Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multiple Myeloma

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't want to hijack Silver's thread but as I mentioned, that's what is going on with me. My hubby was diagnosed with this form of blood cancer.

There so many people here that if you are anyone you know has had this, I'm interested in hearing your experiences. Thank you so much for the kind words.

We went to the beach recently to relax and planned on taking our bikes but in the end he didn't know if he would be able to ride so we decided it was too much work to haul them.

On another note, I just recently sold one bike. Since I'm not able to ride nearly as much, I decided to narrow them down. Selling sure is hard. I would have bought it back from them the next day if I could have.

I miss this place and hope everyone is doing well.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

I'm sorry to hear that your hubby has such a scary disease. i know nothing about it but I wanted to let you know that I care.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Sandra! Haven't heard from you in ages. So sorry about what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

sandra,

hang in there, I know nothing about that type of cancer, but I have found wonderful and positive support here, especially when I need to vent. I hope that you can do the same, we are all here to help. In the meantime, I will add you to my "spinning my wheels prayer wheel" and will occasionally stomp and sing some positive energy your way.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I know a lot about the drugs for it, but can't speak to how it feels for the person. A good friend's step mother has it and they've done a fundraising walk for the MM research foundation for years. I know she's been doing well on treatment for quite a long time, but I don't know the step mother very well, so can't really even tell you much about what all she's going through.

I will add my thoughts, prayers and well wishes though.

I have a good friend who was diagnosed with it a few years ago. She went through a successful autologous stem cell transplant, I guess two years ago now, and has been in remission since then. My understanding is that it is seen as more manageable a disease than it used to be. I wish both of you the very best.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Adding my well wishes and prayers. (((((sandra)))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My husband's grandma had it but it appeared as a mass on her leg in the muscle. It didn't spread to the blood. She was able to control it (for now) with radiation but they are concerned it will return, unfortunately with this type that is the biggest risk. I do know it is very manageable which is what they told her if the radiation didn't work. I don't have a lot of input on it, wishing your husband the very best!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Sandra, wishing your husband the best.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Also sending best wishes and prayers for healthy days ahead.

Cancer SUCKS.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Glad to see you "stopped by". I hope you and your DH are able to get on top of this bad spot. Perhaps all of the good info that has been given can help you out.

Been through esophageal cancer. Any cancer is no fun. When you can, go for a ride. Come back to TE and enjoy the company and support. We miss you.

Best wishes to you and you DH.

Red Rock

Sandra, sending prayers for your husband. My DH went through colon cancer about 7 years ago & was very sick. He's fine now.

Most importantly, take good care of yourself!! Being a caregiver takes its toll & it is crucial that you make time for you - a bike ride, a massage, whatever you enjoy.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Sandra, my husband is an oncologist (well, was, he just retired recently) and the treatments have come such a long way in the 26 years he was in practice. Case in point...my son's father-in-law was diagnosed right after we met him for the first time, before my son and his daughter were married. My husband thought that he might have 5 years. He has had a bone marrow transplant, chemo and he is thriving now, after ten years. Many, many people are alive for many more years than before. It used to be one of the most difficult to cure, but the new drugs and treatment protocols are far superior now. Go to an oncologist that is recommended by your family doctor, and get a second opinion if you wish.

Thinking of you and praying for you and for your DH's successful treatment. There will be some ups and downs during the therapy but keep the positive in mind and he will do well. The new drugs out there are outstanding and really have extended the life expectancy for a very long time. Good luck and keep us posted, please.

Hugs and more hugs!

My girlfriend's BF has had multiple myeloma for many years.He's just coming off of another round of chemo and getting ready to train for a one week bike tour in the fall. There have been many new treatments for him over the years and his quality of life is good. So far, he is "living with cancer", complete remission has eluded him. Wishing you and your husband excellent and compassionate care - life can be so tough. tokie

Thank you all for your kind words and replies. It seems as though there is no one best option as far as treatment choices. If there was, that's the one that everyone would use. So, there is no right or wrong choice in treatment. We are struggling with trying to just pick one and go on faith.

He could just take oral medications and hopefully get into remission and manage it but if it does it for too long it could make it harder to harvest stem cells. On the other hand, he doesn't want to harvest stem cells if he responded well to treatment and could stay in remission. There's no way of knowing if he will need a stem cell transplant in the future or not.

Cancer really does suck.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."