Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Exploring ethnic grocery stores

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I get to these places by bike.

So today, after cycling 18 kms., I went to a major Middleastern bakery (that supplies to part of western Canada) where for $5.00, I had a 10" large super thin pita grilled with spices (is it sumach or whatever??), a phyllo pistachio baklava rosette and a bag of 6 large fresh pita. Then I cycled 2 blocks over to a large newish Middleastern supermarket.

I've been to Middleastern grocery stores before, but they usually are much smaller scaled but stuffed with lots of stuff. This one has wide frickin' aisles, generously stocked.
    And 10 ft. aisle which offered over 20 different types of couscous, kasha and bulger. It was like the Asian version of 15 types of rice --in big bags.

Then I found Chinese green tea (gunpowder version) but with labelling that was: Chinese, French and Arabic. So cool. So Canadian.
    So with the trilingual tea box, I hauled back some dried figs, veggies, cilantro, hummus. I only had 1 pannier.

I plan to make this another grocery stop which would include this city's only major Chinese/Asian supermarket about 1 km. away (T & T for those who are familiar with this Chinese supermarket chain in Vancouver & Toronto.)

I love these ethnic supermarket places! I know sometimes they might be abit more expensive than mom 'n pop ethnic stores, but sometimes it's great for exploring and for sheer range of choice.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-05-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I had fun discovering the Asian supermarket near my hotel when I moved here. Found all kinds of interesting stuff. I think I still have some dim sum in my freezer. There's a hispanic oriented grocery not too far from me, so when I want Mexican I know where to go.

Gee, thanks for making have a hankering to stroll their aisles again. I'm gimpy and can't (shouldn't) go anywhere.

I would like to find a middle-eastern supermarket/grocery.

I like food.
    Beth