Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

SI Turbomatic Gel Flow

To disable ads, please log-in.

So the last few rides I've done has been leaving my @ss protesting loudly about my current saddle - a Specialized Ruby 155 that I've been using for about a year now. Up until these last few rides, the Ruby seemed to be working out fine...so I'm not exactly sure what has changed. It could possibly be a shorts/chamois issue, but I can't be sure on that.

Anyways...I received an email today from a place called We Keep You Cycling. The email was promoting the new version of the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow (in all black) and it has peaked my interest. It looks a bit more padded than my Ruby, which concerns me a bit. It also looks like it's a bit more "crowned" at the rear, and I prefer a flat saddle. The cutout looks sufficient, but I don't know how it compares to the Ruby's cutout. Is there anyone here currently riding on the Turbomatic Gel Flow? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I can't compare to a Ruby, but compared to a Jett it's much less padded. I'd guess it's probably about the same as a Ruby on that front.

It's very crowned, and I worried whether it would be wide enough where I need it to be, but it supports my sit bones just fine. The curve makes it effectively more T shaped and makes the cutout effectively larger. I'm happy - but again, I never rode a Ruby, so I don't know how different they are.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Just remembered this thread after your post on the Bontrager saddle. Are you aware the Turbomatic is available without a cutout? I think they typically cost less too.

Just in case
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I saw one (with no cutout) at the LBS a few months back. It was very firm.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Yes, I am aware of the no cut-out version. But after my test ride on the Affinity RXL last Monday...I'm back to debating on the cut-out issue. My girly bits felt a tad bit smooshed (pressure?) while riding on the Affinity. Put it this way...I found that I had more discomfort on my soft tissue on the Affinity, then I did with the cut-out on my Ruby saddle. So now I'm really confused.

FWIW, my Brooks B-17 Imperial feels like the Ruby and Toupe, but perhaps it could work better in some ways? Maybe once it is broken in, the cutout won't be an issue, or perhaps you wouldn't need one. It is certainly designed more for long distances. It's 170 mm though. The models that are 177 tend to have shorter rails. Just depends on your outside distance. I know you might not like the idea of a heavier saddle on a carbon bike, but it may be worth considering. (Assuming you haven't already tried it in the past).
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Well, I did try a Brooks saddle (a Team Pro - 160mm) on my Synapse last year...it didn't go well. Infact, it was during the time that I had the Brooks on my bike that I had determined I definitely needed a cut-out...thus enter the Ruby. My lady bits were terribly squished on the Brooks saddle. Granted, I never tried the Imperial, but I do think at 170mm, it would be too wide for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's very crowned, and I worried whether it would be wide enough where I need it to be, but it supports my sit bones just fine. The curve makes it effectively more T shaped and makes the cutout effectively larger. I'm happy - but again, I never rode a Ruby, so I don't know how different they are.
    Did you ever ride a Jett? I have the concerne about how crowned it is, as well, but I'm not sure I love the Ruby. It seems less t-shaped in the 155 than my 143 Jett is. And the nose is shorter. It's not so bad when I'm on the hoods, but in the drops I definitely feel that it's not quite t-shaped enough for my butt and bits. Tomorrow I'm doing a century, so that will be the true test. If it's not a good fit for that I'm probably going to suck it up and try the Turbomatic.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Jett was my last saddle before the TGF. I put like 4500 miles on it, so it was okay, but I like the TGF better.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Jett was my last saddle before the TGF. I put like 4500 miles on it, so it was okay, but I like the TGF better.
    Was it the 155 Jett?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Was it the 155 Jett?
    Yep.

I am professing my love for the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow. It's the 5th saddle I tried, and finally I am having no tendon chafing, no girly bits squishing, and it's quite lovely.

Just in case it's helpful for anyone, here's what I tried:

-Terry Butterfly tendon squashing to the max, too pear shaped (I learned after finding TE!)
    -Specialized Jett (better, still too pear shaped)
    -Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour-dent not deep enough
    -Specialized Oura-oh so close but not quite T shaped enough
    -Turbomatic-nirvana.

I found the SI Turbomatic Gel Flow too narrow for my 135 mm sit bone widths. I am using the Specialized Jett 143 right now.