Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Racing Masters vs. Category

To disable ads, please log-in.

(I'm posting here, b/c I figure you racer-types will be more inclined to look here)
    I've got to get on the stick and register for Saturday's 40K ITT.
    I've never done such a thing, and I'd like to know...what's the benefit or disadvantage of racing Cat 4 vs. Master's 35+ (my age group)? Currently, I'd podium in Masters, since there's only one other woman there. Cat 4 has about 18 registered.
    Any thoughts? Thanks.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I generally don't look at the thread category ... just the thread title

In a TT there's really no substantive difference where you register. You can always see everyone's results, so if you are interested in comparing your time to the times of other people you will be able to. If racing masters means getting a prize, why not go for it.

In a road race it does require a bit more thought. The masters fields generally throw together everyone - so that's 35+ cat's 1-4 (the most we ever break them down up here is A's -35+1-3 and B's- 35+ 4's) so you will likely be racing with some very fast women and the field sizes are generally smaller, so it usually will be a harder (though possibly safer - as the racers have some experience) race in the masters than in the 4's. Up here at least, we see few women's masters fields offered in any case - generally just state championship races and some TT's. There's just not enough time in the day and racers available to justify all those fields.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks.
    I'm actually more interested in time on the TT bike and treating this as training for my upcoming Du, and less worried how I compare to others in the field (I was absent when they handed out the competitive gene! ). I'm curious to put the bike through some serious paces and this TT seems ideal for that task.
    I'm also most concerned with when DH and I would go off in the order of things so we don't end up spending all day over there (i.e., him start at 9 a.m. and me at 3 p.m.).

Race Masters You could win!

You could also win in cat 4.. But Masters 35+ sounds better for results then Cat 4,lol

How the racers go off depends on the organizer - some go by category, some go by when you sign up.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Looking at last year's start times (which were posted), it went by category - and perhaps by when you signed up within that category.
    DH and I registered - both in Masters - since the men's Cat 5 - by far the largest group - goes last, and we'd have a big delay for sure if he went Cat 5. So...from the looks of last year, he should start ~1 hour before me, which means he'll be finishing up just about as I start. So we'll have some puttering around to do, but not too bad.
    Now...to get myself mentally prepared for this!

I always race Master's when doing TTs, and category when racing on the road (we don't have enough women for that half the time, never mind addind a master's category there).

As Eden said, in a TT, it doesn't matter as much. I do it this way because I've won the Master's category for 2 years running, and the payout is nice. I still usually finish 2nd or 3rd overall, so can see where I stack up against the others.

Good luck!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

have fun!

On a note for the DH. Men's masters is usually a hard category! At least, here in FL the 35+ and the 45+ are two of the harder race categories- many of the guys are cat 1-3. So as he races masters, make sure he also compares his times to the Cat 5 men- since they are probably comparable on experience with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    have fun!

On a note for the DH. Men's masters is usually a hard category! At least, here in FL the 35+ and the 45+ are two of the harder race categories- many of the guys are cat 1-3. So as he races masters, make sure he also compares his times to the Cat 5 men- since they are probably comparable on experience with him.
    Great point! My DH races 35+, and Emily is right - it's usually one of the fastest fields of the day. SO, don't let him be discouraged and do have him compare to the Cat 5 field.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

All the men's categories were smokin' fast.
    He posted a 1:06 on a road bike and ended up 16 of 19 in that group!
    Winner was done in 50 minutes.
    This was a 40K TT btw on a pancake flat course.

And I blew it. Or more appropriately - I blew my front tire. And my chances at anything went out the window. I spent 5 minutes on the side of the road swatting hordes of mosquitoes and changing the tire. Fortunately, it wasn't the back, as the bike has rear-facing dropouts and I have no clue how to handle those (DH removed/replaced the wheel the other day when I put the race wheels on it).

So...I posted a 1:17, which was 4/4 (Masters women 35+) when I SHOULD have been 1:12 (my actually ride time) which would have given me 2/4.

Sigh.

Woulda....shoula...coulda.

Wait til next time!

Ahhhh. I hate technicals!!

So sorry about your flat....that just plain sucks!!! I raced a TT with only a front brake once, and another time with handlebars that loosened when crossing some rough train tracks - but never one that stopped me totally. I would be disappointed too.

I race masters in the TT - and this year at states I raced masters road - but the "masters" categories all started together on the road - so we had all cats and a safe race. Otherwise - I would race open. Time of day for the race also influenced my decision as you mentioned earlier. Otherwise when we are road racing we are at the mercy of the organizer.

Personally - I might say race open in the TT next time if the increased competition may push you that extra percentage or two....
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet - only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller