Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    What a bunch of idiots to draw attention to themselves while having stolen stuff in their car. Mean idiots. I hope they get what they deserve.
    People these days are so angry! I am so thankful that you didn't get harmed even worse than you did! You did us all a big service by reporting them to the authorities. He's one less menace who has learned that you will not be victimized by their random acts of stupidity.

I never had the adrenaline crash I was expecting today. I've had enough confrontations with cars (I once had a cookie thrown at me) to know that I get a little PTSD afterward (not after the cookie ). I don't think that's going to happen this time. I didn't ride today, but that wasn't because of the incident at all. I just wanted a rest day, and there are tornado warnings. I'm looking forward to getting on my bike, and saving lives. I'm cracking myself up, btw.

Right after they got out of my sight, I felt very vulnerable. I was very vulnerable, but I had a cell phone, and a lot of cars/people around me. In a case like this, where it's you against a group in a car, and you don't know what's going to happen next, well, it makes me realize this turned out as well as it possibly could have. These things happen way too often. I really hope that a strong action by the law will send a message, and teach them a lesson. I know the coins thrown at me will be the least of the charges (which the police officer said was something like "launching missiles") but I hope that when they drive again, they won't attack anyone else. I really, really hope that this doesn't make them want to take revenge on a cyclist. That thought makes me feel sick.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I am sorry this happened to you Redhoodie but what a fantastic story with a great ending. I don't think anyone could have handled a situation like that any better than you did.

You will always come to mind when I see an idiotic thing happen on the road.

~JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Wow - what an amazing story with a huge happy ending!!! Well done, you - that took quick thinking and nerve to handle it the way you did.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Right after they got out of my sight, I felt very vulnerable. I was very vulnerable...
    That's the worst feeling--particularly as a female cyclist who had to deal with 4 young men. It could have gone terribly wrong but thankfully you are safe and the authorities are able to press charges. I really admire those of you who commute and who face not only the dangers of traffic but irresponsible drivers as well. I'm not so sure I would continue to commute after having several objects thrown at me.

I'm sure it was really scary- good thing you were able to keep such a cool head and that you helped put these guys away.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I second everyone elses sentiments on - Wow, what a story and I'm glad you are ok and you could help catching these dumb asses.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Wow! Scary story! I have a knot in my stomach just reading it.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Holy moly!

I'm incredibly impressed! Not only that you had the nerve and smarts to call 9-1-1, but that the police responded so quickly!

I've called the police before and it can take a few minutes for them to even answer. I can't imagine having an emergency like what you went through and waiting for them to respond.

So you were riding your bike on a regular route and you were going back to your car?

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Good job on helping to get those poster children for birth control off the streets!

I love stories like these! Good news is the only news I read nowadays.

How awful for you and how great that you called 911 and didn't allow yourself to be victimized. This one had a positive ending. Good job.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I would have been scared to death, but you should be proud that you helped catch these morons.
    DH was just saying that it has been years since he has had anything thrown at him. This used to happen routinely about 10-12 years ago, especially when he was riding with DS. It was always a guy in a pickup, throwing a beer bottle, calling them homophobic slurs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I also am so impressed by the police, especially since in hindsight, they must have turned. If they had continued straight, I would have seen them get stopped. So, quick thinking by the cops, for knowing they were getting on a different road. There is a great police presence on that road. I pass one most evenings. Yes, Roxy, this is my regular route. I park my car at a park and ride lot, since the bridges are non-cycling, I have to drive part way to work.

I rode yesterday, and felt really good. No residual anxiety or fear. This was actually really empowering for me. It confirmed calling 911 is valid for this kind of offense. We all know it is, but I suspect a lot of police may think it's not, so I wouldn't be surprised by police not taking quick action. I just happened to be in the right town. They took it very seriously.

Crankin, they were from your state. Most of the incidents I've had have been with out of state cars. I think it's partly because we're an easy drive to nice beaches, so we get a lot of young groups in cars, and it's that group dynamic at work, as well as alcohol.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

You are so brave!!!
    What a woman!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

It really sucks that this happened, but you totally did the right thing...

And you made my day by posting it for us to read. Thanks!