Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Winding Road, I was typing as you posted...and I couldn't agree more. Well said
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    No; it would be Switzerlandsteel.

Mr. Bloom referred to meeting me yesterday, and Jobob perceived that as name dropping on his part. Sorry, but I felt implicated to some degree. In the very least, I wanted to make it clear that I haven't, nor do I plan on, taking sides.
    no, that doesn't implicate you, instead it makes you a personnage! someone able to hold the lofty name of Switzerlandsteel...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bloom View Post
    Now, to all, let the issue rest.
    Seriously? You're telling US that???! In THIS thread?

I think that in seven words you've managed to completely and thoroughly answer lph's question.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    +1 with Oakleaf's latest comment/reaction.

Anyway, in terms of my some fear of heights, etc., no my dearie has been sympathetic to me and other stuff. I don't see it as a guy thing, it's just easier to discuss coping mechanisms more easily with a bunch of gals vs. with a bunch of guys. Easier to talk about such problems with a guy individually.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Mr Bloom, you were not even mentioned in this thread, until you decided to make it about you and your "controversy". Don't be surprised when you are jumped on afterwards, you are well aware of the feelings of many of the TE regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    My, I'm wordy tonight. So - why are you here on TE, and is it important to you that it's a women's forum?
    Hi LPH, interesting question. In my case, I grew up around bikes and just love to read/write/talk about cycling.
    No, it does not matter to me wheher it's a women or men or mixed forum - what matters is the content, and I see many interesting discussions here. Actually, I teand to read the bike forums more often than TE, mostly because the 'racing/training/race report/pro cycling' sections are a bit more active there, but I enjoy both BF and TE.
    A few things I especially like about TE: one is that we write better than on most online environments Seriously, there seems to be less of that teenager-like language, made of cryptic abbreviations and terrible grammar, that is so commonly observed online... another one is that it seems to be easier to get together with TE folks, I guess there's a bit more 'online-trust' here, if such a thing exists , and when we see an opportunity to meet up and ride together we go out of our way to make it happen.
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it better. Thank you, Jo.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Mr Bloom, you were not even mentioned in this thread, until you decided to make it about you and your "controversy". Don't be surprised when you are jumped on afterwards, you are well aware of the feelings of many of the TE regulars.
    Yup. A thread with a general question to the women here about why they choose to post on a women's cycling forum.

I left TE for a while, partly because of physical issues that stopped me from riding but partly because of Mr. Silver. The overwhelming paternalistic tone of his posts irks me to no end. I get enough of that IRL, I don't need it when I come to a forum by and for WOMEN. Fortunately the ignore feature works well here and I don't have to be subjected to his "father knows best" tone.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Ditto.

Yup. A thread with a general question to the women here about why they choose to post on a women's cycling forum.

I left TE for a while, partly because of physical issues that stopped me from riding but partly because of Mr. Silver. The overwhelming paternalistic tone of his posts irks me to no end. I get enough of that IRL, I don't need it when I come to a forum by and for WOMEN. Fortunately the ignore feature works well here and I don't have to be subjected to his "father knows best" tone.
    I suspect men in a typical men's forum would not put up with that tone and would respond unkindly. If we were men, we'd tell him to hightail it out of our forum using some crude language. Because we're mainly women, we find better ways to deal with an unpleasant (for some) situation, thus making it a "safe" place to be.

I have wondered if the mods ever check on who is the most ignored poster. OMG, what if it's me?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I suspect men in a typical men's forum would not put up with that tone and would respond unkindly. If we were men, we'd tell him to hightail it out of our forum using some crude language. Because we're mainly women, we find better ways to deal with an unpleasant (for some) situation, thus making it a "safe" place to be.

I have wondered if the mods ever check on who is the most ignored poster. OMG, what if it's me?

Veronica
    I spend a lot of time on motorcycling forums and you are 100% correct. And anytime someone presents themselves as "the voice" or expert about a given topic, 100 other men will be along shortly to question/probe/debunk/argue the points made all the while using language that is almost poetic in it's depth of profanity. Then, if there were any doubt cast on the posters expertise, they would hound the guy every single time he tries to "share his expertise" in the future.

I LOVE TE!

Electra Townie 7D

Indysteel, I am very sorry that my comment caused you distress. That was not at all my intention.

And after many rounds of editing, I'll leave it at that.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I am very new to this forum, and I had never heard of Bloom or Silver before this thread. I probably should butt out but it isn't my nature. My spouse and I used to post on a particular forum. I had posted on the forum a couple of years before he started there. I was a founder and a moderator/administrator. My spouse and I split. He graciously left the forum. In return, I never talk about him at all on that forum. (For all I know he reads it, but he no longer posts there.) Awkwardness avoided.

As I understand it, Mr. Bloom remains as a forum participant and Silver is uncomfortable, rarely posting as she feels that she lost the forum in their divorce. Given that this forum is primarily for women, Bloom should do the gracious thing and leave. Silver has better rights to the place than he does.

As far as most ignored posters, in the forum I moderated we would sometimes send messages to posters that were ignored by a large number of users and suggest that they might want to change their style. We also would take into consideration the ignore list when deciding whether to ban someone.

What an ugly thread this has become.

I don't think it is in the least ugly.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I don't think it is in the least ugly.
    Agreed. Sometimes topics need to be discussed, even when they're not about happy or light subjects.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Indysteel, I am very sorry that my comment caused you distress. That was not at all my intention.

And after many rounds of editing, I'll leave it at that.
    Jo, you didn't cause me distress, dear. Like I said, I just wanted to emphasize my neutrality--for Silver's sake as much as anybody else.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher