Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile New member with a bike upgrade question...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi. I posted in the Heart Palps/Health Issues thread first and thought I'd properly intro myself here.

I first took up the bike seriously in '07 when I lived in Japan and needed to haul my fat *** and 30 lbs groceries home by easier route than foot. Husband was diagnosed with diabetes too so that scared me properly. We lost 60 lbs each and I enjoyed my first bike. A '07 Chipmunk (yeah, that's right) with granny basket for the groceries. It was definitely one of those utilitarian oddities you see in Asian countries. I had to look silly out there doing the Imperial Palace loop on Sunday morning with all those fast road guys. But I had to get out there. I was hooked.

I remember weighing 230 lbs and watching this stick figure Japanese friend with a 2" gap between her upper thighs ride her bike and son up the steepest, shortest most insane grade of hill beside our school. I remember thinking that I'd die before I could ever ride that hill but.... someday.... maybe I could if I ever got my but in gear.

After losing weight and riding my bike more and more... guess what? I did ride that hill. And because I could, I did it often, every day! Sometimes 3-4 times a day. I would change my route to ride by the school even if I had no need to go there... just so I could ride that hill.

We moved back to US. I changed that '07 Chipmunk in for an '09 Schwinn Target model. Mistake. After a year on that bike I realized my husband had been correct that a fit at the LBS was a better way to go. So I got a '10 Specialized Aerial Sport hybrid. I have ridden that for a year now and 2000 miles later have once again moved beyond what my bike can deliver. I'm desperate for drop bars and integrated shifter and that posture I get with that drop bar reach. I'm a roadie now. I love the road. I go crazy on a day I can't get on my bike but the hybrid doesn't do it for me anymore.

So now I'm waiting on my new endurance road bike. I was fit and measured and was getting the Specialized Ruby. It'll be here Friday. There was a moment when the LBS told me it was not in stock and Specialized was waiting for August to unveil the new '12 model. No more Ruby Black Komens in stock or made this year. I could do two things. Move to the Amira (which is a step up to the performance road bike) or they would reach out to other bike shops in TX for the Ruby and see if there were any available. I began to salivate over the Amira and thinking that it was too many steps away from the bike I deserved or needed I reined myself in. Now today I was ready to call the bike guy and tell him I'll take the Amira but alas... I'll have to settle my sights back to the Ruby. They found one, in San Antonio and it'll be here tomorrow, put together and ready on Friday.

I guess I'll save the next step up... a performance or racing road bike for next year.... as I seem to take leaps in my biking by the year.

I am also moving back to Japan and this time plan to train more intensely on the hills. I was just getting up to riding a century or charity ride but will have to retrain those thoughts in Japan. There are several club rides and charity rides and a few centuries I already know about. I can't wait.

After being athletic and sporty in high school and college I fell into lethargy and laziness as an adult. But now in just four years I've gone from a couch potato, computer surfer junkie who couldn't haul home the sugar without gasping for breath, taking a taxi at the bottom of the hill because I'd worn myself out navigating subways and sidewalks all day to a bike nut, back to that amazing country, beating the hell out of those roads and hills with my new awesome bike.

Glad to be here and hope you guys don't mind the long intro. I'm a wordie.

Love your story - Super cool! Welcome!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Welcome, good story- and you will love your Ruby! I love mine.

Where in Japan? I have a friend who lives part time in Osaka and part time in Tsu (Did I spell that right?)
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yay! I got a Ruby Elite this year and it rocks. I think you will be very happy with it.

Welcome!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I've been drooling over a Ruby. They're nice bikes. Enjoy!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I've been drooling over a Ruby. They're nice bikes. Enjoy!
    Thanks. I certainly enjoyed it on my test rides. I'll get the feel for it for the next three months and then lay it out in Japan. I also write and take writing classes and enjoy blogs. I've added yours to my blog list. I have writer's blogs and now have biker's blogs. I'll drop in and read a bit along the way. The next writing class I'm taking is blogging and travel writing. Not sure what my blog is going to be about. Living in Tokyo and traveling in Asia or biking. Can be both I guess.

Thanks for the welcomes....

I'm moving to Tokyo. Use to live there. I think I'll enjoy the Ruby very much. Thanks ladies. I joined a biking forum in Tokyo but they're all men it seems. I'll enjoy it here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zoompastmykids View Post
    Thanks. I certainly enjoyed it on my test rides. I'll get the feel for it for the next three months and then lay it out in Japan. I also write and take writing classes and enjoy blogs. I've added yours to my blog list. I have writer's blogs and now have biker's blogs. I'll drop in and read a bit along the way. The next writing class I'm taking is blogging and travel writing. Not sure what my blog is going to be about. Living in Tokyo and traveling in Asia or biking. Can be both I guess.
    That would be an interesting read! I have friends in Japan (one's in Tokyo, the other's in Nagoya until mid-July), and I'm always fascinated by the pictures they post on Facebook. Living and biking in Japan. Sounds like fun!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I love your username, it makes me chuckle whenever I see it.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Other people's success stories in weight loss are inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    I love your username, it makes me chuckle whenever I see it.
    I find it's frustrating now. I want to bike everywhere. To lunch or dinner or the grocery store and they don't want to keep up. They sometimes can't keep up. It's something we're working on as a family.

what a great story, welcome to TE... nice that you can take your Ruby to Japan with you!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Great story and inspirational! I adore my Ruby Elite.

To be honest I think you will enjoy and find the Ruby more comforatble than the Amira. The Amira is designed to be raced. This means heads down, in the drops, hard out racing. For most riding (events, centuries, group rides) the Ruby is the better bike.

And that had been my reservation ...more bike than I needed or could handle....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    To be honest I think you will enjoy and find the Ruby more comforatble than the Amira. The Amira is designed to be raced. This means heads down, in the drops, hard out racing. For most riding (events, centuries, group rides) the Ruby is the better bike.

.... But someone suggested I go with it (a more serious biker who can't see my less serious needs) so I test rode the Amira from the shop. For 10 miles seemed fine but glad I went with the Ruby. It's in my garage as I type. Just picked it up today and rode a short ride. Waiting for evening ride (< 100 degrees) to put some miles on it. Happy with my purchase. Well... my hubby's birthday purchase for me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!