Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swim stroke options

To disable ads, please log-in.

After all my training this year I have decided to sign up for a triathlon next summer. I am doing a duathlon in August, but I miss the swim training. I am proficient with the back stroke and the freestyle. Is there another stroke I can add to my list? Is the head up freestyle an option? I am looking for efficient for about .62 miles. I did the back stroke for my first triathlon and would rather not repeat that experience.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    heads-down, regular freestyle is going to be your best option. You said you're proficient in freestyle. So if you're asking about heads-up freestyle- is there a reason you can't put your head in the water and do bi-lateral (or single sided) breathing?
    You'll naturally lift your head to the front when sighting (every 3-5 strokes or whatever is comfortable for you),but a regular freestyle stroke is your best and most efficient one.

I've seen people do breaststroke in a tri, but having been kicked by someone twice doing the breaststroke, I think it's not an appropriate stroke to do when people are around (one time it knocked the breath out of me, the other time it kicked my goggles off and left me with a black eye- those kicks are powerful). I guess if you did the breaststroke to the side and nobody is around it would be OK.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I get freaked out by putting my head in murky/ dark water. That was why I ended up backstroking my swim the first race I did. I don't know of any places to practice open water swimming near me, so I am stuck with the pool and mental exercises to get over my issue.

I am going to try to become efficient with the side stroke to see if that is possible. I can't breast stroke because of knee issues.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    oooo... side stroke would be good! I didn't even think of that one.
    I totally understand the murky water freaking you out! Our lakes here are red mud dark and you can't see your hand at the end of your arm in front of you. The first few times I got super freaked out, then slowly learned to not let it bother me. For the most part, I close my eyes when my head is down- which is odd because it's not like I can see anything even if my eyes were open.
    I guess not seeing what's in the lake is probably better- I'm sure there are some mean looking catfish, or snakes or dead bodies I'd rather not be seeing anyway.

How about swimming in the pool with your eyes closed- only looking up every few strokes to sight? Maybe that would help?

Good luck to you- I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you. I can't imagine doing backstroke. I'm horrible sighter while doing freestyle, I can't imagine not looking in the direction of travel at all. Backstroke is impressive
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 07-03-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I got through much of my first OWS triathlon using sidestroke; sighting can be an issues if you are on the wrong side, as I was.

Best thing to do is work on your murky water issues and swim standard freestyle.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    heads-down, regular freestyle is going to be your best option. You said you're proficient in freestyle. So if you're asking about heads-up freestyle- is there a reason you can't put your head in the water and do bi-lateral (or single sided) breathing?
    You'll naturally lift your head to the front when sighting (every 3-5 strokes or whatever is comfortable for you),but a regular freestyle stroke is your best and most efficient one.

I've seen people do breaststroke in a tri, but having been kicked by someone twice doing the breaststroke, I think it's not an appropriate stroke to do when people are around (one time it knocked the breath out of me, the other time it kicked my goggles off and left me with a black eye- those kicks are powerful). I guess if you did the breaststroke to the side and nobody is around it would be OK.
    +1 to all that. Breaststroke is great for general open-water swimming if you're not in a crowd since it's relaxing and makes sighting really easy, but in the middle of a bunch of people it would be kind of rude! I can't imagine swimming in the midst of a gazillion people anyway (seems like one would get kicked/hit a lot even if people aren't swimming breaststroke)...guess I will have to get over that if I decide to sign up for any open-water races.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    +1 to all that. Breaststroke is great for general open-water swimming if you're not in a crowd since it's relaxing and makes sighting really easy, but in the middle of a bunch of people it would be kind of rude! I can't imagine swimming in the midst of a gazillion people anyway (seems like one would get kicked/hit a lot even if people aren't swimming breaststroke)...guess I will have to get over that if I decide to sign up for any open-water races.
    Triathlon, the sport where swimming is a full contact sport!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

One way to approach this is to alternate between standard freestyle and sidestroke--that way, you are a) teaching yourself gradually to tolerate the freestyle part, and b) allowing yourself to have planned breaks from it so you won't panic. Try a specific plan, like 8 strokes of freestyle, 8 side, etc., or whatever number might work for you.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    One way to approach this is to alternate between standard freestyle and sidestroke--that way, you are a) teaching yourself gradually to tolerate the freestyle part, and b) allowing yourself to have planned breaks from it so you won't panic. Try a specific plan, like 8 strokes of freestyle, 8 side, etc., or whatever number might work for you.
    I love that idea, it is doable and feels empowering. Telling myself I just have to get through 8 strokes of freestyle then a break. Mentally that is a challenge I can manage.

Interestingly I didn't know there could be a bad side for sighting. I think this means I will need to side stroke on my right so I can see the buoys. Thank you for all the suggestions, it really helps. Now all I have to do is patiently wait for registration to open up for next year's race

Quote Originally Posted by jef09 View Post
    I love that idea, it is doable and feels empowering. Telling myself I just have to get through 8 strokes of freestyle then a break. Mentally that is a challenge I can manage.

Interestingly I didn't know there could be a bad side for sighting. I think this means I will need to side stroke on my right so I can see the buoys. Thank you for all the suggestions, it really helps. Now all I have to do is patiently wait for registration to open up for next year's race
    Yeah, if your back is to the buoys, it's hard to sight them
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

My mother in law did sidestroke through her first triathlon- and beyond. My first race I was so amped I ended up breaststroking, carefully. It took a few before I could really get a good rhythm. You do what you have to, but backstroke is definitely a rough choice. Sidestroke sounds better. Lots of breaststroking happens around buoys and when swimming into the sun.

I like the plan to get used to freestyle. I use the counting technique when I'm tired of running but want to keep going - it's more useful than "to that landmark" for me for some reason. I use it for swimming in the pool as a "swim hard for X strokes" thing, too.

Good luck!! You've got plenty of time to work on it.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I just swam a mile in the ocean this morning...it seems I need to work on getting used to doing freestyle in open water myself! I started out doing freestyle but soon switched to breaststroke because it makes sighting so much easier and makes it easier to avoid looking straight down at the weeds etc. moving on the bottom and getting dizzy. It took me 40 minutes to make the swim...my goal was to swim to a jetty about 1.5 miles down the beach but I got out early b/c I was feeling pretty cold (let's just say this area isn't known for warm water...where I got in it wasn't bad but then I hit a significantly colder stretch and started to feel it). I'm sure freestyle would have been faster; maybe next time I'll try sticking with it the whole way and see how it goes.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Freestyle is you go-to stroke. When I get tired I do backstroke but nothing else.

If you can get in some open water practice before the race I've heard that's really helpful. Also you might think about sighting every X breaths, instead of strokes. I find it difficult to count strokes but I can count breaths, and I breathe every 3 or 5 strokes.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Most definitely get a lot of open water swimming practice in with a swim buddy or a coach. I panicked heavily the first time I went out to the lake and could not see the bottom as everyone had kicked up the silt.

There was one girl who did the entire swim backstroke. She would roll over to sight; it was odd, but whatever works for her.

And I have definitely gotten kicked by someone swimming breaststroke.