Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
    When I drove my small sedan, some of the big vehicle drivers would try to come up close behind me and try to get me to move faster or something.dt
    I get this all the time in my car. I guess a Civic coupe with a bike rack on the trunk makes me look "weak" to certain drivers of larger vehicles, so I get tail-gated often. Just yesterday I was driving down a windy back road on my way to the farm with a 2-year-old and a 5-week-old in the back seat (going the speed-limit), and this big truck with a tiny little man in the front seat sat on my bumper until I pulled over to let him pass. Then when I pulled over, he leaned on his horn and waved his hand angrily at me as he zoomed by, as if I was the one being unreasonable.

Fine, threaten to rear-end me if you want to make a point, but if you injure those children in the backseat I wil make the rest of your life hell.
    "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."

I drive an Accord, so I get this a lot, especially if I leave the rack on the trunk. It's not always the big vehicles, though. Some crazy lady in a Cobalt tailgated me most of the way up a windy road (I was doing the speed limit) then crossed a double yellow line to pass me.

Strange, the number of people who seem to think that the speed limit is a lower limit.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

The people here who are most unsafe to bicycles...are people who are not legally supposed to be driving. Some of them are not able take drivers ed or qualify for a license to begin with and learn laws pertaining to cyclists. Some have had licenses revoked for not following the rules of the road.

So it's almost impossible to tell by what they're driving. But unfortunately, if any of that population hits you...they aren't likely to have insurance, either.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by deeannef View Post
    I don't know about any of you but the most terrifying drivers who drive: 1) BMW (they own the road,don't they) 2) Mercedes (same thing but to a lesser extent) 3) High rise pickup trucks (male size issues) I apologize in advance to those who may own these types of cars, but all too often it seems if I slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, these are the models most frequently noted in my mind when my life flashes in front of my eyes.
    I would add women with children in the car to that list. I swear, I have seen more aggressive driving towards me on a bike by mothers than any other type of driver. I've even been cursed at by these drivers, while her kids are in the back seat!

They're probably late for soccer practice.
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    They're probably late for soccer practice.
    I laughed.

I get rude mothers behind me all the time. I remind myself that if I had two or three kids that were not well behaved in the backseat, I might be a little prone to irritation also.

I drive a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, it was my first car and at this point, 17 years later, I just want to see how long she goes before replacing her. BUT - lots of newer cars have no patience being behind an OLD CAR, even if I am 5mph over the limit. They get in front of me... and I wind up having to pass them later. It's hilarious.

Out here, the dangerous cars to watch for while on your bike are the highly jacked up pickup trucks and Ford mustangs - both driven by high school jocks with something to prove. The trucks scare me more, especially when they decide to jerk the wheel suddenly to avoid us or to cut back in the lane after passing - you know they are easily rolled. I swallow a gasp every time that happens.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

how scarey does it get on the road?

I am very new to cycling!! Only 3 weeks actually. My son has been riding since he was 14 and now my husband and I intend to make it a serious hobby. Yesterday I was riding along a famous bike strip down here in Aus. I was riding in the left lane, close to the kerb when a TRUCK came far to close to me in my lane. He could have easily merged completly into the right or even a little as there were no cars anywhere. He made the decision to not deviate his truck at all. I couldn't believe it.....I gave him the finger and hoped he'd have a bad day!! What a tossa, gambling with my life!!
    NB: In Australia we drive on the left side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post

When I drove my small sedan, some of the big vehicle drivers would try to come up close behind me and try to get me to move faster or something.

dt
    When drivers do this to me I slow down to a snail's pace. It really pisses them off but they do back off my tail.