Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Beginner-buying a bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am interested in buying a mountain bike to use on trails and a local canal path. I don't expect to ever do any real aggresive mtn biking. I have done a minimal amount of mountain biking in the past. I test road a Myka(26") today and the Myka 29er. The 29er was a perfect fit and was the most comfortable bike I've ever been on. The issue is -do I buy a $900 bike, having little experience, just mountain biking desire. It sounds like a great bike for my goals. I've bought the wrong bike before and I don't want to do it again.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pathles View Post
    I am interested in buying a mountain bike to use on trails and a local canal path. I don't expect to ever do any real aggresive mtn biking. I have done a minimal amount of mountain biking in the past. I test road a Myka(26") today and the Myka 29er. The 29er was a perfect fit and was the most comfortable bike I've ever been on. The issue is -do I buy a $900 bike, having little experience, just mountain biking desire. It sounds like a great bike for my goals. I've bought the wrong bike before and I don't want to do it again.

Thanks!
    $900 would probably buy you a good quality bike, one you could ride for years. Why not? what's worse is spending $200 and buying a beater bike and THEN realizing you should have bought the $900 one.
    Welcome to TE!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'd go for it But I'm an enabler who desperately wants a new mountain bike, anyway. If you fell in love and the bike's the perfect fit, what more are you waiting for? I doubt you're going to buy it, take it for a ride, and then decide you don't like riding any more.

If you don't think you're likely to race, things like weight, etc. aren't a huge concern so you aren't likely to want to trade up immediately. You can always upgrade components down the line if you aren't happy with shifting, brakes, etc. And the Myka is a nice enough ride that you aren't going to decide that mountain biking is miserable and painful and you hate that you ever tried it. Sounds like the perfect choice to me!

Though if you stick around here, bike envy is inevitable

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens