Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Training for a 25-mile training ride ---

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey everyone - haven't been here since last summer. But every time I come back I read these posts and it makes me want to hop on my bike immediately. What a great community of really dedicated and supportive cyclists! I need to come around more often.

I haven't been on my bike since last September - but I'm thinking of training with a team for a Livestrong ride in September. Not sure which mileage I'd do - but the team will train for the 100. I've been traveling and dealing with a sick Mom and not been on the bike yet but their first training ride is 25 miles a week from Saturday. I do spin a few times a week (though haven't since I've been back from traveling in 3 weeks) and with all the rain heading our way over the next week and a half feel worried about getting on the bike.

Just curious how much training you all think I need to get in on the road before that ride so I don't make a total fool of myself. Last summer I was riding 15 - 17 miles each week - a few weeks I did 23 - 25 miles with no problem (but I was slow). I was thinking if I could get out and do 2 15 or 17 mile rides and then maybe 2 8 - 10 mile rides I'd be set.

What do you think? Sorry for the LONG post.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I think you know yourself best. If you've been doing spinning over the winter consistently, I'll bet you're more cycling fit than you think you are.
    I'd say your plan sounds doable and will probably work. You'll probably get back into it quicker than you think.
    Good luck!! And welcome back!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Thanks Tri --- I think I'll have a better idea when I actually get on my bike. Just despise riding in my busy and flat city so I'm hoping to get out on the road tomorrow after work. But good point - I should know myself the best. 25 miles isn't that bad - based on what I did last year I should be able to do that. And I will be with the team for the first time in 3 years so I may be excited enough to keep going. Just don't want to humiliate myself (again).

Thanks!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    no worries- you won't humiliate yourself! You'll do great! You gotta figure you probably do about 15-20 miles during an hour spin class (I always do way more during spin than I can do outside) so you're already mostly there. Outside is different than inside, but I really think you'll be fine!! Like you said- being with old friends will be enough to make the miles fly by.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike