Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mastectomy

mastectomy

To disable ads, please log-in.

The surgery is over and I am home after a night in the hospital with wake ups every hour to either pee or get the drains emptied. The anesthetic left me with terminal dry mouth, which made me drink lots of water, which made me need to pee a lot so part of the restless night was pretty much my own fault.

The pain is not bad, except for some stiffness and some very tender areas just under the collar bone and sternum where they had to scrape the breast tissue out from under the muscle. I have done some gentle arm exercises and have a full is somewhat slow range of motion but really it's not much worse than after a hard day at the gym. I ended up with only one drain because "there just isn't that much tissue there to be removed" which is how the surgeon reacted to my fried egg sized breast sliding towards my belly button.

I will hear about the lab results next week, but am not anticipating any chemo or radiation since the other side is totally clear, and there is nothing left of the surgical side to irradiate or chemo. I will be on tamoxifen (hormone therapy) for five years to discourage development of any more DCIS but other than that I am cancer free and half masted.

I am almost giddy with relief that it is all over and glad to be home and no longer tethered to a bed by an iv pole and pump.

I can't drive until the drain is out which might be by my follow up appointment next week but in the meantime, my daughter is here for the weekend, and my oldest son ("my son the doctor"( of mathematics) will be here tomorrow night for a week to help out with the driving and heavy lifting.

I am already eyeing the recumbent at the gym, and the elliptical with stationary arms. Plus I have my trainer moved into the house under an ac vent (today's temp was 99 with 32 mph winds and an 80% humidity) with easy access to a table fan and a cd play and a couple of training cds so..... I am sure that the fact that I am in pretty good shape has helped and will continue help me bounce back so easily and quickly.

All I can say is thank goodness for early detection so ladies and gents, get those mammograms, even if they call you back every three months and it takes two or three tries each time .

Thank you everyone for putting up with my whining and self pity and offering me such positive support. I hope I can do the same for each of you when you need it.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I hope you have a speedy recovery. It does help to start out in good shape. Sending (gentle) hugs and good thoughts your way.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Best wishes for a very speedy recovery!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Hang in there. Heal. The worst is behind you and you're moving into wellness. Thank you for freely sharing your experience with us.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Anesthesia dry mouth is the worst! Then maneuvering that darn IV thing into the bathroom to pee.

Take care and heal quickly, you will be fabulous at half mast.

Hang in there and heal quick, Marni.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Sounds like you did great! I'm so glad to read what you've written, because your spirit sounds high. Now you can go on with life, not always worried, poked and prodded.

I hope you heal quickly!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

There was no whining or self pity. I'd say you are entitled to some.

Hang in there Marni. I'm glad you are home and on the mend. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are a brave woman.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I'm glad the worst is over, Marni. Heal quickly and fully. I agree that your were entitled to self pity and whining.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I never heard any whining or self pity. You approached this thoughtfully and methodically, which is, I think, exactly what I would do.
    And yes, keeping focused on your recovery with exercise is wonderful.

I chuckled when you mentioned your son. Of course he is a Doctor of Mathematics. He went to ABRHS .

Heal well. I am thinking of you.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Great! Sounds like you are set but am glad to hear your children are around to help out. Stuff will come up and it's so nice to just have someone around for a bit.

dt

get well soon thanks for keeping us in the loop
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The words "cancer-free" are a remarkable thing to hear. I hope your follow-ups continue to be so.

I don't recall any whining, self-pity, or anyone flailing in panic. I remember posts that were from someone who was positive, self-possessed, and optimistic, with touches of humor in between. You have been through A Lot. Remember, without a strong multifaceted support network, online forums included, this fight would be that much harder to successfully wage.

I am torn between sadness that you had to go through this, and happiness that it can be treated with such great success. Good healing to you, and may your peace of mind be strong and lasting.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett