Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Selle Italia: Lady Gel Flow vs Diva Gel Flow

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

As my name indicates, in my saddle search I am still looking for "the one". I got into road biking last year and have a few hundred miles under my belt (including my first metric century this past weekend).

I am currently riding a Selle Italia "Lady Gel Flow". It is a big improvement over saddles that I've had in the past, but I'm still getting chafed in the soft tissue area and the rubbing on my inner thigh makes me think that it is a little too wide for me. I'm pretty sore after this last weekend's ride.

Has anyone ridden both the "Lady Gel Flow" and the "Diva Gel Flow"? The Diva appears to be a little narrower (153mm vs 160mm wide), firmer (?), and has a larger cutout. I feel like I'm pretty close with the "Lady" and am leaning towards trying the "Diva" but am hoping that someone can comment on the firmness and width (I'm seeing differing reports) before I drop $125 on one.

I've been going with progressively firmer saddles and it seems to be the right direction for me. Switching from "gel" chamois shorts to thinner padded ones has also helped.

Thanks,
    ST

The inner thigh chafing might be a sign that the saddle is too "pear"-shaped (ie, the transition between the nose and the rest of the saddle is too gradual) for your particular anatomy. I mention this because I have the same problem with the SI Lady Gel Flow.

7mm may not seem like a lot, but it can make a big difference. Have you measured your sitbones to make sure that the 153mm is in fact somewhat wider than your sitbones? If you haven't, there are several threads on here telling you how to do it (so you don't have to go to the LBS and sit on the buttometer!).
    The other reason for measuring your sitbones with the Diva is the really big cutout--some have a tendency to sink into the cutout, resulting in more pain. (They'll tell you about that once they chime in!) So make sure your sitbones are wider than the width of that cutout. I'm not saying that it won't work, it's just something to be aware of. (This is actually my reason for staying away from the Diva.)

I get the impression that the feel of the saddle otherwise is not all that different from the Lady Gel Flow, though since I haven't tried it, I'll let others comment on it.

Hopefully this helps!
    Last edited by Owlie; 05-23-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Because I can't type.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I absolutely could not handle the Diva. I still got chafing. I finally settled on the Specialized BG Ruby (155) and a Jett (155). I can deal with either of those. I think this means for me the Diva was too pear shaped and I needed the more T shaped ones. YMMV

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

I got measured tonight using a method I found on another post here. Wooden chair, feet elevated about 8 inches, rocked side to side on a damp paper towel that was between two sheets of paper.

We tried several times and always got numbers in the 142 range (from center to center of the ovals left in the paper). My hubby (as you both said) thinks that the SI is probably ok on width but "flares out too fast" (his words).

I checked out a Jett and Ruby today. The Ruby seems a lot firmer than my current saddle, so I'm a bit iffy about it. The Jett seems like it may be too much padding. I don't to sink in the rear and chafe in the front. The store had neither size in a 155, but with a 30 day return policy, I feel pretty safe in trying both.

Thank you for the input!

ST

According to Specialized's website, there are two different versions of the Jett, at different prices ($85 vs $110). The cheaper seems to have a bit more padding and chro-moly rails, and the more expensive one seems to be a slightly more padded version of the Ruby.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I got a Specialized Ruby 143 demo saddle at the LBS. I was reluctant to take it because of my sitbone measurements, but it's basically a free demo, so there was nothing to lose.

It's surprisingly good! I immediately noticed that there is more sitbone pressure vs the Lady Gel Flow but waaay less crotch pressure (yay!).

It did feel like it could go nose down a bit. My hubby tipped the nose down a bit and as you can see, it's not level (slightly tipped down) using a nose/tail measurement, but the middle of the saddle is still not quite level. Should I be leveling this saddle based on the middle?

Thanks,
    ST (might be changing my name soon!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02916.jpg 
Views:	1098 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	13173  

I had a Lady Gel Flow and had exactly the same issues you had, soretaco. It was both too wide and too pear-shaped for me (and too squishy). I'm on a Specialized Jett 143 and have been much happier, though I am trying to get my hands on a Fizik Donna from my LBS, since it has a channel running the length of the saddle, instead of a cut-out, I have some issues that I attribute to pinching at the front of the cut-out.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thumbs up Selle Italia Lady vs. Diva Gel Flow (and Cobb/Adamo)

I tried the Lady before the Diva because that's what a shop had to demo, after my body refused to get back on my bike with the Cobb demo I tried for my Scott CR1 Comp, first road bike. I found the Lady too narrow and hard for comfort (as was the Cobb, which felt like a 2 by 4). I then, after much research tried the Diva Gel Flow and it was noticeably and immediately more comfortable, and became my seat of choice, just the right size and amount of cushion and best gel placement for comfort for basic road riding (weekly commuting, 12-36 mi. + weekend warrior riding, 20-50 mi.; I'm not a Tri gal). So I would recommend it, and in fact, I just bought another Diva Gel Flow for my new Scott CX Comp. However, I want to try an Adamo Road or Century saddle.

I think the Adamo Century is comparable to the Diva in size and it has gel inserts, but is designed with a short, split nose to alleviate pressure and the effects of reduced blood flow caused by riding on traditional bike seats. Certain Adamo models are very similar to the Cobb, but once I find a demo program, I'm going to try the Century model if available.

I had considered Lady and Diva recently. After looking up user comments in the internet, I settled for Lady. I have ridden on it for more than 1000k (including one ride of 600k).

As for Lady:
    1. it doesn't rub my inner thighs much - my initial worry
    2. it solves the pain over the sit bones caused by the pressure, as compared to Specialized Romin SL (155mm)

I never try Diva so I don't know which one is best for me. I chose the wider Lady because it might be better for the long ride (> 600k). I need a good support over the sit bones and slight padding -- not too soft nor too hard -- is a welcome.

Diva has a larger cut-off, but I'm not sure how the shape is holding after a long ride (whether "sink" into the hole?).

IMO, saddle is just too personal. Without testing by yourself, you never know which one is best for you.

I demo'd a Lady and I liked it! I've since returned it but I'll keep it in mind.

I want to try the Diva too. I couldn't find one to demo so I just went ahead and ordered one from REI. So I can return it if I don't like it.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon