Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by yogabear

I am lucky to only have two days of heavy flow. I have then 2-3 very light days. I am 32 so I have noticed my period has become lighter, but I know that could change. I like the idea of the Keeper, but I don't think it's for me. I like to know what my flow is doing and how much, etc. I practice fertility awareness method of birth control so I like to be in tune with my body...It's how I am, but I think the Keeper seems like a good option for many.
    Lisa
    Hi Lisa! I like to "know what is going on" to, and have actually found the keeper to be a lot more "informative" shall we say than the tampons or pads ... (also, if you really need to know, there *are* measurements on the side too LOL)

Strippers just cut the string-as mentioned.

Terry-I know urine leaking women are quite common but I don't know about that urgent need to pee NOW thing. Kegels are recommended to help the first part (and it doesn't hurt your sex life either!)

I'm a 'heavy' for the first day, light the rest and I can't stand things up there when I'm riding so any but the first day I go without. As has been said, it does all come out in the wash.

Wow, this is a great thread!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

RoadRaven

I highly recommend you use the search function and read about the keeper and diva. You can order them online. They are FABULOUS (I'm a diva person). I first learned about it here too.

Thanks Doc, I will...

Great thread!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Heavens to Betsey! It would never occur to me to tell someone not to ride EVER!

Does remind me of what my mom told me about tampons when I was a little kid. My brother had a girlfriend who occasionally stayed over and one day when I was snooping in his room I found one in the package. I guess I was about 7. I took it to my mom. She told me it was a sex toy.

Okay this is the same woman who told me to call breasts Body Bombs. I love my mom, but man was she old fashioned about some things.

Veronica
    Allowed brothers girlfriend to stay over, and
    she was ok with telling you it was a sex toy?But yet she called breasts Body Bombs... Now that is a rather funny twist of old fashioned. She liked the name of body bombs I think.
    Personally- I would rather tell my daughter about the tampons use, then say sex toy, and raise curiosity way beyond her years. After all if you were 7, you would probably be using tampons in another 7 years, but hopefully not using sex toys in that time.
    My mom informed us girls about menstration when I was
    as young as 6. I had a older sister 6 years older then me. I knew that it was just a part of life and no worries if someday I went potty and there was red on my panties to not freak out. My mom knew of some girls as she grew up that were never informed and absolutely freaked when they started. They thought they were bleeding to death and needed to be in hospital kinda freakin out. sheesha...
    knowledge is a powerful tool.
    I have 2 boys and they have known about women issues for years and they are 13 and 10 now. They are also immune and know the pms signs for the purpose of escaping when the getting is good.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LovesFrance
    Where else could I ask this?
    Ok, over the weekend I had my period. I tried stuffing the string "up there" as much as possible, but after back-to-back rides (and I'm only talking 10-milers), I was sore and kind of swollen. I think it was from irritation from the string. Any suggestions?
    The string can be tucked up between the lips down there. You pull it straight and toward your stomach (to give you reference on the direction) and it can be tucked very nicely, and layed flat, between the lips and the clit (sorry for the crass words, but I am too tired to think of the proper terms).

I have put it there for years... even swimming... and my string always stays put.

more options

Hi,
    I just came across this forum this evening... and in particular this thread. I couldn't help myself from mentioning a couple things that I didn't see posted.
    A camping trick I learned (from climbers-- not cyclist) for cleaning hands and body-- including during your period-- is to use baby wipes. They're fantastic! Keep them in a ziplock or resealing packaging so they don't dry out. I've never used a keeper and don't think I would use wipes to clean anything that went inside me, but everything else goes. Now I like long trips because I no longer feel itchy and gross!!
    For multi-day cycling, especially if you are just relying on your bike shorts during your period, is to have two pairs of shorts. Every evening the dirty one gets washed and then hung off the back of your bike to dry as you ride the next day.
    Great discussion.
    m

Diva Cup

After finding a bunch of posts about the Diva Cup I decided to try one. It took a couple of cycles until I got comfortable using it. It's is great for swimming and running as well. I put it in first thing in the morning the day I'm supposed to start and don't have to take it out until just before I go to bed. I clean it and put it back in for the night. It is great!
    Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

Thumbs up Positive Product Review

I saw this thread many weeks ago and decided to order the Diva Cup...WOW!!! I will never use another tampon or pad again! Not only did I feel cleaner, fresher, and dryer (I live in Florida and the humidity makes you sweat EVERYWHERE ) The odor factor was eliminated. I rode, ran, swam, & slept with no issues and no leakage. I recommend this product to EVERY woman!
    Thank you to whoever posted the link!

light periods?

I was just talking about this topic with a girlfriend...i am switching to longer enduro racing for next year...i have to admit, with my short races, i just ummm...use nothing. my period is very light as it is...which is fine when i am racing for an hour...but now i am racing for 8 hours PLUS (eek). Are any of the menstrual cups preferred for very light flow?

thanks
    Han

Quote Originally Posted by han-grrl
    Are any of the menstrual cups preferred for very light flow?
    Any/all of the cups will work well on a light flow. My period is 1 day of very heavy and 2 days of annoyingly light spotting. I love my cup on the heavy days because I can go twice as long between bathroom stops as I could with tampons. And I really love my cup on the light days because I can just check it twice a day (morning and evening) until my flow is completely done. No more having to drag out a half-dry tampon while risking TSS. **nails on chalkboard noise**

Ugh! Exactly. Dragging out a half dry tampon is horrendous.
    Diva
    Diva
    Diva
    I love it no matter what the flow is.

So i decide one ride, to try and use a tampon, like i said my period is quite lite. OMG!!! I don't even want to describe what it felt like!! I was still in the parking lot, i went behind a tree with some kleenex, took it out (and practically screamed) and threw it out in some kleenex.
    OY i never did that one again.

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    Ugh! Exactly. Dragging out a half dry tampon is horrendous.
    Diva
    Diva
    Diva
    I love it no matter what the flow is.

Oh, also forgot to mention that the cups are great for spotting. I wear my mooncup often when I cycle simply because I spot often when I do physical exercise. Keeps the chamois from getting totally stained and trashed.

Lightbulb

One minor tip that makes a great difference to how useful the Instead cups are, is that you can "burp" it, pardon the grossness. Another way to say this is: you can empty it without removing it. This same action works to break the suction, when you do want to remove it. Great for places where your hands aren't clean in the first place, such as a ride, or a hike, sailing. You are basically covered for a whole day of activity. I don't think they are meant to be re-used, but I suppose that would work too.