Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone in the Eugene/Springfield area?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I frequented this board a few years ago when I lived in Tempe, AZ. Since then I have lost my job, moved, got a new job here in lovely Eugene, and started the process of a divorce. So yes, many changes (but all for the better!). I bought a Trek 7.2 FX a little over a year ago and have been commuting to work about half the time with it. I've gone on a few short rides alone in my area (Amazon Park area), but am looking to do something more and maybe find a group to ride with. After all, one of the main reasons I wanted to move was so that I could live in a more bicycle friendly community and climate (yes, climate...I'll ride in the cold rain before the blazing heat any day!). I've started looking around on the GEARs website, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or any other groups here. I'm far from a hardcore rider, although I think I could get to be decent with a little more practice. I used to regulary do 20 or so mile rides in Phoenix in the heat of the summer (but those were very flat), so I could probably start in that range. I guess I just feel a little bit intimidated and am not sure where to start.

check local bike shops. Many of them will have weekend group rides. Not all of them are geared toward racing. After all, those who can afford the expensive bikes are those who are older and more established. Ask if they have a social group ride where its not about speed or distance.

A smart bike shop would cater to the older crowd. They are the ones who can afford the high end equipment: Ridley, Cervelo, Colnago, Trek... Ultegra, DuraAce, Chorus...
    Last edited by smilingcat; 06-30-2011 at 07:06 PM.