Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tandem Questions!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey girls, I have been looking for a used tandem for me and my mom to ride. I found one on craigslist and went to look at it today. It is an IronHorse mountain tandem prolly a 1993. It was in great shape, no rust, clean, everything worked great. Came with a computer already on it. The frame is steel so it was plushy to ride. Me and my friend took it for a spin and I think I can handle the beast okay

My question is from what I read online it looks like IronHorse used to be an American manufacturer of higher end mountain bikes. It looks like new this tandem sold for about $1000 this seller is asking $375. Only thing that needs replaced is the chain: not the big one but the 'normal' sized one on the back. I really love the way it looks it's purple on the front and fades into blue on the back, very neat. What do you all think? Is this a good deal? Any thoughts on this manufacturer. Me and my mom aren't looking to break any speed barriers just out for a 'brisk' ride for fun.

I don't know the first thing about tandems, but it sounds like a great deal. Get it! Post pictures and a ride report. What a cool idea to ride with your mother.

You also probably want to replace the tires as well- it's often hard to see perishing.

This website is very good for info about tandems and also has a tandem price estimating guide for used tandems. The guy who runs the website, Tandem Geek , is really helpful and if you go to the tandem section of Bikeforums.net and post he is normally there to answer.

Have fun!

Opp would be good it I put the wesite in! www.thetandemlink.com
    Last edited by Kiwi Stoker; 05-30-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Any tandem at that price is a great deal unless it's a wreck! We've paid up to $6000 for a (new, very fine) tandem, so I'd say if it fits, go for it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have a nice set of MB slicks I plan to put on it to make her a lil more 'peppy' and tomorrow we are gonna check it for fit but since we are almost the same height and I can do front and back on it I'm hoping we will be okay. Nontheless we are trying it out together tomorrow just to be sure she is okay with it.

sounds great! pictures??
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'm working on pics

Sounds awesome to me - looking forward to the pics!

Yeah Catrin YOU would like it, it's purple on the front!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Sounds awesome to me - looking forward to the pics!

Tired of prepping and ready to roll!

You know it can take a LOT of elbow grease to get a bike up and running and comfortable for TWO people. As of today I swaped the captains stem to something shorter, we cut down both sets of handlebars and I just finished putting the computer on, getting the handgrips back on, installing the cargo rack and adding bento boxes and a seat bag. That's not including the ALL DAY cleaning job we did yesterday. Whew!!! We have done a couple of short "fitting" rides. Tonights ride was WAY fun and super comfy so I think we may be ready for 30 miles tomorrow.

Sounds wonderful, and looking forward to seeing pictures

Finally a picture!

Here it is! You can't tell for whatever reason from this picture but the front is purple and the back is blue. It looks solid blue here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tandem_3621.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	13241  

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Here it is! You can't tell for whatever reason from this picture but the front is purple and the back is blue. It looks solid blue here?
    Beautiful! I can see the change of color, it is a dark purple? It is nice in the picture but I bet it is stunning in person!

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    You know it can take a LOT of elbow grease to get a bike up and running and comfortable for TWO people. As of today I swaped the captains stem to something shorter, we cut down both sets of handlebars and I just finished putting the computer on, getting the handgrips back on, installing the cargo rack and adding bento boxes and a seat bag. That's not including the ALL DAY cleaning job we did yesterday. Whew!!! We have done a couple of short "fitting" rides. Tonights ride was WAY fun and super comfy so I think we may be ready for 30 miles tomorrow.
    But isn't it cool that you know how to do all those things!!!

I'm glad you and your mom are having fun. What a cool thing to do together.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That is gorgeous!! How fun that you and your mom can ride together now!
    I can see the change in color- but I'll bet it's so pretty IRL. Congrats on your new steed!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike