Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Ride with Plain Ol' Platform Pedals, No Clips or Nothin'?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was reading this article about riding without specialized shoes and pedals, and it got me thinking about giving it a try.

Currently I use toe clips...simply because I'm used to them, and clipless still kinda scares me. I like how secure I feel when I stand up to pedal, but otherwise I don't really know how necessary they are. My riding is either commuting, where I wear my work shoes (sneakers or trail shoes) or leisurely weekend rides. I notice that I experience less fatigue when I wear cycling shoes (these) but perhaps a larger platform pedal would accomplish the same thing?

Are there any "free pedalers" out there? What pedals do you use? How secure do you feel on those occasions when you stand up and stomp on the pedals?

Would love to hear some feedback!

My mountain bike has a flat (with teeth) pedal on the left, clipped in on right. Road bike I have Look clipless pedals, and my beater I have flat pedals.
    I can do five more miles.

I have clipless pedals (SPDs) on my road bike, but my next bike purchase will likely be a hybrid or flat-bar road bike (haven't decided yet) for commuting, and I'm just going to put platform or possibly BMX pedals on it. I figure a semi-urban or college campus-type commute, with all its stopping and starting, will give me none of the benefits of clipless but all the hassles.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yep, me. I have jumbo platform pedals on my new bike and rode pedals with out toe or any other kind of clip system on my old bike. While I believe myself to be a bit on the fearless side, this is one area I am fearful over and that would be riding with my feet attached somehow to the pedals. Nope. Not for me. I admire the courage of those who do, though.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

My bike has flats, but I "lose" the pedals too often when I take it offroad. My shins don't need any more holes dug in them from the teeth on the pedals, so I'm thinking of swapping back to spds here soon.

On my road rides & commute, I haven't felt the urge to go clipless there yet.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'm another one who loves nice grippy wide pedals, I love my DMR V12 Mag Pedals.

Secretly would like to try the SPD's but not brave enough, don't like the thought of not being able to unclip quickly.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I have flats on my commuter and xtracycle bikes. The Masi mixte has Black Ops BMX pedals. The X has Shimano DX pedals. The Blacks Ops are alright, but I don't love them. They do beat the heck out of the plastic platforms that were stock on that bike though. My feet were constantly slipping off those stock pedals. I do love the Shimano DX pedals. They replaced a pair of bear traps that came with the Trek frame. I have not had my feet slip off of the DX even in wet conditions. Also, I can stand up and pedal in them without any issues. I highly recommend the DX pedals. Even at double the price of the Black Ops, they have been well worth it in my opinion.

My Black Ops pedals are similar to these, but not the exact same ones. Mine don't have the Bulletproof written on them, just their regular logo.

These are the exact Shimano DX pedals that I have. Mine came with a second set of the pedal spikes that are slightly longer than the ones already installed on the pedals, but I haven't felt the need to change them out. The stock spikes make the pedals plenty grippy enough for me.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I have clipless pedals (SPDs) on my road bike, but my next bike purchase will likely be a hybrid or flat-bar road bike (haven't decided yet) for commuting, and I'm just going to put platform or possibly BMX pedals on it. I figure a semi-urban or college campus-type commute, with all its stopping and starting, will give me none of the benefits of clipless but all the hassles.
    I decided on Friday's commute to switch my pedals back to flats. The sections I am on road, are through areas with lots of driveways, harried delivery trucks and the such. Too much possibility for suddden stops - and well, I still am not that automatic in my clip out response. I'm okay for normal road riding, but increasingly uncomfortable on the commute.
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I pedal to my heart's content on big honkin' BMX platform pedals and I am proud of it! I use Wellgo MG-1 on my mtbs and Tioga Spyder pedals on my zippy bike. The only time I feel I am at a disadvantage to using platforms is when I want to sprint or use more of my upstroke. Otherwise I am pretty happy with my setup. Hope you are too.

I have plain ol' flat pedals on my LeMond road bike. I've actually never even thought twice about standing up on them, so I must feel pretty secure. I can't say that I've ever had any foot slippage--I've ridden it in Keen sandals and running shoes. I don't know the model of the pedals, but I know they're silver metal and I'm pretty sure they say Dimension on them.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

I rode clipless for about 3 years. I tried them all but never liked being attached. I thought that any serious rider HAD to ride clipless. I finally put lightweight platform pedals on my bikes and I love them. No slipping and I don't care what others think, and I now enjoy riding more.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I personally love my frog pedals so they are on both bikes but my DH who is a way more accomplished rider and gone completely back to platforms and even rides them mostly in crocs of all things. He says he doesn't lose anything inefficiency at all but gains in lateral movement and over all comfortability. It is kind of funny to see him all decked out in riding gear from his head to his knees and then hope on his carbon road bike with crocs and platform pedals but it works for him.
    I pedal for chocolate

1999 Klein Quantum - Terry butterfly Ti
    2011 Trek Utopia - Bontrager Nebula Plus...for now

When I ride platforms I ride Sunringle Zuzu BMX pedals, that is how I roll...couldn't resist saying that

I detest regular platform pedals because my feet tend to bounce off and I strongly dislike that, they work for others. The nice things about these pedals is the pins are adjustable. Currently only my mountain bike has BMX pedals, my other two bikes have Frogs and SPDs - eventually I will replace the SPD pedals on my LHT with either Frogs or return to BMX pedals for that bike. When my skills have advanced Frogs will be on my mountain bike

The point is to ride however you are most comfortable. Nothing wrong with ANY kind of pedal system.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.

I have platform; LBS thought I needed new ones -- no doubt I did -- and put new ones on. I didn't pay attention what they were.

I love BMX pedals.

All three of my bikes have them:

Waterford has elegant sexy MKS Lambda pedals http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....179083&TID=367

Surly Cross Check has brutal burly Crank Brothers 5050 pedals, with adjustable spikes, which I really love http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_5050.php

Giant "Resurrectio" has basic MKS fixed-spikes pedals which are very similar to the Kona Jacksh*t pedals http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...m=051435000203 (I can't find a page of my pedals, but these are close)

I have a pair of Speedplay Frogs that I can pop onto any of my bikes at will, because I also have a PEDAL WRENCH (every woman should have one) with an extra long handle, and I know how to use it! Stand back, I'm going to use LEVERAGE!

But by far I prefer my BMX pedals. (Mind you, the farthest I've gone in one day on BMX pedals is only 84 miles, so don't take my enthusiasm as a ringing endorsement for BMX pedals for long distances.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson