Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

stand up paddling??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone do stand up paddling? Since I'm not allowed to do much swimming anymore I want to find a good upper body sport. This one has piqued my interest.

Do I need lessons? What do I look for in a board for lake paddling? What else?

I've never tried it, but it looks like fun. Thought about trying it while we were in Hawaii, but no time.

I hope you can find something.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My Costco has two different boards and paddles (one is about $400 and the other is about twice that).

It is tempting. We've got lots of lakes around here. I see a lot of folks doing it.

I love kayaking too much, and I think I'd rather put that $$ toward kayak rental.

but it is tempting....
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I've tried it a few times and watched people do it. It's initially fun as a novelty (on flat water) - but I think I'd get bored of it after a while (maybe I'd like it in surf?)... It doesn't look like you can go anywhere fast and then you have the issue of how much you can bring with you.

I like my kayak instead.

I have a friend that bought an inflatable one so she could try the sport without investing too much and it does seem to work well.

Get a life jacket/pfd, a paddle, and a board. maybe find somewhere to rent or take a lesson first to make sure that you do enjoy the sport.

I've done a lot of kayaking and would prefer to do that. But I'm worried that the kayaking (elbow is further from the body) motion has too much abduction at the shoulder. Stand up paddling looks like more of a fore-aft arm motion, with the elbow closer to the body.

We're still not sure what motion caused my subclavian vein clot, but I got it while swimming which has a lot of abduction, and did fine with cross country skiing, which is more of a flexion-extension movement. I'm hoping to find an exercise that won't generate another clot.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has an idea on something to work my upper body besides the paddling.

Would you be okay with a greenland paddle for kayaking?

Your paddling motion should be more of a torso rotation than moving your shoulder... but maybe I'm not visualizing what movement gives you trouble right.

I just looked at some videos using a Greenland paddle. I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not. It is a different motion than with the type of paddle I've used before. The motion that I think is the problem is when the arm swings back, with the elbow out, away from the body. It doesn't matter if it's a pushing or pulling motion, it's more of the position.

Try greenland paddling and try stand up paddle boarding and see what it feels like for you.

The beauty of greenland paddling is that it's gentle, and really you do it however it works for you - if something hurts or the motion is bad for you, you just don't do it. And that's pretty much how it's taught - do what works for you. It's a smaller blade, so you just do it at a higher cadence, like small gears on the bicycle.

By arm swinging back, are you saying that your arm shouldn't swing back behind your shoulder or that your arm can't be extended out at all?

If you mean the latter, just ignore what I say next.

Because if it's the arm shouldn't swing back behind the shoulder with the elbow out though, that's not something you should be doing - it's a torso rotation - your arm shouldn't go behind your shoulder. Your torso should physically rotate like you're looking to the left or right when paddling.

A good way to stop rotating with the shoulders is to take a paddle and stick it through the shoulders of your pfd in your back, which will stop you from rotating at the shoulders and force you to rotate using your torso... Another good drill is to take a paddle and paddle with it without bending your elbows at all - the only way you can complete a stroke is if you rotate.

These images might help - they're basically sideways to the boat at the end of the stroke...

and I thought someone had invented a new misspelling for pedaling.

Have fun!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

See the position of his left arm and her right? That's the movement that I want to avoid, at least as a repetitive motion. It doesn't matter whether I'm pushing or pulling. It's the position of having the arm extended outward from the body.

Can you maybe do ocean or race canoeing?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmVmJsYPm7k&feature=fvsr

You might want to mute the soundtrack, it's annoying.

Try standup paddling
    Last edited by Cataboo; 06-05-2011 at 08:47 AM.

We were out on rented kayaks this weekend and there were a LOT of people out there doing the standup paddling. I was watching them for awhile and you could really see how it would be a good core workout. I wanted to try it but we had limited time. I will say that when the wind picked up pretty heavily in the afternoon, all those stand up people were sitting on their boards and paddling back to the rental place to get out of the wind!

The place we got our kayaks from were renting boards/paddles and PFD's for like $30 for two hours. Sounds like a good way to get an idea if you'll like it before investing in the gear.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I know this post is old but....you should definitely try it if you haven't yet! I just sold my paddleboard because I'm moving to a smaller place but it's tons of fun! It's a great workout and believe me you feel it everywhere. I used to take my board out in Key Biscayne here in Miami and I'd always see stingrays, spotted eagle rays, dolphins, and sharks underwater and around me. Sounds kinda scary but once you're out there you lose the fear. It's fairly easy to balance on one too. My friend has a dislocated shoulder injury from a few years ago and they have told her to try it because she can't really swim anymore without it popping out. Anywho...I say give it a shot! And wear sunscreen!!!
    1995 Bianchi Eros
    Steel SS commuter I built

I got a board a few weeks ago. I love it. The board I got is a Tahoe SUP Bliss. It's specifically designed for lakes and flat water. Fun, fun, fun