Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Obviously Ann Strong did not have as great a DH
    I have friends like Ann...mostly I want to kick their hubbies in the nuts for being such losers.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

her last entry is very interesting...

As they say in mystery novel, things are not as what they seemed to be.

I thought this was a troll. Maybe or maybe not. If not, then very sad. If so then got a lot of folks fired up. Seems to be saying just enough to get a reaction.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Drop the boyfriend. Buy the bike.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    troll
    What Tulip said, the thing that did it for me was the married part. Why would anyone be with an abusive cheapskate, especially if he's married.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

well, actually, if someone is a cheapskate it's likely that he will be a cheapskate everywhere with everyone. wife, kids, gf, etc...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by socaljewel View Post
    Well I'm 5 3" and since my student days when I bought my Fiji Absolute, I have gained about 20 lbs. But with breast cancer, menopause, raising two kids, bouts of unemployment, I have not been overly concerned with my spare tire around my abdomen. I am used to the solid ride of my 35 lb Fiji bike with friction shifters and big tires. I am scared I will have lots of flats with skinny tires, and I'm scared the integrated brake index shifters will break constantly. I'm afraid I should save the $500 (Costco's Northrock or Wallmart's Trace bikes)
    Costco's NOrthrock is not bad from what I've seen of it in Costco. I wouldn't recommend it as a bike for someone with a lot of money to spend - but if you're in debt from the kids, unemployment, etc. - the costco bike is great for the $500 IF it fits you. Make sure to keep extra money for taking it to the bike shop to get looked over. Costco also has a great return policy on that, so if it turns out to be a mistake, you can return it at any point.

But if you can afford more like $1,000, maybe see how far your money can go at REI, which also has a great return policy.

If it seemed like you had a greater sense for what you needed, I'd say go look at used.

There's lots of advantages for me in biking with biking wunderkind. I never have to look at a map. I never have to load the bikes onto the bike racks. I never have to spend any money on bike maintenance. on my own I wouldn't bike let alone bike 5 hrs and cover 73 miles. But there are limits to how much even he will do. For some reason, he lives like a penniless graduate student. But he's happy so who am I to argue. My kids spend money like water and they're miserable. I am so impressed with women who know how to maintain their bikes. I must be learning something from being around the bf and watching him. Maybe one day I will be able to change a tire or replace cables or change a broken spoke.
    Last edited by socaljewel; 06-13-2011 at 03:01 PM.

what is biking wunderkind?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

wonderkind= genius

Something sounds terribly wrong here....
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Troll or trainwreck, take your pick. Either way, I don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

People can have married boyfriends.
    People can have controlling boyfriends.
    People can have stingy boyfriends.
    People often exaggerate when telling stories.

But can a person who is old enough to have adult children ride a too big mountain bike 50 miles when riding only four days a month? Can they ride their 35 pound "big tire" bike 73 miles in five hours? If nothing else, the OP has a tough rear end.

Socaljewel (if you are for real), you said that you would not bike on your own. You mentioned the boring mountainbike trail. Maybe biking isn't for you. Maybe you are a runner.

my hats off to all of you women. I wish I knew all the things you know. I wish I had the energy to go biking on my own. Running requires no equipment and no hauling the equipment around and there's no risk of bodily injury from crashes at high speeds. I hope one day to be as self sufficient and as knowledgable as you guys are.

I hope you can find the strength to ride your ride. It's pretty liberating to be able to hop on the bike whenever you want, and ride as fast as you want, with no one to tell you you're doing it wrong.

I think you have the strength and the knowledge already. I think the thing you are lacking is something else, maybe self esteem. The ability to learn to change a flat, to ride alone, to buy the bike you want without needing someone else's approval, just needs to be harnessed. You need to realize your own worth, and put that first.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

The stuff I know I learned right here on TE, and my LBS, and local bike clubs ... I did not come to the forum knowing it although I've always ridden a bike and used to run. It's a long process of read, ride, write a report, get feedback, read, learn, ride again alone or with a group ... repeat ...

Long live TE
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-15-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/