Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

SI Turbomatic Gel Flow

To disable ads, please log-in.

So the last few rides I've done has been leaving my @ss protesting loudly about my current saddle - a Specialized Ruby 155 that I've been using for about a year now. Up until these last few rides, the Ruby seemed to be working out fine...so I'm not exactly sure what has changed. It could possibly be a shorts/chamois issue, but I can't be sure on that.

Anyways...I received an email today from a place called We Keep You Cycling. The email was promoting the new version of the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow (in all black) and it has peaked my interest. It looks a bit more padded than my Ruby, which concerns me a bit. It also looks like it's a bit more "crowned" at the rear, and I prefer a flat saddle. The cutout looks sufficient, but I don't know how it compares to the Ruby's cutout. Is there anyone here currently riding on the Turbomatic Gel Flow? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I can't compare to a Ruby, but compared to a Jett it's much less padded. I'd guess it's probably about the same as a Ruby on that front.

It's very crowned, and I worried whether it would be wide enough where I need it to be, but it supports my sit bones just fine. The curve makes it effectively more T shaped and makes the cutout effectively larger. I'm happy - but again, I never rode a Ruby, so I don't know how different they are.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I saw one (with no cutout) at the LBS a few months back. It was very firm.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yes, I am aware of the no cut-out version. But after my test ride on the Affinity RXL last Monday...I'm back to debating on the cut-out issue. My girly bits felt a tad bit smooshed (pressure?) while riding on the Affinity. Put it this way...I found that I had more discomfort on my soft tissue on the Affinity, then I did with the cut-out on my Ruby saddle. So now I'm really confused.

Well, I did try a Brooks saddle (a Team Pro - 160mm) on my Synapse last year...it didn't go well. Infact, it was during the time that I had the Brooks on my bike that I had determined I definitely needed a cut-out...thus enter the Ruby. My lady bits were terribly squished on the Brooks saddle. Granted, I never tried the Imperial, but I do think at 170mm, it would be too wide for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's very crowned, and I worried whether it would be wide enough where I need it to be, but it supports my sit bones just fine. The curve makes it effectively more T shaped and makes the cutout effectively larger. I'm happy - but again, I never rode a Ruby, so I don't know how different they are.
    Did you ever ride a Jett? I have the concerne about how crowned it is, as well, but I'm not sure I love the Ruby. It seems less t-shaped in the 155 than my 143 Jett is. And the nose is shorter. It's not so bad when I'm on the hoods, but in the drops I definitely feel that it's not quite t-shaped enough for my butt and bits. Tomorrow I'm doing a century, so that will be the true test. If it's not a good fit for that I'm probably going to suck it up and try the Turbomatic.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Jett was my last saddle before the TGF. I put like 4500 miles on it, so it was okay, but I like the TGF better.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Jett was my last saddle before the TGF. I put like 4500 miles on it, so it was okay, but I like the TGF better.
    Was it the 155 Jett?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Was it the 155 Jett?
    Yep.

I am professing my love for the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow. It's the 5th saddle I tried, and finally I am having no tendon chafing, no girly bits squishing, and it's quite lovely.

Just in case it's helpful for anyone, here's what I tried:

-Terry Butterfly tendon squashing to the max, too pear shaped (I learned after finding TE!)
    -Specialized Jett (better, still too pear shaped)
    -Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour-dent not deep enough
    -Specialized Oura-oh so close but not quite T shaped enough
    -Turbomatic-nirvana.

I found the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow too narrow for my 135 mm sit bone widths. I am using the Specialized Jett 143 right now.