Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

When do you burn more calories?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi or low gear? pedaling faster but moving slower or pedaling slow with more resistance but moving faster?...just wondering. I am commuting to work and a I am loving it!... but at the same time I want to take advantage and burn as much calories as I can during my rides but I also want to gain strength on my legs. It looks like I burn more when I use the low gear instead of high gear in the same amount of time getting to my destiny.

Need some inputs

Which one raises your heartrate more? Option 2 would kill my knees. My thinking is that option 1 is better for cardio and 2 is better for strength.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I've read that the idea of "fat-burning exercise" is largely a myth, it's total amount that counts. I found a decent link here:

http://www.hornetjuice.com/fat-burning-myths.html

"Yes, it is true that you burn a greater percentage of fat during low intensity exercise (actually you burn the greatest percentage of fat during sleep which is the ultimate in low intensity activity). However, the total number of calories burned is less so the absolute number of fat calories burned is less."

Varying intensity is good for training in other ways, though, for building strength or speed, or working on technique.

Edited to add: sorry, I read too fast. You didn't ask about fat, but about total calories. I think the principle is still the same, the harder you work, the more muscle you build and the more calories you burn.
    Last edited by lph; 06-26-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Whichever you can do the longest.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Which one raises your heartrate more? Option 2 would kill my knees. My thinking is that option 1 is better for cardio and 2 is better for strength.
    I am not sure...I think option 2

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I've read that the idea of "fat-burning exercise" is largely a myth, it's total amount that counts. I found a decent link here:

http://www.hornetjuice.com/fat-burning-myths.html

"Yes, it is true that you burn a greater percentage of fat during low intensity exercise (actually you burn the greatest percentage of fat during sleep which is the ultimate in low intensity activity). However, the total number of calories burned is less so the absolute number of fat calories burned is less."

Varying intensity is good for training in other ways, though, for building strength or speed, or working on technique.

Edited to add: sorry, I read too fast. You didn't ask about fat, but about total calories. I think the principle is still the same, the harder you work, the more muscle you build and the more calories you burn.
    Very interesting Info...thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Whichever you can do the longest.
    Low gear at a fast pace

Thanks for the inputs ladies...

Whichever one keeps your heart rate the highest. It would differ for different people so there isn't a definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bathedinshadow View Post
    Whichever one keeps your heart rate the highest. It would differ for different people so there isn't a definitive answer.
    Agreed, each of our bodies are different and our bodies do become more efficient through exercise and proper diet. 3 years ago, when I was 60 pounds heavier, I didn't have to do much to drop 1 pound, or even 5...that changed of course. Our bodies adapt to our activity level so this is also something to keep in mind as time continues. As our cardiovascular endurance increases it does become more difficult to raise the heart rate.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-02-2012 at 03:31 AM.