Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weekly miles and barriers

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have FINALLY gotten my mileage up to 100 miles a week - this was my first week. Last summer my weekly average was rather higher - but I finished the season with all of those over-use injuries... 100 miles/week for an average is just fine.

Am I the only one who has had trouble this year getting her mileage base up to where she wants it? With this crazy spring I just could NOT get out consistently, and then we went from needing warm bike clothes to 90+ temps in the space of two weeks!

While I am pleased I am up to my weekly goal, I am not pleased with the length of my rides. It has to do with the scar tissue in my quad from last year and when starts talking to me... Patience, I know, patience. This weekend I will see if I can knock it up a notch, though it will be pretty hot Saturday. Will take lots of water, take breaks and listen to my body. I should be able to at least break 40 miles Saturday. If 32 isn't a problem, then 40 should be fine if I stay hydrated.

Regardless it will be fun For some odd reason I LIKE riding in the heat, don't ask me why...

I am struggling. My longest ride so far 12 miles, weekly mileage 50. The 'pluses' - I lost 49#, but the 'big negative' - I broke my ankle last December in 3 places and still struggling with this. Anyways I'm happy with the weight lost, it makes cycling easier - I'm going to keep riding, more miles and often.
    Last edited by surgtech1956; 06-30-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Yikes, recovery from anything dealing with feet is hard, I think you are doing great! I am riding more frequently during the week than I did last year - but I've also stopped spinning class outside of when it rains, and while I still do strength training it is only twice a week and more for maintenance. So more rides, even if they are shorter than I would like, seems to be helping This also gives less reason for that scar tissue in my quad to complain, priceless

I did 162 miles this month (yeah, I know), for an average of 40 a week (there was a week in there that I didn't ride, but still). The very wet spring didn't help anything, but right now, if I ride more than two days in a row, my knees start complaining. The major mental barrier is regularly completing 30-mile rides, as this is the first season I've actually been riding distances consistently. Physically, it's not a problem, as I've done it before. On top of that, I'm trying not to do too much because last year I did way more miles in one week than I should have and burned myself out on riding until September.

Surgtech, good for you!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I keep tweaking my right knee. It doesn't hurt a lot but I am definitely made aware of its existence. I can usually "feel" it at the beginning of my rides and then the kinks work out. Sometimes I think I need to ice it and other times I think it is okay. Today I am icing. I'll have 5 days off from riding because of travel for the holiday weekend so hopefully that will help.

I've only be riding 60 - 80 miles a week. Thinking I will get a professional fitting done (except I am putting it off because I feel a bit silly getting it done when I still use my flat pedals...) and if my knee still bothers me then I'll go see a doc before it turns into something more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho View Post
    I keep tweaking my right knee. It doesn't hurt a lot but I am definitely made aware of its existence. I can usually "feel" it at the beginning of my rides and then the kinks work out. Sometimes I think I need to ice it and other times I think it is okay. Today I am icing. I'll have 5 days off from riding because of travel for the holiday weekend so hopefully that will help.

I've only be riding 60 - 80 miles a week. Thinking I will get a professional fitting done (except I am putting it off because I feel a bit silly getting it done when I still use my flat pedals...) and if my knee still bothers me then I'll go see a doc before it turns into something more serious.
    A professional bike fit... is SO worth it!

So what if you are using platforms? Chances are your knee pain could be helped-eliminated with a great fit. Sorry if this is injury or otherwise related and I'm just not clued in here responding. I rode a long time in pain guessing why... until I got a reputable fit. World of difference.

Hope things work out for you soon.

Haven't been riding what I would like either with teaching too much spin class inside, old crash injury pain, and vacations-travel etc. Just been doing some casual riding with the family and on my xc bici few miles. Going campnig for the 4th holiday and hoping to hit the mtb trail, and more casual riding. Road riding just hasn't taken off yet. Hoping that will change in the month of July.

thanks, Miranda! The knee is directly related to the bike riding. It has actually gotten better as I have adjusted my bike on my own. I aggravated it again yesterday by pushing my speed. I know what I need to do to avoid stressing it. Go easier on longer rides and not try to go "all out" on the shorter rides. The good thing is it is getting better, even if it is slow progress. Because of the marked improvement I am not too worried. But when I am icing the knee it does make me pause. The pro fit is definitely in order. I love riding and want to continue so I think it is a wise investment.

