Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hello from a Newbie n00b

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, everyone:

I am brand new to cycling. I rode as a kid, obviously, and did a bit of mountain biking with the boys in college. But I really am starting from nothing.

My husband used to race and is one of those guys that hogs up the Tivo during race season AND also subscribes to internet feeds He has been attending Robbie Ventura's training group and I offered to go to one of their once a week for 8 weeks training "camps."

I'm not sure what I expected but, I am used to punishment - heavy weight lifting, serious martial arts, boxing - and this just kills me. I mean I feel practically crippled. The classes last an hour and a half and I think I'm the weakest one there...they're mostly triathletes. It feels kind of discouraging, but I don't want to quit.

Sooo...any way I can accelerate my recovery? I literally hurt for a week right now and I can't ride very much in-between classes. Is this normal? Am I just a pathetic weakling?

Don't have mch to offer for recovery, but welcome to TE!

I've read that compression garment worn right after a hard ride does aid in recovery. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

as a creaky old lady who occasionaly does a really stupidly tough and difficult training class, I swear by my compression garments.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Sleep loooong glorious nights. 9-10 hours. And drink TONS of water. :up:

Welcome (back) to a wonderful world! Just make sure you do it for fun too. Ride nice and easy in a way that makes you smile so you don't get burned out by trying to keep up with all the hammerheads!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    Sleep loooong glorious nights. 9-10 hours. And drink TONS of water. :up:

Welcome (back) to a wonderful world! Just make sure you do it for fun too. Ride nice and easy in a way that makes you smile so you don't get burned out by trying to keep up with all the hammerheads!
    Yeah, the coach stands next to me commenting on how I need a faster cadence, when I can barely move and my quads are beyond burning. I just keep thinking, you know, I could punch you right now, I'm good at that at least....
    2009 Specialized Dolce Vita