Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bon Appetit recipes for cyclists

To disable ads, please log-in.

I can tell you all one thing: I love food. I love to eat. I love to cook stuff you can only get in restaurants for $30 or more per plate. Cycling is TOTALLY my excuse to pig, pig, pig.

Imagine my delight when, while browsing through Bon Appetit this evening and chowing on my tomato-mushroom risotto dinner, I find an article discussing what Boulder-based Team Garmin-Cervelo's chef Sean Fowler creates for breakfast for the team. It also offers what the pro cyclists tend to eat. Happily for me, it's not much different from what I do already - and reassuring, because if you are like me, you wonder if you are getting this right or if there is something better you could be eating.

I just checked, the article isn't online yet... so I'm going to leak it.

Smoothie:
    2 peaches
    1 grapefruit
    1 orange
    1 very ripe frozen banana
    8 strawberries
    1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    1 TBSP agave syrup

Blend away.
    (I can't really have much dairy, and yogurt is hugely inflammatory for me, but I have been really happy with almond milk)

Spelt Pancakes:
    1 cup whole grain spelt flour
    1/4 cup oat flour
    1/4 cup rice flour
    1 TBSP brown sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 cup rice milk or almond milk
    1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    3 large eggs
    3 tbsp olive oil plus more for griddle.

(my note: I've been experimenting with amaranth pancakes, which are made half with rice flour. I can tell you I have not gotten hungry like I usually do 10 miles into a ride. It's more like 20, and I'm not fading either).

And then they had pantry suggestions:
    Quality carbs from fruit and vegetables
    Grains: the gluten in wheat can cause muscle aches and inflammation, so stick with oat and spelt flours
    Smart fatslive oil for cooking, nuts like almonds, cashews for snacking and salads.
    Instead of saturated-fat dressings, consider a drizzle of sherry or balsamic vinegars.

I wish the article had been bigger, talking about post-ride meals and supper. They mentioned paella, roasted garlic risotto and white-peach cobbler and goat-cheese kefir. Mmmmmmm. *drool*
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Thanks for posting!! The recipes look great.