Catrin, my weekly average is not that much most of the time. Yes, the weather really affected it this spring, but it seems no matter what, I end up with the same total mileage each year. Some years, because of weather or long tours, I do more.
    I stopped stressing about it. There are only so many hours in the day and we can't control the weather. I find, it usually boils down to 2 short rides a week (15 miles or so), one a bit longer, like 25, and one long ride of 40+ miles. It's rare that I do 2 long rides in a week, unless I am on vacation.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My weekly average has gone down a lot from last season. Mostly due to major construction along my commuting rout. It was long to begin with 1.5 hours but with the added construction to bypass, it added a half hour, to make it a 2 hour commute one way!!!!!

On the flip side though, they plan to extend the bike path in this construction project. It will basically go right to my job now so, it will be worth the headache.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Also struggling...

Hi,

I have been struggling to get my weekly average up too. I never really paid attention to it last year but this year I've been trying to keep track of my mileage.

I've been trying to get up to 100 miles a week in but seems to be nigh on impossible Its really difficult with the weather in the UK just recently. So when the weather is fine I try to make an effort to go out.

Unfortunately, I think I may have over done it, and I now have knee pain which I've never had before

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho View Post
    I keep tweaking my right knee......
    What does platform pedals have to do with not getting a fitting? There are many factors involved that can affect your knees outside of your pedals. Now, frankly, you may learn that you will need to clip in to save your knees - there are quite knee friendly clipless pedals out there (my Frogs are a great example, but there are others). This doesn't mean, however, that a professional fitting by someone who understands what he or she is doing may not address the problem.

My caveat is from the fact that there are LBS out there who offer "professional fittings" but their fitting staff only know how to use the tools of the trade - but do not really understand them or how to adjust to different physical needs. A good professional fitter, IMO, is worth more than they charge - and they aren't cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, my weekly average is not that much most of the time. Yes, the weather really affected it this spring, but it seems no matter what, I end up with the same total mileage each year. Some years, because of weather or long tours, I do more.
    I stopped stressing about it. There are only so many hours in the day and we can't control the weather. I find, it usually boils down to 2 short rides a week (15 miles or so), one a bit longer, like 25, and one long ride of 40+ miles. It's rare that I do 2 long rides in a week, unless I am on vacation.
    Thanks Crankin. I've not really been stressing about it, just a little frustrating that I've not been able to ride as I would like. Until this week Frankly I think it is the quad scar tissue that is the frustrating part, but am working it out the best I can.

Am trying to ride no more than 4 days a week, three 20-25 mile rides and a longer one. Because of the scar tissue the longer ride isn't where I want to it to be yet - but tomorrow am shooting for my first 40 miler this year

Catrin is right about not letting platform pedals be a deterrent to getting a good fitting. Most really good fitters are adept at fitting everyone from casual cyclists to elite racers. They'll take your preferences into consideration, (like platform pedals), & make recommendations. If you don't want to use some of their recommendations, they'll work with you to get you as comfortable as possible with your preferred equipment.

In my experience, I went to two fitters that I perceived to focus on recreational cyclists. I avoided the fitter with the national reputation thinking that he worked only with elite cyclists, (and he was expensive!). It turned out that neither of the first two fitters were able to resolve my problems. The fitter with the national reputation was happy to work with this recreational cyclist & knew exactly what to do resolve my long standing issues.

It turned out that I wasted my money on the first two fits. I would have saved money and been more comfortable on my bike right from the beginning had I just gone to the guy with the national reputation first.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

heh heh

I'm not riding much at all.

Working on the house is taking all available time, energy, thought, attention, and every other resource too.

The irony is that we wanted the house for its big garage, which we pretty much don't need since there's so little riding and I wanted to be able to play piano any time of day or night without bugging the neighbors, but my hands are too trashed from hammering, scraping, painting and pounding that I can hardly play anymore at all.

Somebody ride a few miles for me, okay?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.