Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Merrell bought Chaco

I really wish Chaco had stayed in the US and independently owned
    Bummer...I didn't know that. I saw Michigan on the box and assumed they had been made in the US, which I really liked.

I also read on the website that they could be washed in a washing machine -- I thought that was pretty darn cool!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I also read on the website that they could be washed in a washing machine -- I thought that was pretty darn cool!
    It is - them mean it - and I do! I still love them
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I wore them to work today for the first time (yes, I have a very casual workplace!) They will definitely take some breaking in. No blisters, but the cross straps were noticeable and rubbed somewhat, especially since I did quite a bit of walking (to the bus stop, into work, about 1/2 mile each before and after work), all over our huge building at work, etc. I still have some redness here or there on my feet where the straps hit, so I won't be wearing them tomorrow! Like any sandals, I will just have to toughen up. I still think I'll like them a lot once I do that.

One of the reasons I wore them today is because rain was in the forecast for the afternoon, and I knew they'd do fine if they got wet walking to/from the bus stop coming home. And they got soaked, but did just fine.

The footbeds are very, very comfy. When I was just standing up, but not walking, I thought they felt GREAT.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    I have a leg-length discrepancy, and had a custom shoe lift installed by a Chaco-'partnered' cobbler who is in Colorado near their original headquarters.
    Hello. I'm in the same boat and wanting to get a lift installed. I've checked with a local cobbler and curious if shipping it off would be better. Do you recall the price?

Cheers!

Hi Kennaclimo, I've responded to your PM!
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

From living two years in super hot and sweaty Singapore, my rule of thumb for avoinding blisters-

No matter how worn in or comfortable a pair of shoes NEVER wear the same pair two days in a row.

Day One- feet fine.

Day Two- they will blister.

Swap between at least 2 pairs of shoes and you shouldn't get blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I wore them to work today for the first time (yes, I have a very casual workplace!) They will definitely take some breaking in. No blisters, but the cross straps were noticeable and rubbed somewhat, especially since I did quite a bit of walking (to the bus stop, into work, about 1/2 mile each before and after work), all over our huge building at work, etc. I still have some redness here or there on my feet where the straps hit, so I won't be wearing them tomorrow! Like any sandals, I will just have to toughen up. I still think I'll like them a lot once I do that.

One of the reasons I wore them today is because rain was in the forecast for the afternoon, and I knew they'd do fine if they got wet walking to/from the bus stop coming home. And they got soaked, but did just fine.

The footbeds are very, very comfy. When I was just standing up, but not walking, I thought they felt GREAT.
    I find that it's not that the bands need much breaking in, but more my feet needed some strategic calluses. Since I acquired those-- no problems!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    I find that it's not that the bands need much breaking in, but more my feet needed some strategic calluses. Since I acquired those-- no problems!
    I wear my Chacos all the time down here in Belize! That said, I have never been able to get really comfortable in them for longer walks; I think because the model I got does not have back of heel straps, so they flap, and I end up wasting a lot of "foot energy" clamping down with my toe. Thus I go slower and my feet get tired in time. But I wear them to ride my beach bike and then do our shopping and short jaunts around town, and they're great for that. I have very funny tan lines on my feet!

For longer walks where I need to walk faster, I still prefer my trail runners, though they are certainly hotter. Or my Tevas, since they strap around the heel so I don't waste energy clamping down with my toes.
    Emily

I think my first pair of chacos may need to be retired

They are about 10 years old, too worn out to re-sole, and I'm starting to get weird pain across the top of my foot when I wear them too long. But I love them too much to remember that.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    As much as I liked the idea of sandals that can be resoled, I ultimately decided the Chacos were way too heavy and clunky for me and bought a pair of Teva Zilch sandals this spring. If Chaco came up with a minimalist style like that and made it so the sole/straps could be replaced, I'd be first in line to get a pair! However, their current styles just aren't there.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Straps can be replaced on Chacos.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Straps can be replaced on Chacos.
    Straps, soles, it can be remade again and again. Knott has a pair that's made the trip back several times. Eventually they can get to the point that it can't be repaired.

I'm ready to love them even more once again. They've brought back a few styles being made in the US!

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com...de-in-usa.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I'm ready to love them even more once again. They've brought back a few styles being made in the US!
    Huh. Good to know. I had written them off.

Here is the MyChacos site for custom made in the USA Chacos.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

So my second pair of Chacos are about 5 years old, and I noticed yesterday that the lugged part of the sole (Unaweep sole) is peeling off from the toes of both shoes. Now, at 5 years old, that could be normal wear and tear, except that the pair I have that is 10 years old (with the less-rugged Colorado soles), that I continued to wear as my favorites after I bought the second pair, are still in one piece. The soles are extremely worn, but not peeling. I know I can get them re-soled, but I sort of wonder if it's worth it now. I'm kind of unhappy about this.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Great to hear about CHaco!
    In my Opinion, You can get them resoled, too.