Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Real embarrassing question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Where else could I ask this?
    Ok, over the weekend I had my period. I tried stuffing the string "up there" as much as possible, but after back-to-back rides (and I'm only talking 10-milers), I was sore and kind of swollen. I think it was from irritation from the string. Any suggestions?

I find that my pelvic region is somewhat congested anyway during my period, are you sure its the string?

There's a product used by mountaineering women called "the Keeper" which is more like a menstrual cup to catch the flow. You might try that.

Hey it's not embarassing, we're mostly (all?) women here...

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

re: keeper

A good friend of mine is a huge believer in the keeper. She finds it really comfortable. I believe that she discovered it when she was a bike messenger, and it is super practical for being on your bike all day.
    I personally have never used it, tampons do the trick for me.
    that's why I ride...

Wink

irulan is right. there are no embarassing questions on these boards. we are all VERY supportive of one another.

Thanks so much--for the suggestions, for the reassurance, and mostly for being the kind of women who wouldn't even think of suggesting that I NOT ride during my period. As if!

Very Off Topic

Heavens to Betsey! It would never occur to me to tell someone not to ride EVER!

Does remind me of what my mom told me about tampons when I was a little kid. My brother had a girlfriend who occasionally stayed over and one day when I was snooping in his room I found one in the package. I guess I was about 7. I took it to my mom. She told me it was a sex toy.

Okay this is the same woman who told me to call breasts Body Bombs. I love my mom, but man was she old fashioned about some things.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Smile

0hhhh veronica!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!

I'm so glad we're talking about this! The timing is perfect

What is the Keeper, and where can I buy one? It's been recommended to me before, but no one ever seems to have a source. Tampons are turning from friend to foe for me (yeast infections), and I've been trying to ask around about alternatives. It's kinda funny how uncomfortable some women get with frank talk about body stuff. I kind of figure, well, we both go through this every month, and ask blunt questions whcih I guess makes some folks feel embarrassed. Or something. Glad I found you ladies!

Also, do any of you have experience with that cup-like product? the name is escaping me at the moment, but I've seen them in drugstores.

Have a good day everyone.
    Who needs boys when you have Record?

Yahoo search brought up the following.

http://www.keeper.com/

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

the one in the drug stores is called (I think) Instead. Never used it but am intrigued ...
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

The Keeper can also be found here:

http://www.gladrags.com/alternatives.html

Just wanted to share....
    I get very embarassed talking about this stuff, but being on the forum like this makes it a lot easier! I can ask questions and participate in discussions I would normally be too embarassed to!

PS I ordered the keeper, gonna try it out next month!
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

Veronica,
    Body Bombs??? That is a scream! I bet your mom is a hoot.

I've discovered that wearing the Terramar Bodysensor panties with a lite pad to back of the Tampax under my favorite riding shorts seemed to do the trick for me.

I'm going to keep the cup in mind...sounds like it's pretty safe. I hope all of you who try them in the near future will keep us posted.
    Terry

I teach 5th grade and in the spring I get to do Family Life - lucky me, we cover everything! - to kind of ease the tension for all of us I tell my class about the Body Bombs. It's part of the lecture about calling things by their proper names. I always get this picture of my mom just whipping one off and throwing it at somebody like a water balloon. She's not unendowed either.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

VERONICA...What a scream! I remember when my mom told me I couldn't wear tampons until I got married!!

VELOCITY...Another suggestion for the YI w/ tampons: maybe all-cotton tampons may help. I haven't tried them (although I am prone to YIs, too, tampons don't seem to bother me that way). All natural material may be less irritating. Also, don't use scented tampons or pads--they are killer.