Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Commuting to work

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I just bought a new road bike and I love it. It has carbon frame and I was told that I cannot have a rack attached to it since it is all carbon. I am fine with this for weekend riding but I would like to commute using the same bike for work during the week as well.

Work is only 10 miles each way and I carry my laptop etc. in a backpack. It isn't too bad (my back started hurting but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it). I am looking into alternative options and on a different thread Velocivixen suggested using "Arkel Randonneur Rack". I check this out and it looks real cool. Can this be mounted on a carbon frame or is this a no no?

Also, are there any other alternatives or carrying a backpack is pretty much the only way to go?

(I can keep my clothes etc at work but I must carry the laptop to work and back).

Thanks!
    raomdc

2010 Specialized Roubaix Compact
    1995 Mongoose Hybrid

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I suggest getting a second bike for commuting--one that can take a rack and panniers. There are lots of great used bikes available. You won't get used to a sore back; it will only get worse. Must you take your laptop to and from work?
    They are heavy, andcommuting is more fun with less stuff if possible.

It looks like the Arkel rack attaches to the seat post. I think that's ok. Maybe it depends on what your seat post is made out of. 10 miles is a long way to carry a laptop on your back. When I first started commuting, I actually developed some upper body strength in my arms & back from the backpack! Then I got a rack and became a proper cyclist, all leg muscle and spaghetti arms. I wouldn't have minded keeping the upper body strength, but I hated the sweat on my back.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Laptops are heavy, so check the weight limit on a seatpost rack. Also, if your seatpost is carbon, don't put a rack on it.

Communication is very important in all the organization, firm and in the daily routine and you can see wherever you can go there was you can engage with communication to understand each other. When I was looking for Luxury new development London there was a real estate agent with whom I can do communicate to understand the whole consultancy. I just share some information about the big offer for people who live in Dubai can have a chance to buy a property in the UK with exciting prices.