Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TE group ride in NoVa

To disable ads, please log-in.

We (Rubysoho, Kmehrzad and I) were talking on another thread about getting together for a ride in northern Virginia, specifically starting around Sterling-Herndon-Reston. I'm bumping it up to its own thread to see if anyone else is interested.

Details have yet to be ironed out. The distance will probably be around 30-40miles, at a casual, friendly pace. We might keep it simple with a westbound trip on the WOD, or possibly head out onto the roads. I have a cue sheet for a good ride that heads south from Reston Town Center to Herndon and Oakton, plus one or two cue sheets that would take us to Great Falls (where I have never been, yet). Right now I am free any weekend in July.

So, thoughts, preferences, comments?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Count me in for a weekend ride in July. I do have family coming from out of town in early July but will work/ride around their schedule.
    Last edited by kmehrzad; 06-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

I could be interested, timing and fitness level dependent of course. Wouldn't want to slow everyone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I could be interested, timing and fitness level dependent of course. Wouldn't want to slow everyone down.
    Ditto.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

I'm in! Sorry for the delay, I have been super busy with work (summer camps start next week and I just found out I am stepping in as Camp Director ... which they didn't tell me until this past Tuesday) and haven't been checking all the forums.

Anyway, I am generally free on weekends though the weekend of the 4th of July is out and I believe I have something on the 15th as well (but will double check that).

Oh, and heading west on the W&OD seems like a nice easy ride for most people. If we find we want more challenges there are some neighborhoods we can hop into for hills, right? And if not, well, we'll just stick to the trail! And I am happy to "lead" a slower group if some people decide they want to go fast. That way nobody is left behind/out.

I'm in as well! I'm just starting back after a couple months hiatus but it'll be a good chance for me to meet everyone on this board that lives around here

Anyone want to go this Saturday?

I'll also be in Reston on Sunday for the bike races. Anyone else going to be there and do you want to try and meet up? There is a nice little cupcake store by The Bike Lane.

No bike races for me. I'd prefer to be a participant and not a spectator when it comes to riding.

I'm up for riding on Saturday.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    No bike races for me. I'd prefer to be a participant and not a spectator when it comes to riding.

I'm up for riding on Saturday.
    Me too but I have a friend riding. So we are grabbing lunch at Big Bowl (best Thai ever!!) around 2:30.

We can talk tonight about a ride on Saturday.

For good Thai food:

You should try Thai Pan in downtown Leesburg (it's connected to the Liberty Gas Stn.). Don't be turned off by its location, the food is fantastic.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

So is anyone planning to do the Reston Century on August 21? I think I'm doing the metric.

Early bird registration ends August 12.

http://www.restonbikeclub.org/restoncentury/

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    So is anyone planning to do the Reston Century on August 21? I think I'm doing the metric.

Early bird registration ends August 12.

http://www.restonbikeclub.org/restoncentury/
    I am glad I checked this forum! I think I am interested in the metric century since the other day I tried to do 60, didn't pace myself, and ended up only hitting 40. Will let you know if I register.

I will be riding this Saturday morning (Aug 13) from Reston Town Center if anyone wants to join me.

I want to do > 50 miles, and I don't want to ride the WOD since I'm pretty sure the end of the Reston Century is a long stretch on the trail. So my plan is to ride two loops around Reston, Herndon and Oakton using variations of the route that they use at the Bike Lane for their weekly Saturday ride.

The first loop will be 30 miles, heading east on the WOD for a few miles to Hunter Mill Rd and then leaving the trail on Hunter Station Rd. The second loop will be 24 miles, starting by heading west on the WOD and south on the Fairfax County trail over the toll road, leaving the trail on Sunrise Valley Dr.

Other than the differences at the start, both loops will be the same on-road route. It is surprisingly low-traffic, and the terrain is not flat but not super hilly either. I generally average about 14 mph on this ride. I usually stop once along the way for a snack which I bring with me; I refill water bottles and take a bathroom break between loops at Reston Town Center.

If anyone wants to join me for one or both loops, let me know. I haven't set a start time yet; if left to myself I'll probably start around 9 am, but that's flexible if anyone else wants to start earlier or slightly later.

Gone but not forgotten:

I am interested! Let me see how my ride goes tomorrow morning because I just worked the past nine days (36 physical hours Friday-Sunday and I still feel I am recovering...). If anything I can do at least one loop.

Talking Just wanting to say HI!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. This may be very premature of me, as I just bought my bike last weekend but I thought what the heck.

I'm in this area (just moved here recently) and my normal past time was running. I was really involved in our local running group, had a great set of friends, but right as we moved I injured my IT band after running a marathon and I have pretty much had to put running to the the side for the last 5 plus months.

I'm just getting back to it, but thought with this wonderful trails it is time for some variety in my life. There isn't the same running support system I am use to back home here, so I'm adding in biking to my life and can't wait for what that brings.

Although you folks talk about being newbies and easy riders I still need to just ride before I toss my hat into group riding, but I thought I would say hi and try to hang around and learn until that time.