Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Keen sandals - preferences?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey guys! Uh, girls, uh...pals! Long time no see. I see you're all still here, it's just me who's the rare visitor. I'm contemplating buying some Keen SPD sandals, because the Shimano sandals that I bought five or six years ago just really kill my left foot with the Morton's neuroma. I recently said to my husband (you guys remember J? We're married nearly two years now! Very happy ) "If Keen made dress shoes, my joy would be complete". So yesterday we're out riding, and my left foot really hurt. I had bunion surgery two years ago, so the neuroma is the only problem I have anymore. I feel like I'm keeping my Shimano sandals out of pure cussed stubboness (they were expensive and I hardly ever wear them {because they hurt my foot} so I can't get rid of them...)

SO. Which do you think I should get? The Arroyo Pedaling Cycle Sandal: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodKE_52013.html

or the Comuter Cycling Sandal: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodKE_5291.html

I do walk around (we ride to the Botanic Gardens and walk), but I'm not really "hiking" on rough terrain after a bike ride. Mostly city sidewalks.

I know you wise women will steer me right, or at least greet me with friendly enthusiasm and share your opinions. Thanks!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I can't help you with the keen sandals just yet as I don't have a pair, but I used to get really bad hotfoot with specialized taho spd bike shoes. The pain pretty much went away when I switched to a stiffer sole. I would think you would want whichever one has a stiffer sole so that the cleat won't press into the ball of your foot. I am interested also in the opinions on those shoes.

Not all who wander are lost

I have the commuter cycling sandal and I've been pretty happy with them. I use them just as much for walking around as I do for cycling. I do find that I don't like cycling in them without socks--it feels as if one of my big toes are rubbing into something on the inside of the shoe even though they are definitely not too small. I tend to be pretty picky re shoes.
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Have no advice - don't cycle in Keens. But it's great to "see" you stranger.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Lise! I miss you!

(I have nothing to contribute on the Keen sandal front, as I pedal in Newport H2 on BMX pedals)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I haven't tried the arryos - i use my keen commuters with my speedplay frogs - they do flex around the cleat and it can get painful.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Lise!!! So wonderful to see you back!!

I have the commuter sandal and it's all I ever wear. I do triathlons in them, long rides, commutes, etc, etc. I do love them.
    However, I really like the new Arroyo and wonder if that wouldn't be more comfy. With the leather upper I'm not sure it would be good if it got wet,and I don't have to worry about my commuters getting wet- so if you might ever get stuck out in the rain- the commuters would be a better option IMO.

SO glad you're coming back around!!! Don't be such a stranger, okay?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I have the commuter sandals, but I find them a little uncomfortable. Kind of tight. I haven't worn them for more than 12 miles/errand rides/going to the pond, etc. They are fine to walk in, though.
    Take this with a grain of salt, as I wear them on my bike with spd pedals, which are not my favorite pedals to begin with.
    Welcome back!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have the commuter sandals and I like them a lot. I tried Shimamo sandals but they were too wide, and I'd have to pull the straps very tight to compensate, so it felt like they were crushing my insteps.The Keen commuter sandals are much narrower (narrower than the regular street-wear Keens, even). But my feet aren't wide so they work well for me.

I've never tried the Arroyos so I can't help you there.

Welcome back!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Lise, welcome back! You have been missed!

The only cycling shoes I have now are Keen Commuters. However, they run quite narrow for Keens. In fact, with my A-width feet, they are the only Keen shoes of any kind that I can wear. So, if your feet are wider than B width, try the other ones first. From the photos, they look like they are probably made on a wider, typical Keen last.

I use my Commuters with Eggbeater Candies pedals and have done rides up to 52 miles in them. Also quite a bit of walking with no cleat clicking.

In the winter, I ride in them with wool socks (but I live in the south and don't ride if temp is < 50 degrees).

Good luck! Hope one of them works for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Gooood morning TE! How sweet to wake up to so many smiling faces! You've helped a lot, and given me good things to think about. I have wide feet - not AS wide as when I had two huge bunions on the left, but my regular Keens are as narrow as I can go, so the commuter sandals are out. And I never thought about SPD cleats being a problem. Huh. Makes sense. They're the only cleats I've ever used, so it didn't occur to me that the piece of metal pressing right up under the inflamed nerve could be the problem. I'm going to look into eggbeaters. I don't care if my shoes get wet, or dirty, or whatever. That's what feet are for. I want to ride 15 miles, walk around the Botanic Gardens or Navy Pier, get back on my bike and ride home, never once thinking "Damn, my foot is killing me." I think I'll go to a bike store and try on the Arroyos.

Now if they would just make Keens with a 1" heel in a dark brown and a black and skip the rubber toe cap, just once ... I'd wear them with suits.

When I get a chance, I'll catch y'all up on life (those who remember me) - on whatever Thread Drift has morphed into? Where should I look for you miscreants to be hanging out?
    Last edited by Lise; 06-07-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise!!! So glad you're back... get thee to TD and give us an update woman!

Electra Townie 7D