Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Trail Running

Trail Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Winter is here in Australia and I decided about a month ago that I needed something else to do when the weather was too icky to ride. My husband runs so I thought maybe I should give it a whirl. It has been about 20 years since I have done any running and then it was all on the road. We have some wonderful trails where I live so I thought lets see how that works for me. Who would have guessed but I love it! I am up to 7kms which is about 4 and a bit miles and hope to work up to around the 16 km mark. I find with trail running that I am so busy looking where to put my feet that I don't notice the kms passing by as much as out on the boring road.

Anyone else out there run purely on trails? Got any good tips for me?
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I don't run strictly on trails, but I do run regularly on trails and its my favorite kind of running!

I don't really have advice other than be certain to know the trail. Nothing stinks more than thinking you're going for a 4 mile run, get lost, and end up doing 10 miles (I've done that).

I always bring water trail running. ALWAYS (JIC the above happens).

I usually carry a whistle too. For emergencies. The trails I run on, as you can probably gather, are remote with little to no traffic.

Expect slower pace times. And expect to get really strong!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    Anyone else out there run purely on trails? Got any good tips for me?
    It's waaay better, isn't it?

After swearing I was going to retire from running after the Horse Butte 10 Miler last year, I did it again this year because yellow came out and shuffled along with me. And then last week I did a 14 mile trail race for the bucket list. I trained by myself most of the time this year since my training partner was injured but I managed to keep my brain happy since I was on trails (no iPod for me). There is no way in h*** I would do those distances on pavement with or without company. Too freakin' boring.

My best advice is to not throw your ribs violently on the ground. They don't like it.

Oh yeah, gaiters are a good thing.*

*And HTFU wristbands.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I don't solely trail run, but I definitely agree with you on the time passing faster. I pretty much only like to race trails...the finish is always a surprise None of that seeing the end of the race when you're a mile away and then watching it not get any closer.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Thanks for your tips.
    I like the look of the gaiters SK, thanks for the link.

How do you carry your water when you run? It is not a problem for me at the moment as I am not going that far and its winter, but I can see I will need to sort that out as runs get longer and hotter.
    Amelia Earhart

I have one of those 16oz handheld Nathan bottles with the pocket and strap. Good place to keep keys, id, etc. And a camelback lumbar pack for superlong runs. I've tried fuel belts but hate them.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    This will probably sound odd, but always carry kleenex/TP. For many reasons. I won't elaborate.

Things I always carry on longer runs (in either my waist pack or Nathan vest): water, TP, lip balm with sunscreen, an extra gel, and a couple of bandaids/blister covers (never had to use them, but you never know). On really long runs I carry all that plus extra-extra food, a small pharmacy, my phone or a Spot (if I am in a remote place), a little tube of sunscreen, a map, a camera...you get the idea. I pretty much always wear gaiters.

For me it's about more than running. I approach each run as if it were an adventure of sorts. Sometimes they are really, really adventurous and other times the adventure might seem mild to most: seeing a really pretty chickadee or listening to the creek trickle.

I can't stand handheld bottles. To each his own. They screw up my arm swing.

I like the Nathan Intensity and carry Kleenex, blister supplies, lip balm, phone and have a RoadID attached. The little Hammer Gel flasks fit the front pockets. I'd carry my SPOT if I was running in remote locations also, but so far that's only for riding. And a map! Blows me away how often I run into people on trails that aren't carring a map.

http://www.nathansports.com/our-prod...ests/intensity

Hmm interesting options!
    I don't really like holding things when I run so I think it would have to be a belt thing or the camelbak type option. I feel the heat so I hate the idea of something covering my back but the belt thing would annoy me if it bounced.
    How warm do you get in your intensity pack SK? Do you use the same sort of thing Yellow?
    Amelia Earhart

Same sort of thing. Realize that I do most of my running in 15-50 degree F temps. It doesn't bounce at all since it's designed for running.

I'm not the one to ask about it being hot, but I haven't found any other method I like as well.

And it gives me a handy pocket for gloves (super light wool liner gloves at most) and arm warmers. Lots of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Same sort of thing. Realize that I do most of my running in 15-50 degree F temps. It doesn't bounce at all since it's designed for running.

I'm not the one to ask about it being hot, but I haven't found any other method I like as well.

And it gives me a handy pocket for gloves (super light wool liner gloves at most) and arm warmers. Lots of flexibility.
    Thanks for the info SK. After looking around on the internet I can't say that I have found anything else that looks like it would work for me. Need that water on the run so I guess I will be off to do some shopping.
    Amelia Earhart

I have been using the "hiking poles" to as I walk and run. I never thought they would make a difference but they do. They are now standard equipment for me.

Red Rock