Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Tour de France 2011 talk

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone else is looking forward to the start of the Tour? Yesterday was the team presentation (some weird picture galleries -- the presentation took place in a fake Colosseum). The argyle is back on the Garmin Cervelo jersey. I like it -- a lot less black on it, so it will be easier to tell them apart from Team Sky or Leopard:

I'll be rooting for Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky.

WoooHooo it's Tour time. Jeepers! I remember watching Greg Lemond win and then Miguel Indurain's total dominance of the race.

I also remember way back in the day and hearing mention of Eddie Merckx and Laurent Fignon although Le Tour wasn't shown on Brit telly way back then.

I'm new to watching it...but looking forward to it! In the states, is it usually on ESPN? Versus?

Quote Originally Posted by jlnc View Post
    I'm new to watching it...but looking forward to it! In the states, is it usually on ESPN? Versus?
    It is on Versus. It will run live in the mornings, starting anywhere from 6 to 8 AM eastern. Then rerun in the afternoons. And then a taped version with more commentary in the evenings.

I've been known to watch it each time through the course of one day.

Yeah! Tour starts on my bday. I've already informed friends and coworkers I will be unavailable this month. My heart is with Team Radio Shack, but I'm picking Andy Schleck to win. Is it me or is Team Leopard/Trek the best looking team?
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Thanks Possegal! 6am huh? Hmmm, maybe I will wait for the taped edition later in the day...I'm not that hardcore. (Yet!) I have a feeling it will become addictive!

Mostly it starts at 8 on Versus -- the early starts are for the big mountain stages.

I generally record the live morning broadcast with Phil and Paul, then watch that at night instead of the prime time Americanized version.

(Of course Comcast decided to "upgrade" my on-screen guide and DVR software last week, and I've been having so many problems since then that I'm worried my recordings will get messed up. As it is I need to program every day separately to make sure it gets set up right.)

Thor looked really weird in that wig...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

And here's a nice little appetizer...

http://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-fra...viewer-s-guide

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by jlnc View Post
    Thanks Possegal! 6am huh? Hmmm, maybe I will wait for the taped edition later in the day...I'm not that hardcore. (Yet!) I have a feeling it will become addictive!
    Yeah, the 6AM ones are only a few and they are the days that they will be pedaling up the mountains for many hours. My family also does what NY biker does and DVRs the live broadcast as there is a lot more Phil and Paul in that one. I've also been known to stream it on one monitor at work, while working on the other monitor.

I'm going to go through withdrawal this year though, since last year I was in Rotterdam and Brussels or the first few stages. I want to be there again this year!

We don't have cable so we are purchasing the online service for El Tour, which we did last year. You can watch live or start anytime after and watch any sections you want.

Our local Carmichael Training Center is having an open house on the next 3 Weds evenings, from 5-6:30 to watch the race, with their own commentary and free energy bars and drinks for refreshments. I think we will stop by at least once.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Wow. TdF. Seems like this past year just flew by. I can't believe it's July again.

I hope Andy finds his form, I'm really rooting for him, but TRS is close to my heart too!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

BTW, we should make it clear now: are spoilers allowed in this thread?

I can't watch video on my pc at work, so I usually follow major races via the live on-screen commentary on velonews.com. It can be surprisingly exciting, even though it's just words on a screen.

Also I see updates on twitter from the various cycling people I follow. I love it when Graham Watson stops at a cafe mid-race to upload photos via his ipad.

Gone but not forgotten:

"Meanwhile, Andy Schleck doesn’t seem to have the same capacity for ruthlessness. Consider “Chaingate.” After Contador rode away from him on Stage 15, Schleck said “my stomach is full of anger.” However, he acted more like I do when my stomach is full of dessert, which is to say he got all docile and cuddly, and by the end of Stage 17 they were hugging and kissing on the top of the Tourmalet."

Um, yeah. That's true.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

23 days of heaven! I watch online and since I work from home I find something to do that allows me to watch in front of my laptop! Usually it's something like glazing tiles for a convention coming up. I LOVE Tour Time!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekTheKaty View Post
    "Meanwhile, Andy Schleck doesn’t seem to have the same capacity for ruthlessness. Consider “Chaingate.” After Contador rode away from him on Stage 15, Schleck said “my stomach is full of anger.” However, he acted more like I do when my stomach is full of dessert, which is to say he got all docile and cuddly, and by the end of Stage 17 they were hugging and kissing on the top of the Tourmalet."

Um, yeah. That's true.
    Hilarious! That'd be more my riding style, "my stomach is full of dessert."