Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Best Bike Based on Small Frame Geometry Specs? Tricross, Nova Race?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello TE,

Like many posters, I am looking for an entry, budget smaller-sized cyclo cross bike. I am 5' 3.75" with a 28" inseam (no shoes). My problem is I cannot find a cross bike in a LBS to try in a suitable size and so I am going to have a shop order one. My budget is $1K (no custom bikes) and would also like alum frame/carbon fork. I have narrowed down to Specialized's Tricross and Jamis' Nova Race based on what is available for ordering NOW (can't wait any longer!), but also need additional help figuring out which bike would be a better fit based on geometry.

I've test ridden several road bikes to get an idea on road bike frame sizes (regardless of price). So far, I've liked both the Scott Contessa Speedster 15 49cm and the Specialized Dolce Elite Compact 48cm and include their specs in the geometry below as comparison; hopefully, I have captured the main specs:

Model Size Head-Angle Head-Tube Top-Tube BB2TT Standover Chainstay
    Cont Speedster 15 49 71 110 515 430 733 405
    Dolce E Com 48 71.25 130 506 415 711 415
    TriCross 46 69.5 115 505 460 734 440
    Nova Race 48 71 100 515 446 747 425

I pretty much disregard the second column labeled "size" of the bike and focus on the TT, SO, HT, and BB2TT specs. I am leaning towards the TriCross 46 as it is similar to the Dolce which I enjoyed quite a bit, but not quite sure how to interpret the longer BB2TT and head angle with the shorter HT. The SO sounds ideal.

At this price point, would either the TriCross or the Nova Race be a better bike? Any quality issues between the two based on experience (reviews don't say much)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

CCN - Cyclo Cross Newbie
    Last edited by CCN; 06-07-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Just for reference, I am almost exactly the same height as you and have a 30" inseam (crotch to floor). My road bike is a 48cm (it's a Cannondale, which I'm told runs big, so I'd likely be on a 49-51 in another brand). That translates to a 44 or so in a CX bike, since they have taller clearance because of the beefier tires. I'm suspicious that most of those bikes wouldn't offer you much, if any, standover. I'm currently looking at CX bikes in the 44cm range and even a Ridley in a 41 (their sizing is kinda weird and they have a big jump from their smallest to next smallest size).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I would still test out the bikes if you can. I've got my sight set on the Tricross bike but 1. need to save up for it 2. I want to test ride it first to be sure. But the Tricross is what I am looking at as my "all around" trail/cyclocross/commuter bike.