Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Get your calcium...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Interesting article; my apologies if this has been posted here before.

Take care of your bones

OT but maybe an interesting factoid... the Bob Breedlove in the article is the cyclist who was struck by a car and killed at RAAM this year.

Seeing Eye to Eye

I seem to be seeing eye-to-eye with more people than I used to. The problem is, there was a time when I was looking down to see eye-to-eye with some of the people I am now looking straight in the eye. Reason, bone loss. I have shrunk 3/4 of an inch. It is now harder to reach my bottle of calcium pills (with Vitamin D); but believe me, I make the stretch every day, and after having read that article I will increase my doseage on big riding days. Weight lifting is also planned and sodas are out. Any more bone loss, and I'll look like a worm carrying a purse.
    Thanks for the timely information!
    Helga

That is very sad about Bob Breedlove - he seemed so devoted to the sport.

This month's Outside (November, I guess) had a similar article, again citing cycling as the culprit. Time to add some crosstraining. They both mentioned that walking wasn't enough to help, but this online article said that hiking was helpful. I guess I should put some 'hop' into my step to make it count.

Don't panic yet

Here is an abstract of the article There is lots to be learned yet about osteoporosis. Last summer, Reuters had a summary of a study reported in "Lancet" that not all of the problem of hip
    fractures can be predicted strictly by bone density. Certain activities, like rowing & cycling seemed to specifically strengthen the neck of the femur, reducing the incidence of fractures. Unfortunately, Reuters has dropped the link so it will take me a while to get a link to the original article. Remember, science can not keep up to even a slow cyclist going uphill in a wind and ice storm. The way bone remodels, heals, and degenerates is very complicated and won't be fully understood any time soon. Get your calcium, get your exercise and don't be afraid of your bike.
    Last edited by newfsmith; 10-24-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add link

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    While I'm not a big fan of chocolate, my doc recommended having a cup of hot soy cocoa (using the calcium enriched stuff) as I stay as far away from dairy as I can. She seemed to think that as long as I was faithful about it, I would get about the same amount as with Tums (my previous calcium delivery device). I'm pretty good about it in the winter but get lax in the summer when I don't think much about drinking warm beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    While I'm not a big fan of chocolate, my doc recommended having a cup of hot soy cocoa (using the calcium enriched stuff) as I stay as far away from dairy as I can. She seemed to think that as long as I was faithful about it, I would get about the same amount as with Tums (my previous calcium delivery device). I'm pretty good about it in the winter but get lax in the summer when I don't think much about drinking warm beverages.

drink it iced - like iced coffee!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

It had never occurred to me that this was an issue for men!
    Thanks for posting the article... I have sent the link on to few others.

The thing that isn't mentioned in here is the diet of serious and/or elite cyclists which, without supplements or careful monitoring (or both), would lack in calcium and other essential nutrients...

What do we all want ? To drop weight so we are faster up hills, so our power:weight ratio improves, so we are more aerodynamic... so we try to lose weight. In male cyclists its that under 10% body fat that they aim for. Natural thing to cut out - dairy... high in fats, lactose sugars and calcium...

I think a study like this should also have considered diet, because that MUST be a factor in bone density (or lack thereof...)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".