Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Leg grippers...hmmm...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I really like my PI Symphony shorts, but I don't love them. The waist looks like a flat-paneled front, but there is a snugger band of elastic inside the waist, so they feel kind of like a wide drawstring.

I'm also thinking I may want a somewhat higher-end chamois if I end up doing a ~150 mile ride across the state on Aug. 20.

I've tried the PI PRO In-R-Cool short and LOVE the fit of the entire short...except for the stupid leg bands at the bottom. They give me bad sausage leg and caused the shorts to rub an wear after just a couple of rides. Bummer.

I picked up a pair of the PI PRO Leader shorts in the same size, but they are WAY small...and they lack silicone leg grippers. I had considered simply buying a larger size, but I'm not sure how well short without grippers will work. I have had several pairs of compression shorts over the years for running and the ONLY pair that didn't ride up on me was a pair of PI shorts with leg grippers (and those jerks no longer make these shorts, so I'm more than a bit peeved about that. I got one of the last pair in my size from TE).

I've seen other shorts on TE that look intriguing, but so many lack leg grippers (or have awful, itchy latex ones)...I'm not convinced they will stay in place and the only way to find out is to ride with them on--which eliminates the option to return them.

Has anyone with shorts-riding-up issues found a non-grippered short that actually stays put?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

LG Neo Power. Basically IME, if they don't have grippers, they have to be long enough to clear the adductor muscles in riding position. And the chamois in the Neo Powers is good for as long as you want it.

Most of my shorts with grippers still have enough grip to stay in place if I turn the grippers out. But a lot of them (like the Shebeest SSS) wind up being too short if I do that. If you plan to turn the grippers out, make sure you're buying shorts about an inch longer than you want them to wind up.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-06-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I love my non-leg gripper shorts. I have several pairs now and I'm never going back to shorts with grippers. It's so much better not that have that thing down there itching and catching and sticking to your skin while you ride.

I've got some Shebeest, LG and Castelli shorts with no grippers and I have yet to have a problem with any of them having ride up.

PI has their Elite IN-R-Cool shorts and bibs - and the leg grippers do not have the same problem as their PRO shorts/bibs. It doesn't make sense to me that this would be different but it is. At least it is that way for their drop-tail bibs, I suspect the same difference would be found in their shorts.

Why not call TE and ask them if the same differences exists in the Elite IN-R-Cool shorts. Of course the chamois is different, for me I really do like the 3D chamois in their Elite line, especially for longer distances. TE won't carry the PRO IN-R-Cool bibs because of the leg gripper problem - they sent them all back.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    LG Neo Power. Basically IME, if they don't have grippers, they have to be long enough to clear the adductor muscles in riding position. And the chamois in the Neo Powers is good for as long as you want it.

Most of my shorts with grippers still have enough grip to stay in place if I turn the grippers out. But a lot of them (like the Shebeest SSS) wind up being too short if I do that. If you plan to turn the grippers out, make sure you're buying shorts about an inch longer than you want them to wind up.
    I'd love to try the Neo Powers...if they made a shorter version. Anything longer than 8" starts making my already short/stubby legs look like cinderblocks with pants. 7" is really my ideal short length, as they come down to just below mid-thigh.

Catrin, that is weird that the leg bands on the Elite level PI shorts would be so different than the PRO level ones. I really want to try the pro chamois, too, but I'm kind of striking-out on ones to try at this point.

I guess I may have to try a pair of gripperless shorts and see how they work for me. I'm just so leery after my issues with every other non-cycling compression short.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    ... I really want to try the pro chamois, too, but I'm kind of striking-out on ones to try at this point.

I guess I may have to try a pair of gripperless shorts and see how they work for me. I'm just so leery after my issues with every other non-cycling compression short.
    Why not give TE staff a call? They might have an idea. I wouldn't mind trying the PRO chamois as well, and I am sure they have other shorts without that same leg gripper problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Why not give TE staff a call? They might have an idea. I wouldn't mind trying the PRO chamois as well, and I am sure they have other shorts without that same leg gripper problem.
    I think I will do that in the next day or so. Perhaps they can steer me toward shorts with chamois placement that will work for me, too. I'm so leery to move away from PI, since I had tried so many other brands and none had a chamois that was placed right for me (nearly everything else sat back too far for my anatomy)
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I'm a huge of LG bibs/shorts. I haven't used PI in about 3 years and can't imagine ever going back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I think I will do that in the next day or so. Perhaps they can steer me toward shorts with chamois placement that will work for me, too. I'm so leery to move away from PI, since I had tried so many other brands and none had a chamois that was placed right for me (nearly everything else sat back too far for my anatomy)
    Every time I try non-PI chamois I regret it, so I know what you mean. I really like the 3D Elite chamois. I do have two pairs of Terry shorts - their Liberty shorts I can't tolerate for more than 40-45 minutes, the chamois is just too minimal or placed wrong, can't figure out which. Terry also has a liner short with pink waistband and grippers that came with my baggy short that my body seems to like better. Haven't been brave enough to wear it for more than a 20 mile ride, but it seems find for that.

Catrin, I think we must have weird butts. I *like* the 3D Elite chamois, but it feels perhaps less dense and more bulky than what I really want...but it's placed perfectly. So many shorts have chamois that look appealing to me, but I suspect won't be placed in the short to fit me. I blame it on my severe sway-back and bubble butt.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I'm becoming allergic to the silicone grippers. I have found a few shorts without grippers, but they don't have substantial enough padding for a long ride. Seems like even when I turn up the grippers I still itch. I'm getting a rash from the silicone, especially in hot weather.

Not all who wander are lost