Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Speedplay light action clipless pedals but what mountain bike shoes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am leading a bike adventure from Rockwood to DC on GAP & C&O using my Cannondale hybrid. I know in the near future I would want to begin using clipless pedals on my Specialized Ruby road bike. For now, I would like to buy a great pair of mountain bike shoes that I can use with my hybrid for the DC trip this year, but would be compatible with Speedplay clipless pedals when I purchase them next year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Cyclesome; 06-26-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclesome View Post
    I leading a bike adventure from Rockwood to DC on GAP & C&O using my Cannondale hybrid. I know in the near future I would want to begin using clipless pedals on my Specialized Ruby road bike. For now, I would like to buy a great pair of mountain bike shoes that I can use with my hybrid for the DC trip this year, but would be compatible with Speedplay clipless pedals when I purchase them next year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Speedplay Light Action pedals are not compatible with MTB shoes. You'd either have to go with a different pedal--Speedplay Frogs for instance--or use the Light Action with a road shoe and cleat covers for when you want to walk around. Catrin just got some Frogs and seems to really like them.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks! Then I guess I need good mountain bike shoes that are compatible with Speedplay frogs. Any advice?

I'd suggest going to your local LBS and trying on as many shoes as they offer. Go to multiple shops if you can. The only brand that seems to fit me are SIDI because every other brand is too wide in the heel. But there are other brands worth looking at. Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Bontrager come to mind.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'd suggest going to your local LBS and trying on as many shoes as they offer. Go to multiple shops if you can. The only brand that seems to fit me are SIDI because every other brand is too wide in the heel. But there are other brands worth looking at. Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Bontrager come to mind.
    Indy has good advice, for whatever it is worth I was able to install my Frog cleats on the shoes I was using for SPD cleats/pedals. It has to do with the number of bolts in the cleats, not all cleats can be used in all shoes.

I also have a narrow foot, can't afford SIDI. I have a pair of Mavic shoes that fits well, isn't too wide in the heel, and works with Frog pedals. I have these...sadly they only come in white but are quite nice. I've the idea Mavic doesn't have many women's shoes, but I could be mistaken. I really like them because the lugs on the sole are NOT hard plastic like my Bontrager shoes, they are a little grippy and do not slip on pavement. That is why I broke down and purchased another pair of mtn bike shoes.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-26-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Definitely try on several brands. I can't wear Sidi. They're too narrow in the ball of the foot.
    I have a narrowish heel and wide forefoot with a high arch. I have Specialized MTB and Road shoes and I like them. I also like the way Shimano shoes felt.

So it's going to vary depending on your foot type.
    2008 Specialized TriCross | Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2009 Trek Madone 5.2 (WSD) | Terry Falcon X

Before you decide, make sure you are getting something that you will use on your road bike. I had SPD/Mountain shoes and when I used them on my road bike I clearly felt like they were not working for me. The shoes had too much give in the sole and I found that I had a much higher transfer of power when I went with road shoes.

If you are looking for comfortable shoes for a touring ride you may not end up liking them for a road bike. Perhaps it's better/cheaper to use a wide platform for the touring in regular shoes and save the $$ investment for the road bike shoe/pedals later? It's just something to consider.

(I have switched from SPD pedals on my hybrid, to Light Action on my road bike and on my Bike Friday. I use Speedplay pedal covers on the Bike Friday when I just want to tool around. But for long rides I use my SIDI's and cleat covers. More efficient and less work for the feet.)