Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

call back after 1st mammogram

To disable ads, please log-in.

I turned 40 this year, so my GP said I should go for a mammogram. I did, and a week later they called me back for another one, on a different machine. I asked the receptionist if I should be concerned and she said not at this time, but I can't help but to be concerned.

I was told in my 20's that I had dense breast tissue, so I'm hoping it's just that.

In all your wise experience, how common is this and how much should I be worried?

I'm 44, and went through a similar thing 4 years ago. I've been told to get a mammogram since I was in my late 20s, and never listened. Turns out I have fibrous tissue in my breasts, which looked bad on the first mammogram.
    So, definitely go have the second, but do be aware that this is all screening to make sure you are healthy and no one is claiming you aren't!
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Try not to worry. This is very, very common. I went through it a couple of years ago, and that's when I found out how common it is. Here's the thing: in an effort to find the bad stuff, they find all sorts of stuff you wouldn't know about if they weren't looking for the bad stuff. It's generally not problematic. Also, dense breast tissue does lead to more tests, because they can't see what they are trying to see. My last mammogram was almost solid white (i.e., dense tissue that the camera couldn't see through), so I got sent for a couple of different tests. It's hard, I know, but try not to worry. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

thanks ladies. I'm sure it's nothing, but all the same I'm glad they're on top of things making sure everything's tickety boo!

Same thing here, and it ended up being nothing. After the second one, which they call a diagnostic mammogram, they told me the results while I was still there so at least I didn't have to wait days for a phone call.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Yep, I've been called back two or three times. Had my first mammo at 33 when I developed a cyst. That went away, but I learned I have dense, fibrous breasts, despite their small size! After 20+ years of mammograms, I don't worry if it happens, as I have no other risk factors.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

ah, of course, I never bothered to check for previous posts.

good to know this is almost routine!

Even though call backs are common-the norm really, it is still hard not to be concerned. I'm sure you are being called back because they have nothing to compare you current mammo with. Anyway be warned the compresseion on the second set is much, much harder. It brought tears to my eyes and I don't think I am wimpy.
    Please let us know your results.
    Jones

It's happened to me, and like you, I have dense and fibrous breast tissue. Keep in mind that mammography isn't a perfect diagnostic tool for people who have dense breasts, especially relatively young people. Keep doing those self exams!

Keep us posted, Badger. I sure hope it's nothing.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I had a callback after my mammo last year (my 3rd so far). I went back in for a diagnostic mammo & ultrasound. Turns out it was only a harmless cyst. They suggested I come back in 6 months for another ultrasound (which I did), and it had decreased in size by then, so everything is fine now.

Try not to stress out too much over it (I realize it's hard not to). It's very common to be called back and it will give you peace of mind.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

+1 don't stress
    +1 hope everything is alright
    +1 keep us posted
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

Not only what everyone says in all of the above, if this is your first one, don't forget that they have no baseline levels established to compare to. This would be especially difficult with dense breast tissue which looks like a snowfield in the imaging. I've seen mine and it's nearly pure white. Like others, I have dense tissue as well and have had a callback in the beginning when I had no baseline. Even now, I am on a 6 month watch for 2 years on the right one and am having an ultrasound on the left one next week. It's sometimes difficult to determine and see even with many years of imaging, if the tissue is that dense.

I had my second mammogram on my left breast where they saw something. The technician at that time said she couldn't see anything after she took the pictures but I had to go in to see the radiologist for the "official" results today. He did a breast exam, found nothing and confirmed that there was nothing in yesterday's x-rays so he sent me off with a clean bill of breast health

phew!

Phew! So glad it turned out okay.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Awesome news!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher