Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How to wash a bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hate to admit this but when I read threads about people washing their bikes, I realize that I don't know the "proper" way to wash my bike.

So, please, would some of you share your bike washing techniques!

Thank you!

First off, you'll need some degreaser (I use the Park Tool Chain Brite, but others have their preferences.) I clean the chain using one of those chain-cleaning things (I have the Park Tool Cyclone), and try not to make a huge mess while doing so. Then I clean the rear cogs with a rag with some degreaser on it. (It's easier to clean properly if you pop the rear wheel off and sort of "floss" between the cogs, but I don't always do that.) Then I clean the chainrings off as much as possible--I don't think there's a good way to do it without taking them off. Then re-lube the chain, and then clean everything else. The body of the brakes gets cleaned off with a wet rag, and then I wipe down the frame, rims, and spokes with Lemon Pledge.

I know other people use a hose for some of it, but I don't always have access to one.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

For a quickie, a sponge and detergent(dishwashing[hand] or kitchen-grease-off) and a bucket, plus a toothbrush for the cogs&chain. Followed by an old rag.

rinse, dry, re-apply oil to chain&cogs.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

How often do you do a complete cleaning, chain and all?

Thank you so much, I had no idea. This makes me realize I have a lot to learn. What do you usually use to relube? You use Lemon Pledge for the frame, can you also use auto wax? And like Goldfinch asked, how often do you do a complete cleaning?

Thanks!

More often than I do, probably. Like everything else, if I look at it and think "That's disgusting", it gets cleaned. I don't ride in the rain or in winter very much, so it doesn't get a whole lot of stuff on it.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

One of our bike trainers/lovers just emailed this to the training group a few days ago. He really LOVES his bikes....

EQUIPMENT: some of this stuff you may have already and some you may want to purchase for a more effective job next time.

SOFT CLOTHS: like chamois, cut peices of old t-shirts, scratch resistant "fibro-fill" rags or Viva paper towels. (Other brands too flimsy and scratchy)
    For the obsesive- compulsives out there....Q-tips, flat,acrilic paint brushes...1/2" wide.

CLEANERS: EcoTech (the best...) Simple Green (COSTCO in gigundo sizes)

WAX: Finish Line's Pro Polish OR Pledge Multi-suface wax. Recently Pledge has improved their product to work VERY well on all surfaces, including metal.

CHAIN LUBE: Pro Link, Tri Flow

BEST TO START OUTSIDE: Prop bike up against a secure ledge or position bike upside down on handle bars and saddle.An aero bar and lights might make this precarious.

Run a low pressure hose and rinse stuck on glop from frame and wheels. Don't shoot water directly into headset, seatpost or bottom bracket area. Low pressure will keep water from penetrating. Use rags/paper towels and wipe front and rear tire and rim to remove inky black glop that used to be your brake pads. Also wipe rear derailleur and rear/front brakes.

Using your EcoTech/ Simple Green...put some on a rag and wash bike in areas where dirt is tenacious like brake pads, derailleur pulleys, chain rings, chain, hubs and spokes. These cleaning products can be used on all surfaces of the bike...both metal and paint.

For cassettes use towel "sideways" and "floss" the different gears to remove gloppy build up.

For chains: put cleaner on towels, wrap around "lower level" of chain and turn cranks backwards. This will automatically move the chain through the rag and cleaner. Apply cleaner several times.

Obsessive/ Compulsives can use Q-tips and brushes to get into fine areas like chainring teeth, interior areas of front and rear derailleurs, brake calipers, tight areas of the frame and hub flanges. Manifique!

Blot creature dry with soft rag and shake wax can to thoroughly mix ingredients. Spray onto all areas of bike...( in sections for sanitiy's sake) Allow to dry a bit and with a fibro-fill cloth or chamois buff the wax to create a glossy, water repellant sheen. Apply wax to saddle as well.

Lubing chain: spray chain lube on sections of chain the same way you applied the cleaner. Gently wipe excess lube off so it doesn't shower the rear tire when the bike is moving.

Cover beast with blanket and allow to sleep.....there you have it. Bike is ready and eager to go on the next ride!

Don't forget to check the TE Community page for some how-tos: http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_happy
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks