Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

This thread is giving me some good ideas for things to do when I have days off work...haven't done too much exploring yet beyond the really nearby stuff (Wells Beach and one ride over to Acton). I've been here less than a month so I'm not much help for suggestions of places to see. There's always Mt. Katahdin...the whitewater rafting suggestions sound good too.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

As a former Maine resident and as daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin etc etc of many many Mainers, I cannot stress this enough:

Sebago Lake. Water so soft you'll feel like you've got new skin. Water so clear you can see to the bottom in 20 feet of water. If you can rent a cabin on or near the water, it will be so worth it. I spent every summer of my youth shuttling between my home in New Hampshire and my Nana's camp on Sebago. It is heaven on earth.

I also recommend York Beach for all the rigamarole that it is. Popham Beach in Phippsburg, ME is fantastic as well I concur with the rafting-- but there's also great non-whitewater paddling as well. Bethel, Maine is absolutely lovely if you want to head north.

I also really enjoy TRUE downeast Maine, beyond Bar Harbor, where the tourist madness dies off and the deep intermingling of Acadian culture starts up. It's a very cool place up there

Below is a shot I took five or six years ago of Douglas Mtn over Sebago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196037_4856623654_511688654_34126_2942_n.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	13322  
    Last edited by Reesha; 06-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

You certainly have lots of options here

I wanted to throw out another one. Someome mentioned Bethel Maine, well there's another great spot in that area. IN Andover there are some options as well. One is South Arm Campground, some absolutely beautiful camping spots!! Some are in your normal campground atmosphere, but they also offer more remote sites if you're interested. The great thing is that they are on a HUGE series of lakes, so you can paddle to your hearts content, watch the sunrise, sunset etc.. There are also a lot of trails in the area, so you can hike, mountain bike or ride the roads... lots of great options. I can honestly tell you that this area is an outdoor paradise! If interested, there are other options available, just PM me. OH! and if you end up here, don't foget your camera! Fresh seafood available as well

Just home from a weekend bike trip - I can't wait to finish my ride across America, and discover Maine! so glad my trip is ending up there, who knew it is so beautiful with so much to do! tokie

How about this?

• Friday - arrive. Open house (unpack) and get groceries. Mow the field that should resemble a lawn.
    • Saturday - 82 mile tandem ride. Bethel to Rumford, over Roxbury Gap to Andover, up East B Hill Rd and down Grafton Notch. Oh, and do this in 90 degree full on sunshine . Arrive home too tired to go to fireworks.
    • Sunday - 40 mile tandem ride from Bethel to Shelburne, NH. Catch a glimpse of a black bear on North Rd, and then get caught in the pouring rain on Rte 2. Transformers 3 in the afternoon.
    • Monday - decide to try the new MTB trails at Gould Academy. Come out looking like you've gone to war with the blackberry bushes and deer flies. Since not much for trails continue riding your full suspension MTB on the road for 20+ additional miles. Slow for a moose in the road...
    • Tuesday - 51 mile tandem ride through Albany and Waterford.
    • Wednesday - pack up and head home for more riding...

The weather was good, and the riding was hard. Home now, and did an additional 31 miles yesterday and 66 today. I need to go back to work to rest!

SheFly
    Last edited by SheFly; 07-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Wow! That was a busy trip - sounds like fun! tokie