Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sigma BC 1609 Computer with cadence

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have this computer? I love it, outside of the fact that my cadence isn't working at this particular moment. I am trying to glean information from the +300 page online manual that happens to be in something like 7,2345 languages & my eyes are crossing.

If you do have this computer, have you found cadence monitor finicky? This is the second time in a week I've had a problem with it... To be fair I did have a little clipless fall yesterday and may well have bumped one of the monitors just enough to lose communication (wireless) when I picked it back up.

If you fell, it may have bumped something. Fiddle with the position of the magnet thing and/or the sensor. I don't have this particular computer, or a cadence sensor, so I'm pulling things out of the air based on how my computer works. Mine makes a sort of chirping noise when it's properly lined up. Maybe yours works the same way?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

FWIW - I have Polar CS200Cad - HRM - wireless bike computer with cadence. The cadence part works. Sometimes. Mostly not. It hasn't worked in months, and the other day it started working again. Go figure? The HRM part has not worked in a year. I changed the batteries in all the transmitters, and the receiver, and checked them to be sure the batteries were good, but this is one gadget that just does not work correctly. When the bike computer quits I'll replace it, but as long as it still gives me speed and distance that's good enough for me.

I would suspect the magnet pick-up on the crank is the most likely suspect. I don't have a wireless one, but that placement has been problematic on my wired Cateye Strada.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

I suspect something was moved, am just trying to find in the documentation what the optimal setup should be. I will take it to my LBS if I need to, and it is still under warranty if there is a problem, but it would be nice if I could fix it myself. Sigma has a better/easier to use warranty than Cateye - and I love the additional features and larger display I have the Cateye Strada Cadence (wired) on my LHT and that thing is a pain in the azz.

Take the receiving unit off the handlebars and put it where you can see it while you spin the crank backwards and tweak the positioning of the receiving unit and/or magnet. That way you'll know right away when it starts picking up again.

If the zip-ties aren't tight, use a pair of pliers to pull them tight. The zip-ties should've been cut off flush with the square locking part, so you may need to cut them off with side cutters (or carefully with a pair of tiny scissors) and start fresh with new zip-ties. If you do that, make sure you use UV resistant ties.

Most systems don't work well if there's more than 5 mm between the magnet and the pickup.

ETA - The installation guide is only two pages and it can be downloaded here, although it doesn't say very much ...

Another possibility is that you knocked the battery cover loose - might just want to try re-installing the battery. Or, you probably know that if you accidentally park your bike with the pickup and magnet aligned, it will continue to send until the battery dies. I try to be careful about it but it still happens once in a while.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-21-2011 at 03:58 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oakleaf, this is a great idea and I will try it! Considering I fell on THAT side of the bike it is more than likely just an adjustment problem. Just because it looks fine... I would have eventually thought of this

On another note, I also cracked my mirror when I tipped over, and was able to switch mirrors with my LHT I am not riding it right now so I can wait a bit before replacing it, but am quite proud of myself for being able to do such a simple thing. I've never been good with tools - probably just listened to others too much when they told me I wasn't good with them...

I had a Sigma computer that was 1 step up from the BC 1609 (mine had HRM). I did find that occasionally, the cadence signal was finicky. Usually, just fiddling around with the position of the sensor did the trick for me. My chainstay that it was positioned on, is sort of an odd shape...so the sensor didn't sit very well on it which is why I assume I would frequently lose the signal.

Now that I'm using a Garmin Edge 500, I haven't had the need to fiddle with the sensor ever since I installed it...as the Garmin sensor fits a bit more securely on my chainstay.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I worked it out! Apparently I was confused as to which sensor was which. Thankfully my two-bike wall rack holds my Gunnar high enough so the sensors are at my eye level and finally figured out which was which. It doesn't make a sound when things are aligned properly, but there is a little green light on both sensors when all is aligned and working properly.

So that is two things I've managed to fix myself this week with a little TE advice - no transporting bikes to LBS needed. YES I love my LBS, but would like to reserve their time to things I can't do myself