Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bike shorts

Bike shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some information on bike shorts.

I have been riding for quite a while, but generally for short trips, now I am really getting into cycling for longer distances. I went on a bike tour/camping trip on gravel roads and ended up with some soreness and chafing. I have been reading up on the saddles and am thinking of buying a Brooks, but I think the shorts must have something to do with my problems.

There seems to be quite a variety of shorts styles, chamois etc and quite a price range. I am not sure how to decide what I need. I have a couple of pairs of inexpensive shorts, they are OK for short rides, but I am wondering if investing in some more pricey ones is worth it or not.

Also wondering about chamois creams, seems like they would be messy and decrease the breathability of the shorts..

I've got shorts from all price ranges. I will have to say my favorites are my more expensive ones (the $80 shorts versus the $40 shorts) with the thinner chamois. But I think it's more personal preference than anything else. I find thicker chamois make my legs numb on long rides from the pressure, so I mostly buy tri shorts now. I think the biggest thing to know about shorts to prevent chaffing and irritation is to always wear a clean pair (one use only per pair before washing) and take them off as soon as you are done riding.

For chamois cream... I really like using it. I use the Hoo-Ha Ride Glide and find that it really helps keep my skin protected. I thought the same as you that it would cause everything to get all stuffy in there and with the sweat and everything, but actually I didn't notice that at all. What I did notice is that my skin doesn't get irritated and raw and the tea tree oil smell it has helps cover up the sweaty gross smell.

It's worth getting some more expensive shorts. My favorites are actually mid-range (probably $90). I have some $120 ones that I got on sale, and while they're nice, the chamois is a bit much for me. They're really a matter of personal preference, so try a bunch.

Chamois cream...Personally, I don't use it. It can help, though, and they don't have to be messy. Just apply it directly to you (and not the chamois), and it really shouldn't be a problem.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

In addition to the suggestion above- be sure the shorts fit correctly. I did a 60 mile ride in shorts that were too big, and I had some chaffing that made the last half of the ride and the next few dayas really uncomfortable, right under my sit bones). (I was losing weight and had "shrunk" out of my shorts and needed a smaller size).
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    In addition to the suggestion above- be sure the shorts fit correctly. I did a 60 mile ride in shorts that were too big, and I had some chaffing that made the last half of the ride and the next few dayas really uncomfortable, right under my sit bones). (I was losing weight and had "shrunk" out of my shorts and needed a smaller size).
    +1. I think there's a rule of thumb that says to buy the smallest shorts you can fit into. There's some truth to that.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    +1. I think there's a rule of thumb that says to buy the smallest shorts you can fit into. There's some truth to that.
    But not so small that the compression from the waist band makes your intestines upset. I have to be really careful with that - having heartburn 40 miles from home really stinks.

I love my PI shorts for long ride (just make sure you don't get the sugar short unless you want short shorts), I also really like the higher end Performance brand shorts and they are cheap comparativly speaking plus they have a great return policy.I think you just have to keep trying until you find what you like.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodLG_1050369.html

Louis Garneau Neo Power shorts. Love em. Replaced my SheBeest shorts when they changed the cut. The LG doesn't have a waist band--just high waisted. Also run a little long, but a cycling tan is lose-lose anyway! I love these so much I bought a second pair right away so I can alternate.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by TrekTheKaty View Post

Louis Garneau Neo Power shorts. Love em. Replaced my SheBeest shorts when they changed the cut. The LG doesn't have a waist band--just high waisted. Also run a little long, but a cycling tan is lose-lose anyway! I love these so much I bought a second pair right away so I can alternate.
    +1 on the LG Neo Power shorts. I think they are the number one selling item on TE for a reason. I loved mine so much that I bought the bibs for the DH for Father's Day. He was riding in a more expensive pair of Gore bibs and he says he'll only ride in the LG Neo's from now on.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all the advice! You have been really helpful. I think I am ready to do some shopping. Going to go for some smaller shorts and give the chamois cream a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavigne View Post
    +1 on the LG Neo Power shorts. I think they are the number one selling item on TE for a reason. I loved mine so much that I bought the bibs for the DH for Father's Day. He was riding in a more expensive pair of Gore bibs and he says he'll only ride in the LG Neo's from now on.
    Where did you find Neo bibs? I realize these are men's that we're talking about here, but that's okay...as I'd be willing to try 'em anyways.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Where did you find Neo bibs? I realize these are men's that we're talking about here, but that's okay...as I'd be willing to try 'em anyways.
    I got them online. Just google it and you'll find lots of sites. The strange thing is that the reviews for the women's shorts say to go up a size but the reviews for the men's bibs say to go down a size. DH was riding in medium Gore's but they felt a little big on him so I got him the small Neo's and they fit perfectly. Most sites have great return policies so you can't go wrong.

Does anyone have any large LG shorts - size 14 - they are willing to sell? Also, how long are the legs on them? I'd like mine to be right above the knee. Does anyone make any that long?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekTheKaty View Post

I completely agree. I have a pair of SheBeest Century shorts, some Pearl Izumi Select shorts, and the LG Neo shorts, and the LG's are hands down the best. I've been saving them all week to ride on tomorrow's century!
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W
    198? Univega Nuovo Sport 42/16 fixed gear conversion
    1979 Peugeot 44/18 fixed gear conversion