Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picked-up a set of aerobars...now where to put my computer and light?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I scored these on eBay (for less than the price of a new pair of heavier aluminum ones). I have relatively narrow handlebars (40cm) with flat tops (which I love), so I really doubt there will be room for my computer mounts (especially since my "computer" is a Garmin Forerunner 305 and doesn't have a particularly small footprint) and a light.

I'm eyeballing this attachment...has anyone used it that weigh-in on its usefulness/quality? Reviews on Amazon seem pretty good.

Any other adaptors to recommend? I looked at some of those little nob doohickeys, but I don't think the large ones would even be wide enough for my Garmin (and I actually have 2 mounts for that--the one that's like a pseudo wrist that I use 99% of the time and then the quick-release mount for duathlon races).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

When I had aerobars on my bike, I used something like this. I had the same bars that you just got (PD Jammers) and I put the mount on the straight section of the bar. Made it really easy to view my computer screen from any position. I've never seen the attachment pictured in your post...but I'm trying to visualize how/where it would even go on the handlebars. Too bad there isn't a picture of it actually attached to the bars, so you can see what it looks like.
    Last edited by nscrbug; 05-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Here's what that attachment looks like coming out from under the handlebars:

It can apparently be attached to the stem or the handlebars.

I'm sorta leaning against any sort of mount on the aerobars, since I may not leave them on all the time. It would be nice to be able to have them attached to the bike in some way, that way I don't have to move them around too much.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Some other views...looks like it's pretty much infinitely adjustable:
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Ahhh...I see how it works now. Thanks for the pics. Looks like it would work fine...the only gripe I'd have with it, is the size of it...it looks rather large and cumbersome and I personally wouldn't like something that big cluttering up my handlebar area. But that's just me.

Yeah...it's not sleek from the look of things. Man, I wish I had broader shoulders so that limited real estate on my handlebars weren't such an issue.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

@zoon-zoom, just curious, since you mentioned 40 cm bars. Are you shoulders 40 cm also? I ask because when I test rode a road bike they measured my shoulders and said they were 40 cm, so that the bar should be that wide. I rode with a 40 cm and a 42 cm wide handlebars and I felt a difference, although not sure how to describe the difference. Your thoughts? What differences have you noticed? I'd appreciate your insight, given that I've read articles online talking about handlebar widths and some somewhat conflicting opinions.
    Thanks.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

My shoulders are actually 38, but my bike is a men's frame and 40 was the smallest handlebars available. My previous bike had 38...I can't really say that I notice a difference, but that's mainly because my 2 bikes handle so differently to begin with. My reach on my previous bike was really a bit too short for me. Current bike has a slightly longer top tube and a 20mm longer stem (started out with the shorter stem, but handling was scary and I felt cramped).

I can say that I wouldn't want my bars any wider, though. If they were wider I don't think I'd be comfortable riding on the hoods.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Actually the knob thing works really well. I often set up tri-bars for customers, who then can't see their computer. As long as you aren't using the hydration bottle that nestles between the aerobars, the bobble works perfectly. It comes in 2 lengths & the longer one is better. It's extremely light & simple. I have used it with a variety of computers - Cateye, Garmin 705, Garmin 800 & it's very solid.

Mind you - someone is making a lot of money from it - I would bet it doesn't cost much more than 50p to make - but in the UK it retails for about £12 . . . never mind - it does solve a problem very well.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    My shoulders are actually 38, but my bike is a men's frame and 40 was the smallest handlebars available. My previous bike had 38...I can't really say that I notice a difference, but that's mainly because my 2 bikes handle so differently to begin with. My reach on my previous bike was really a bit too short for me. Current bike has a slightly longer top tube and a 20mm longer stem (started out with the shorter stem, but handling was scary and I felt cramped).

I can say that I wouldn't want my bars any wider, though. If they were wider I don't think I'd be comfortable riding on the hoods.
    How does one take a proper measurement of shoulder width (for bike purposes)? I was told that my shoulders are 38 (my bars are 38 also), however...I feel that I'm very broad-shouldered since I have a lot of trouble finding tops that fit properly across my upper back/shoulder area. So now I'm wondering if I really am a 38 in my shoulders and if maybe a 40cm bar might be a better option for me?

I've always read to measure across the back from acromion to acromion (the point at the outside top of your shoulderblades).

I've been measured at exactly 38 cm, but I can't comfortably ride bars narrower than 40 cm. How I knew is that when I started to fatigue on a long ride on the 38s that came on my bike, while riding on the hoods, my wrists would break to the outside. I'm very comfortable on 42 cm bars as well, just not as aerodynamic. Years ago I actually built up my race bike with 42s, they're that much more comfortable for me.

Some of it will depend on exactly where the manufacturer measures the bars, too. Center-to-center, outside-to-outside, hooks or bar ends? One company's 40 cm bars aren't going to feel the same width as another's.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm like Oak. By all accounts, I should ride 38s, but I'm much more comfortable with 40s. I like the extra leverage of a wider bar too.

Quote Originally Posted by alimey View Post
    Actually the knob thing works really well. I often set up tri-bars for customers, who then can't see their computer. As long as you aren't using the hydration bottle that nestles between the aerobars, the bobble works perfectly. It comes in 2 lengths & the longer one is better. It's extremely light & simple. I have used it with a variety of computers - Cateye, Garmin 705, Garmin 800 & it's very solid.

Mind you - someone is making a lot of money from it - I would bet it doesn't cost much more than 50p to make - but in the UK it retails for about £12 . . . never mind - it does solve a problem very well.
    Yeah, they are $$ for something that I'm sure costs less than a quarter!

I ended up ordering 2 of the longer ones...maybe down the road I will come up with a different solution, but this one seems the easiest to implement from the start. I think I should be able to fit my Forerunner 305 pseudo-wrist on one and the quick-release base and little white Knog light on the other.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Zoom, do you have a link to this mount? I have the same issue. I put aerobars on my bike and I would like to sometimes have them on and sometimes not, so the computer mount on the bars is a pain.

I ordered mine off eBay. I think I've seen them other places, cheaper, but I wanted to be able to use Paypal and not my CC.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3