Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

to bib or not to bib

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,
    I'm semi-new to road cycling (in my 2nd season), and will be doing a 62.5 miler in June. Suddenly, I have the desire for comfort! Mainly in the form of compression and heavenly clouds of chamois. Are bibs any better?

I personally only use bib shorts. know it takes more time and is a bit more of a pain when taking a nature break but for me is worth it as I really like the fit and comfort of bibs.

I've looked at the kind with a snap in the back for easy "pit stops", and also tried to find reviews. Not a lot of reviews out there - no one mentioning whether straps slip, or if that snap in the back really makes it easier or not. I have a short torso without a lot of shoulder....I can't even find a store locally that sells women-specific bibs in order to try on a pair!

I wear regular bike shorts. Not bibs. Why? 1) I'm poor and can't afford the extra $$ that bibs cost, and 2)I don't really want to disrobe if I have to pee.

I realize that there are advantages to using bibs (like the chamois doesn't migrate), but I can't get past those two reasons for not buying/wearing them.

Pearl Izumi has drop-tail bibs with a zipper, if you're interested:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_11211110.html
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I love!!!! my bib tights(I have the Gore windstoppers)! And I think I would love bib shorts. But I don't have any bib shorts.

I already have several regular shorts and bib shorts are expensive. Also, when I wear bibs I want only jerseys that unzip all the way, easier to get off to "potty". all my winter gear is like that, but my summer stuff is not.

I haven't read good reviews on the drop tail bib's but would be willing to try to type that has a clip in the front.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I wear regular bike shorts. Not bibs. Why? 1) I'm poor and can't afford the extra $$ that bibs cost, and 2)I don't really want to disrobe if I have to pee.

I realize that there are advantages to using bibs (like the chamois doesn't migrate), but I can't get past those two reasons for not buying/wearing them.

Pearl Izumi has drop-tail bibs with a zipper, if you're interested:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_11211110.html
    Actually the PI drop-tail bibs do NOT have a zipper. Basically, it's just a piece of material that "tucks" into the back of the shorts. When you have to go potty, you just gently pull down the shorts. However, if you're in a big hurry to drop your drawers, I can see the potential for ripping them...so be careful and pull them down gently. I have this pair of bibs, but haven't worn them on a ride yet. I'm still debating whether or not I want to return them because of the potential to rip the shorts thing.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    I love!!!! my bib tights(I have the Gore windstoppers)! And I think I would love bib shorts. But I don't have any bib shorts.

I already have several regular shorts and bib shorts are expensive. Also, when I wear bibs I want only jerseys that unzip all the way, easier to get off to "potty". all my winter gear is like that, but my summer stuff is not.

I haven't read good reviews on the drop tail bib's but would be willing to try to type that has a clip in the front.
    silver...are these the Gore bibtights that you have? How is the sizing on them? I was thinking of getting these to use for this winter at this great price.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Actually the PI drop-tail bibs do NOT have a zipper. Basically, it's just a piece of material that "tucks" into the back of the shorts. When you have to go potty, you just gently pull down the shorts. However, if you're in a big hurry to drop your drawers, I can see the potential for ripping them...so be careful and pull them down gently. I have this pair of bibs, but haven't worn them on a ride yet. I'm still debating whether or not I want to return them because of the potential to rip the shorts thing.
    Thanks for the correction...my brain must be out of the office today.

That does sound a little risky...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    silver...are these the Gore bibtights that you have? How is the sizing on them? I was thinking of getting these to use for this winter at this great price.
    Yes! And that's a great deal! They are really great! Sizing....I'll have to say I ordered both the small and the medium. I usually wore medium shorts at the time and needed the small tights. So that means....they run big? ... I'm on the tall side and will say that the small was a little short on me... I usually wear some knee compression socks under them just to make sure no skin shows between my tights and my socks. But the bib straps are fine. (I'm probably more normal height torso and long legs)
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Yes! And that's a great deal! They are really great! Sizing....I'll have to say I ordered both the small and the medium. I usually wore medium shorts at the time and needed the small tights. So that means....they run big? ... I'm on the tall side and will say that the small was a little short on me... I usually wear some knee compression socks under them just to make sure no skin shows between my tights and my socks. But the bib straps are fine. (I'm probably more normal height torso and long legs)
    Thanks! I just ordered a pair. At 50% off, I simply couldn't pass 'em up. I ended up ordering a size Large, since I do have a pair of Gore Ozon Shorts in a Large...so I hope I got the right size.

Linda

Thanks! Good stuff to keep in mind....the jury's still out (and the funds, too).

Bibs are the best! I get decent clothing prices through my team. The custom orders are also the only way I can find my size in bibs.

I used to have non-bib winter tights, because those are easier to find, but I finally splurged on some winter bib tights and will never go back.

Do any of you long-torsoed folks have bibs that you like? I can't wear normal one-piece bathing suits b/c they're too short so I've always been afraid of trying bibs...

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I have a long torso, and have worn the Giordana Tenax bib shorts now for a couple of years. I LOVVVVE them and will definitely buy a few more pair when the opportunity arises.

I have a great option. I used to wear SheBeest shorts, but they've changed their style/fabric I returned them and ordered the Louis Garneau Neo Power shorts (thanks for the staff pick!)

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodLG_1050369.html

It's hard to see in the pic, but they don't have elastic--just very snug, higher-than-normal waist band. Highly recommend them!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17