Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Honestly the weather wasn't bad. Got rained on for 5 out of 42 miles. Better the grey skies than the hot weather of the weekend before!! It was the night BEFORE weather that shook ME up. I would have been miserable if it had poured all day.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Smile Wave

The WAVE was fun. I managed to do the 42 mile ride over lots of hills and routes I normally ride from my home in Renton Highlands.

Beth: how's the knee? Is it a new knee? I have had two and they are doing fine. It takes a while. The right was done in 08 and is still stiff on occassion. (like going up multiple hills) Hope yours is doing OK.

Stellar 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar1 View Post
    The WAVE was fun. I managed to do the 42 mile ride over lots of hills and routes I normally ride from my home in Renton Highlands.

Beth: how's the knee? Is it a new knee? I have had two and they are doing fine. It takes a while. The right was done in 08 and is still stiff on occassion. (like going up multiple hills) Hope yours is doing OK.

Stellar 1
    Stellar 1,
    I had an ACL repair. Even though my doc said "good to go" on my last visit. I beg to differ. I swear I didn't do that much today, some twisting to load and unload luggage, and a stroll (over an hour) in the park after I checked into the hotel, and now my knee HURTS. Hoping colleague won't want to walk far for dinner.... I'm wishing I brought my cane.
    Beth

more photos are up at the ride the wave smug mug website
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Nice to see the posts about the WAVE. I was out of town this week and I'm just catching up. It was good to finally get to say hello to Mimi since I enjoy her posts, now I can put a voice to them. Great turnout this year. Once again looking forward to next year.
    1972 Schwinn Paramount
    2006 Serotta Coeur d'Acier
    2007 Holland Exogrid
    2008 Salsa Casseroll
    2010 Scott Contessa 20

I almost forgot to post about this ride! I did the Burly Girl and it was SO MUCH FUN! I can't think the last time I had that much fun on a ride. I loved that it was all women, the flowers & pictures in the port-a-potties, the firefighters, and the way they totally pampered you at the rest stops. It as great. I will definitely be doing it again next year.

My only concern was that the Dan Henrys were so poorly placed that it was difficult to follow the intended course for much of the ride.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Kfergos, that was a good point. I think they saved money by not painting the Dan Henrys again this year (they were OLD!!!) but that led to a lot of confusion. I was extremely fortunate (because of the riders I was with) to never take a wrong turn...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I agree about the Dan Henry's too. It was very plain to see that they were old Dan Henry's. I persuaded a friend (new to cycling) to come out and ride and she did sign up and rode it with her friend. She said she did enjoy the ride but her and her friend got lost numerous times because there were no markings (especially going through neighborhoods) or they were very hard to see and they missed them. Having done the ride four times and also riding a lot in the area I knew the courses well. I feel that new markings on the ground should always be done a week or two before an event.

Bicyclista, the folks at the 44-mile rest stop on the Burly Girl route took a picture of me holding my pink bike over my head. I didn't see it in the pictures online. Is there somebody I can contact about getting a copy?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Kfergos, there was a photo taken of me as I walked around at the finish line.It's not there either. I'm thinking he didn't think those photos were any good or he would have put them up.. Are you on facebook? you can write on "the wall" of cycle the wave. If you aren't let me know and i'll do it for you.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Did either of you email or post about the Dan Henrys? They would want to know, and I think I will say something as well. Otherwise, still the most fun ride I know!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

not yet. i will, eventually, you should too
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I posted on Cycle the WAVE's facebook page regarding the Dan Henry's. I think more people should speak up too. It's a safety issue and I feel a very important one.

Yea when I crossed the finish line at the end of my ride I threw both of my hands straight up into the air and screamed woohoo for the last 200 yards or more. I don't see that picture anywhwere. And I saw the guy snapping away!

I emailed, and had this exchange last night:

On Sep 27, 2011, at 7:43 PM, Deena Heg<deenaheg@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> > It was a great ride this year as usual---but those Dan Henrys were pretty faint. I hope they will get replenished next year.

On 9/27/2011 9:00 PM, deborah taylor wrote:
    > Hi Deena,
    >
    > Thanks for riding! And thanks for your input. All feedback is helpful.
    >
    > Yes, the City of Bellevue requires chalk paint and it is very difficult to see on wet roads. Great when the roads are dry, but tough in the rain.
    >
    > Improved signage will help next year in case of rain. But I'm planning on sunshine for 2012!
    >
    > See you next September!
    >
    > Deborah Taylor
    > Cycle the WAVE Route Director
    >
    >
    From Deena:

Thanks, Deborah. I remember them as being much brighter in previous years, including rainier years. And actually the road was quite dry right up to the last five miles. Maybe it was the colors? In any case, your response is much appreciated. And we'll hope your weather mojo is workin' next year.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks