Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Giant TCR - yay or nay

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone out there own the 43cm Giant TCR? How does it ride? Did it meet your expectations? I'm looking for a bike that's a better fit - I'm 5' tall and my 45cm Raleigh is actually too big. I didn't know a heck of a lot when I bought it, and the LBS I bought it at is full of a bunch of goofballs who didn't measure me or anything. They're more interested in building the latest hipster obsession - should've gone to the other guys!

No clue. Can you go test-ride it?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by dinbuffalo View Post
    Anyone out there own the 43cm Giant TCR? How does it ride? Did it meet your expectations? I'm looking for a bike that's a better fit - I'm 5' tall and my 45cm Raleigh is actually too big. I didn't know a heck of a lot when I bought it, and the LBS I bought it at is full of a bunch of goofballs who didn't measure me or anything. They're more interested in building the latest hipster obsession - should've gone to the other guys!
    Don't make the same mistake again! When I was looking, on paper the Giant was the bike for me. I went to buy it, after a test ride... Nope! It just wasn't for me.
    But, on paper, it looked great. So, I would trust the on-paper, it is what it is. But, might not be for you.
    (I ended up with nothing, I couldn't afford the bike that was for me, and I stuck with my recumbents, but if I hadn't been bent by then, I would have found the right bike, and so will you).
    The Giant TCR looks like a great bike, but you won't know until you ride it.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

There is a trusted local dealer who will let me test ride, which is the ONLY way I will ever again buy a bike. Definitely won't make the same mistake again! I was looking for cheap, because I was new to the sport, and my mentality was, "If the frame is small, it must fit me." That first 40 mile ride at 20mph average let me know how wrong I was!
    Thanks for the input!
    Dianne G.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I did own an XS Giant TCR many years ago (or maybe it was the OCR- can't remember now). That was my first road bike- loved it!! Rode well, handled well, was a great bike!!
    Go for a test ride, ride as many as you can, and then THE ONE will let itself be known to you!
    Good luck with your search, and be sure to let us know what you wind up with in the end.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by dinbuffalo View Post
    Anyone out there own the 43cm Giant TCR?
    I am 5'4" with a small 2008 Giant TCR C3 and I love it. It rides very smooth and the geometry is perfect for me. I test rode a bunch of bikes and in the end it was between the TCR and a Madone. For whatever reason the TCR felt better to me.

Test ride!!!
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

At your size the XS is probably the size you need. The S size will most probably have a top tube that is too long and it is the top tube that is often the compromise with bikes sized like this.

I have a Small TCR but have ridden the XS TCR and the XS OCR....all fine bikes IF they fit. As others have said, test ride it first and make sure they do some minimal adjustments at least with the saddle and bars.

As far as aluminum goes, they ride fine but the all-carbon TCRs are even smoother. Good luck!

Hi - I just saw this post today. I have that bike in hot pink and silver (I call it my clown bike). I've had it for a couple of years and I really love it. It's very stable and fits me well. I'm just 5 feet. I recently changed the seat post to one with a more forward leaning angle (I do triathlons on the bike and my coach suggested it) and that made a big difference in comfort also. Definitely try it out first.