Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Good golly Miss Molly, the stuff this girl learns on this forum!

A thoughtful topic to bring up, LovesFrance. I am just always impressed with the support on this forum. Makes ya feel comfortable sharing some otherwise sensitive topics.

Thank you Veronica for the website on the Keeper. I'm getting one, too! I think this will solve some real discomfort / sanitary issues I thought I'd just have to suffer with out on those epic long rides...not to mention the camping trips!

Get in an epic ride / adventure this week girls!

Hill Nelly
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    (While we live, let us LIVE!)

I"m not sure if the keeper is one of those ones that you have to wash out before re-using. I'd be curious too as that would present a whole other set of problems. somehow I always have heavy surprise break though bleeding when it's just me and six guys out in the backcountry. Tampons and ziplocks has been the way I've had to go in teh backcountry (bikeing or anything else) , for lack of any better ideas.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I've been using the Keeper for about 3 cycles now. It takes some getting used to, but I think it is well worth it. Just returned from trip and didn't leave one "clue" behind at the in-laws.
    Read all the info on the mentioned websites and what they send you with the Keeper. It was not hard to insert, but learning to take it out is a bear! Make sure you break the suction completely or it really hurts (voice of experience!) They say you can keep it inserted up to 12 hours; I have done that with no problem. When removed and emptied, they recommend either rinsing it out or just wiping it out . One woman said she carries a small water bottle with her to rinse it off in public restrooms.
    I do have a little breakthrough on occasion; I've made little cotton reusable pads to use early on in my flow.
    I think it's a great product given the convenience and no more trash!

Questions about the Keeper

1. how do you think it would be for the backcountry... no running water? (for hand washing or rinsing) I assume you'd have to bury the blood? I ride a lot way out in the mountains, backpack too and sometimes in bear country. I used to take a diaphragm out in the back country( for other reasons, haha) and that sucked big time.

2. How does it handle extremely heavy ( and I do mean HEAVY) flow... the kind where a super lasts maybe an hour or two?

thank you

Irulan
    Last edited by Irulan; 04-22-2003 at 09:37 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

how is it near the end, when everything is really light???

BTW - keeper.com doesn't have the latex ones right now. they are selling an alternative medical grade silicone one for about 5$ less than the latex one ...
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

Re: Questions about the Keeper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irulan
    [B]1. how do you think it would be for the backcountry... no running water? (for hand washing or rinsing) I assume you'd have to bury the blood

I used to read the Women's Pages on www.backpacker.com and a lot of women used it without a problem. Yes, you have to empty the blood into a cat hole and clean up after, but apparently it's not any more attractive to the various critters than your standard cathole "ingredients". Yes, you need to clean hands after, but again I think this is SOP after most cathole activities .

2. How does it handle extremely heavy ( and I do mean HEAVY) flow... the kind where a super lasts maybe an hour or two?

I can't really answer that one since I haven't had a heavy flow since I received the Keeper, but the recommendation is to change it as often as you would change your tampon. A pad (bandana?) just in case would probably be a good idea.

I can report that it works just fine at the end when you're just spotting lightly. That's when I could go 12 hours between changes, which was nice when traveling on planes all day long!

Nancy

Nancy - thank you, thank you! It was reading the testimonials on their site and no one mentions that!

It is SO great to have women out there like you all!!

If you please, I have one more question for any of you:

any comments on medical-grade silicone vs latex rubber? (when I tried to order, I was told that the latex is not available due to supplier issues at the moment, and would I be interested in the medical-grade silicone one)

You always hear about silicon implants and trouble, but this doesn't seem like quite the same situation, so I am thinking I will try it anyway.

thanks for all your help on this ladies!!
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

some folks have latex allergies.

I too really appreciate the nitty grittythat people are sharing here.

I'm asking about the heavy flow issue as my periods have gotten super heavy and short as I've entered my 40's. They don't tell you this will happen. What used to take five days can be over in a day and a half. Talk about heavy and having to be prepared...

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

keeper ....

well, actually "divacup" (www.divacup.com )

--- I tried it and LOVE IT! At first it was really weird, it just looks HUGE! LOL. But then as you get used to it, it's easier. Don't even feel it... Not going back!!! )

The diva cup looks just like the keeper. I tried the keeper once, didn't really work for me, I just couldn't get the seal right (and I did try it for a few cycles). But true to their word they took it back and refunded my money with no questions. I think that I'll try it again, there are accually a couple of store in around Halifax, NS, that carry it.

If you're not keen on mail order (being in Canada its hard to find companines sometimes with reasonable shipping fees) then there maybe some stores where you can buy it. One store is one that specializes in natural products (hemp stuff, things like burt's bees products, etc). The other is called Venus Envy, and I guess is just a women's store, carries books, sex toys, sensual products like message oils.

The Keeper or Cup is excellent - I can really recommend it. I've been using it for over a year now and it did take a little while to get used to, but I wouldn't change back now. I also haven't had a yeast infection in all that time.

It's ideal for cycling as there's nothing exteral to rub or chafe and depending on flow I can leave mine in for 8 or 9 hours. It's also good for start and end of period because unlike tampons it only collects what's there and doesn't become dry and hard.

As for changing -as we're being frank I'll tell you what I do. I used to empty mine then rinse under the tap, but because the wash rooms at work don't have a cubical with basin this became a bit diffcult. Now, when I empy mine I pee on it to rinse it out ( which works suprisingly well). and give it a quick wipe with some loo roll. Urine is also sterile so what could be better. ( However, I do make sure I give it a good wash with soap and warm water twice a day)

I'm sure this would work quite well if you're in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately we don't have bears in England to worry about.!

A question

I've been reading all these posts. Makes me think I should try one or the other of these products since getting older certainly isn't slowing the flow down! Here's a question: What happens if you go a bit too long before emptying the keeper? Does it leak? Does it just back up like a flood waiting to happen? Yikes! I can picture that........

I like MightMitre's emergency cleaning suggestion. Hey, you never know if you are out on a bike ride and there's nowhere to go and definitely nowhere to rinse it out. Gotta do something! Could you wipe it out with a hand wipe or would that not be good for it? I guess a wipe could be used on your hands, at least.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

New embarrasing question

I have a new embarrasing question...I've noticed that in the past few weeks, I've developed an urgency to urinate...like, if I were a male dog, I would do it just right there on the spot (sorry to be so graphic).

I'm not having a bladder/urinary track problem, no infection, no kidney problem, nada...just this "urgency" and a I have to hurry or I'll leak. (Sorry, again...)

I've read about this "problem" among women runners. I wish I could remeber where I'd read about it because I know there has been research studies and it's got a name. Anyone got any ideas or know of where I can find out more about this "problem"?
    Terry

Instead

Just wanted to chime in that I've been using Instead for years. It's available in most grocery and drug stores. Economical, too, as the cups are actually reusable (if washed well and promptly).

Two warnings:
    1) it takes a day or two to get used to, and you'll have to "explore" for comfortable placement... so pick a trial period day that you don't plan riding and let your body adjust.

2) b/c you empty and wash the device (as opposed to discard and replace, as with a tampon), make sure to scout public restrooms with a sink nearby the toilet.

Besides athletic convenience and economical benefits, there are also huge environmental and health benefits to such products. They are much safer for the female body, and it's kind of empowering to get over the 'squeamish' factor that's been engrained in us.

Just my two cents!

INSTEAD

There's also a new product called INSTEAD...It's a cup thing. I LOVE it! It takes a while to get used to, but once you do...it's the best thing since tampons. I get mine at Target. But search the web, I got some free samples and a video from the company