Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught!

Caught!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was having an excellent evening commute, happily minding my own business, when all of a sudden I'm hit by a bunch of coins that have been thrown out a passing car window. I was absolutely shocked, as you can imagine, and when they followed that by throwing a pizza box at me, I got kind of scared that more would come. But, I was also mad. How dare they do that to me, or to anyone?! I did nothing to deserve that. I wanted to report them. I needed to.

I guess my adrenaline was pumping at that point, because I never lost sight of the car. I'm not sure how far I went, maybe a mile, when they pulled into a driveway of a business. I got a little nervous that they were waiting for me to pass, so they could harass me some more. I slowed down, and they pulled out before I got to them. Then, they pulled into another business a little further up the road, this time a liquor store, and one of them got out of the car and went into the store. He was shirtless, and appeared to be intoxicated, so I dared not confront him (although I though about it for a split second). I decided to not draw any attention to myself, just ride by like nothing happened. I was able to see the license plate clearly at this point. I rode a little further up the road, stood on the sidewalk, and called 911.

As I'm talking to the operator, the car drives by me, and the driver looks right at me and smiles. It was creepy. There were 4 or 5 men, in their early 20s, in the car. I was pretty freaked at this point, really afraid they were going to hurt me or someone else, and they were driving kind of erratically. I told this to the police. I told them the make, model and color of the car. I told them the direction they were traveling, and the dispatcher told me she thought they were going to get them. I didn't believe her.

Well, I was wrong. By the time I got to my car, the police called me back and asked me if I could come to the station to give a report. I did, and while in the lobby, a man approached and asked if I was the cyclist who had the pizza box thrown at her. He then told me it was his pizza, stolen from his car, along with his credit card, Iphone, and other items. There was another woman leaving the lobby as I got there, whose car had also just been broken into, and her stuff was recovered in their car, too. Evidently, they had been breaking into cars all day, and now they were caught because they threw change and pizza at me.

I'll tell you, knowing these guys were caught made all the fear and anger I felt go away. I'm so happy the police took me seriously. I'm so glad I didn't just blow it off, because it's easier to do that. I'm so glad the people who had their stuff stolen will get it back. I hope these guys never throw anything at another cyclist because they're in prison. I have a new idea of who throws stuff at cyclists. Really bad guys.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Wow, what a story! I'm so glad everything turned out well. Good job getting the plate.

I'd say please be more careful ... but I know how that is when adrenaline is pumping. I've been known to chase down thieves myself.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Kudos to you for holding up so well in what could have been a scary situation. I'm sure the other victims are extremely grateful that these thugs were caught because of your actions. Good job!
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Way to go. It's about time these guys got their dues. I'm glad you remained safe, too.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Kudos for you for being able to do what you needed to do - and to have the presence of mind! You did a very good thing to help get those people off the streets, and am very glad that you didn't get hurt!

Wow. Good for you for holding yourself together and getting that plate!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

What a story! I'll echo what others have said - kudos to you!! Great job on keeping your cool, keeping safe, and providing the police with enough information. I bet the people whose stuff was stolen will be extra special nice to cyclists from now on (not that they weren't already but....).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I bet the people whose stuff was stolen will be extra special nice to cyclists from now on (not that they weren't already but....).
    The guy whose stuff was stolen was out running when it happened, and the officer said she was a cyclist. They both really "got" what it's like to have stuff thrown at you, and were totally empathetic. That was really cool. I was expecting for everyone to think it wasn't a big deal since I wasn't hurt.

I'm still coming down from this. I know how I am, and this will have an impact. I have the next couple of days off. I wouldn't be surprised if I sleep a lot.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I do think it will have an impact. If it were me, I would likely have a giant headache too (from the adrenaline crash). Be kind to yourself - you did a good thing!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow; that's one crazy story. Good on you for keeping your cool and calling the police. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I'm sure the people they robbed are very grateful to you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You definitely did the right thing IMHO.
    Last Friday I was riding home from coffee with DH, in broad daylight, and a man was chasing two younger men. They tussled on the corner right by where I would be riding in a few seconds, and I saw that they weren't playing - one guy had a knife! They all ran around the corner and the two victims got away. In the meantime I turned down that same street (don't ask me why) and the knife guy was returning from where he came and walked right by me, just feet away. I was in the bike lane and kept riding and didn't look at him. I didn't want him to think I witnessed anything. After riding a bit further I stopped and called 911 & I tell you 4 police cars were there within 30 seconds of me originating that call!
    Yes be safe, but be involved. You likely saved a lot of other folks from these crazies!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    The guy whose stuff was stolen was out running when it happened, and the officer said she was a cyclist. They both really "got" what it's like to have stuff thrown at you, and were totally empathetic. That was really cool. I was expecting for everyone to think it wasn't a big deal since I wasn't hurt.

I'm still coming down from this. I know how I am, and this will have an impact. I have the next couple of days off. I wouldn't be surprised if I sleep a lot.
    I'm feeling on-edge just reading your account!

I'm really glad you did that, though. You did the right thing, helped some other innocent people, and helped nab the bad guys. That's a pretty good day!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Good for you! It's great that you were able to get that plate number and get something done.

Wow! Glad you're OK and that the cops were able to catch the bad guys.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post

Wow! Glad you are okay and they were caught - kudos to you for your calm actions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)