Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Review: Not Your Daughter's Jeans

I like Levis.

But they are not made in the USA any more.

However.... Not Your Daughter's Jeans ARE made in the USA! http://www.nydj.com/

You've seen the ads, you've heard the hype - and they are niiiiice jeans.

Sizing: First, lets talk about sizes. Size 0 to 24. In regular/tall, petite, and women's. If you need a size 20, you can get a 20 Misses' with a small waist and long inseams. And if you need a 20 Women's Petite that won't cut into your stomach or pile up at your ankles, you can get that too. It makes me giddy just to think about all the permutations of sizing available for just one pair of jeans! Wheeee!

Fit: Yes, they do fit. And they fit very well. No gapping at the waist. The rise is not hovering just above my pubes, it's within shouting distance of my belly-button and the waist falls at a flattering line. No wedgie. The legs are long enough. And all that's with just a pair of "regular" size 16.

Fabric: Not as heavy as a Levi 501, but not as lightweight as a Levi 512 or 529. There is spandex-y goodness to the fabric, so it sculpts. But it isn't too tight.

Do I Look a Size Smaller? The ads and the hang tags claim you will. I don't. I just look like I've got a pair of jeans on that fit me perfectly.

Tummy Tuck and Butt Lift? Again with the ads, and again with the "no." I don't see any lifting or tucking going on. But I look like I'm wearing really comfy jeans. And I am. I was concerned from the ads that there'd be some super-squashy tummy panel in these jeans, but there isn't.

Pockets: Little short pockets, but you can put things in them and stuff won't fall out. They are MUCH more functional than the pockets in my Levi 512's.

Price: Oh. My. They are the most expensive jeans I've ever bought. Like $100. They are made in the USA. That is mighty important to me. (I have family who lost jobs because their company moved to overseas production.) They fit great. Also mighty important to me. I don't regret the $100. I feel I got what I paid for: fabulous fit and made here. And they do fit very well.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

And here I thought I was alone in my love of my NYDJ. I managed to find some on sale through Zappos in a really nice gray color I can wear to work. (We have a bizzaro dress code - no blue jeans, but any other color is fine)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I feel I got what I paid for: fabulous fit and made here. And they do fit very well.
    Well, there you go. You'll likely wear them much more than you would a less expensive but less-well fitting pair.

Thanks for the review, I'll check them out.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Love the review, so I checked their site.

I'm too simple and out of touch with popular culture for this--Marilyn and Twiggy I get, although I can't really tell the difference by the pictures. What characterizes Lori and Barbara?

Barbara Eden? Stanwick? Uh--the one that married Ringo? Oh Bach!?
    I can't think of Lori anybody, except for girls I knew in high school--maybe I should look for them on facebook!

Maybe I'll follow up with NYD when I get the new-clothes-for-school itch in the fall.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Diamond Gusset Jeans are also made in the USA and they have a gusseted crotch FYI and they are under 60 dollars
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Diamond Gusset Jeans are also made in the USA and they have a gusseted crotch FYI and they are under 60 dollars
    Yes they are

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=23285
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I keep seeing these, but have been too lazy to try them on, especially since I recently discovered Lucky jeans (the ones with the more generous leg fit) and have been really enjoying those. I will have to try them on next time I am at Nordstrom. Thanks for the review.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes