Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Platform pedal vs leg -.-

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday DH, a friend and I did a long bike tour. The guys wanted to try a new trail going downhill, I wasn't too convinced that this was a good idea - and it turned out not so great, very slippery on a lot of roots and loose rocks. Somehow we managed to get back on the fire road, but it had started raining and I was hopping over the water gutters across the path - somehow slipped off my pedal with my left foot and slammed the screws of my platform pedal into my shin. I had to ride on a little while to catch the guys who then cleaned the wounds and put a bandage on while my blood pressure crashed which was really embarrassing, but I was ok after some minutes lying down and some kind of power bar and we went on going downhill through the rain, covering ourselves in dirt from head to toe.

I think nothing too bad happened, the spots from the screws closed after I cleaned them at home, it will hurt a while and leave scars but nothing major.

I still have some issues with what happened, tried to talk to DH but I think he doesn't really get what I am trying to say
    First, I am mad at myself, because I tend to do things I don't want to do if there is enough peer pressure. This trail just felt like an accident waiting to happen all the time and I would by no means have ridden it by myself. Anyway, the accident happened after the difficult part, so I can't really blame it on the trail.
    I also wonder what will happen if I have to perform first aid on myself or others - while this time my almost-fainting just resulted in a little teasing by the guys, this could be a major problem if someone really needs me. I just can't see wounds on me or others.
    And last but not least I don't know what I did wrong when I slipped of my pedal. I hopped over a dozen gutters on my way down and can't remember doing anything wrong at the last one. I enjoy practicing going over obstacles and this could happen again any time. Now, this may be stupid, but I feel really insecure.

I really enjoy mountainbiking and was pushing my limits since I started. When I started I was quite sure that I would never cycle on any serious off road trail and didn't even think about roots and obstacles and the like. The more I did this kind of stuff the more I liked it. On the other hand I'm not overly athletic, my balance isn't the best. I had some minor crashes and a lot of "oh ****" moments and almost-crashes. I guess I will never be _really_ good at this even if I practice (still, I'm amazed that I can do what I can do). Sometimes I question myself if this should be something left to teenagers that learn quicker and don't hurt themselves as easily. Or at least DH and his friends so I don't feel pushed to go beyond my abilities.
    DH is mad at me saying this because he thinks those things just happen but shouldn't stop you from having fun.

Perhaps you could benefit from taking a clinic or some private lessons--something that could help with both your skills and confidence.

I will admit that I'm a total newb. For a long time, I've been relunctant to try MTBing for some of the reasons you mentioned. I finally decided to try it and immediately signed up for a clinic that's next weekend. I've also made DH promise that he won't push me to ride trails beyond my skill level. I'm sure some do just fine pushing themselves in that way, but I know myself well enough to know that it would likely just spook me at best and get me hurt at worst. Perhaps you need to just dial it down a notch or two, ride and your skill level and lay a more secure foundation before going out again on more challenging trails.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thank you for your thoughts.
    I searched for MTB lessons and signed up for a one day course that will take place in two weeks.
    I'm still in doubt if I do the right thing - it says "beginner downhill course" but I guess I will have to give it a try, as there aren't so many options to choose from near my hometown.

I hope you will have fun on your MTB next weekend

I tried to chicken out of that Downhill course, but DH talked me into trying it. I am happy I did it!
    I am impressed that I dared to do the things I did. When trying to follow my instructor, I didn't have much time to think about what might go wrong and just did it.
    Most of the day we practiced tight turns and I think I had a real break through regarding cornering technique. It was easy once I knew how to do it right.

The instructor told me that I was still going too slow and that there is nothing to worry about with the right technique but I guess I just need some more time to let go.

In the end we did small jumps too.

It was my first day in a bike park, and I think had I been on my own I would never have dared to do the Freeride-trail at all. I am surprised how much it helped to have someone explain how to do it right.

I was astonished that she told me that I may be slower but my technique is actually better that that of the guys. She said they often "just go fast".

I'm really looking forward to more lessons now
    Last edited by Susan; 06-20-2011 at 12:09 AM.

You go girl! Downhill & free-ride!? You have ovum!

Cornering is my nemesis, too, although doing cornering drills has helped a bunch. Which techniques did you find most helpful in your cornering lesson?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Shin guards? Most people who ride with platforms wear them.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Clip in - Once, I got used to getting in and out - they are the best for mtn biking. I can't ride a mtn bike with platforms. Oh, my god, that would scare me!

Once you get used to clipping in, it helps your bike handling, you can pull up, it helps when you need to get some air, etc.

Get rid of the platforms, ride easy trails for a while, practicing clipping in and out a lot, you need to be able to clip in and out on both sides. If you give it a chance, I guarantee you will like it better.

I missed this until now. Ouch! That sounds like me, the fainting part. I've fainted a couple of times after being injured. I have been able to help others without fainting. Luckily, it hasn't happened that often, because I do get queasy.

Hope you're all better now!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Which techniques did you find most helpful in your cornering lesson?
    I knew that you are supposed to stand on the "outside" pedal in a turn and lean the bike into the turn with the opposite hand. But what really made a difference for me was that she told me to "turn my butt outward".
    Before, I did never realize that while you lean your bike into the turn, you seperate your body from the bike (you don't lean, only your bike).

There was a small tower in the bikepark - I don't know what that thing is called? - with a tight downward spiral built onto it with walls on both sides. You could stay in a tight turn for quite a long time inside of that tower which was a great opportunity to practice the correct positioning. The instructor told me to really exaggerate the movement like I wanted to touch the outside wall with my whole butt. Sounds stupid but rally helped me to realize what I was supposed to do.

Shin guards? Most people who ride with platforms wear them.
    Very obvious I know. I have to find some that are comfortable and small enough that I really like to wear them on a longer tour.
    Wearing all the protectors in bikepark felt very very safe (and made me look like wonderwoman ). But it's not really an option to carry all of them around for an ordinary biketour.

I really thought about going clipless. But it feels unsafe for me being attached to my bike in that way.
    But platforms have their downsides too, obviously.

Thank you redrhodie, I am better now, only some scars will stay. I guess I will do more training lessons to improve my skills and feel more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post

Very obvious I know. I have to find some that are comfortable and small enough that I really like to wear them on a longer tour.
    Wearing all the protectors in bikepark felt very very safe (and made me look like wonderwoman ). But it's not really an option to carry all of them around for an ordinary biketour.
    Why not? I know quite a few folks that wear shinguards as part of their every day kit.

As for moving your butt with the turn.. that's part of the body/bike separation I am always nattering about. However, I am surprised they'd teach outside-foot-down. I think of that as a road turn, or at the minimum a non-technical riding turn. Once you put a technical trail ( rocks, roots, etc) into the equation, into your trail where your turn is, pedals level is a much safer option so they don't catch.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-24-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

You are right on the shinguards. What I meant to say was that I can't imagine carrying the whole protector kit (back, chest, shoulders, elbows, knee). It's great in bikepark where you don't have to go upwards though

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Susan, do you have a product called QuikClot? It acts as a chemical tourniquet and will stop bleeding from punctures, tears and slices. It's good stuff and it's used by the military out in the field. It may be available at your local pharmacy or sporting goods store.