Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am also too long in the torso for one piece bathing suits, but I haven't had any problem with bibs. I tend to wear men's, though, for other fit reasons, so even in XS sizes, the straps fit. Newer Voler stuff has ridiculously stretchy straps, so if you are wary, I'd recommend that brand.

I'd say my Giordanna bibs are a little bit short, though they are ok in the riding position. Champion are snug but not too tight. I don't feel the Voler ones at all, but they don't do much good keeping things snug when the rest of the shorts start to stretch out after a while.

My women's Assos tights bib straps are quite short even on the longest loop (the bibs on these detach with a Y shape in the front, and there are 3 loops in the front to choose from to connect the strap). I've had the Assos come undone once on a ride, which was more comfy for my gut but not so comfy for my neck (from the Y shape that goes over your head). I have really skinny calves so I went with the slim fitting small size. Maybe if I could go up to medium they'd fit taller? They fit better after wearing a few times because I think they stretched out in the butt so I can pull them up a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Thanks for the correction...my brain must be out of the office today.

That does sound a little risky...
    I have two of these and there haven't been any problem with ripping the fabric. I REALLY like my drop-tail bibs and they actually mean I WILL visit a corn field or bushes if I need to do so - am less likely to do that with regular shorts.

The 2011 PI drop-tail bib shorts have been redesigned and they are much easier to use/pull down than the 2010 version.

I switched to mainly bibs this year and love them. Yes, the bathroom thing is a pain, but I've found it less awkward to just wear a light baselayer so I can remove my jersey before hitting a porta potty. Full zip helps for that.

Voler.com tends to have cheap (like $30) bibs on sale that are samples for their teams. For that price, I figured they were worth a try and I quickly discovered how much better I could breath and move with them on.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I have two of these and there haven't been any problem with ripping the fabric. I REALLY like my drop-tail bibs and they actually mean I WILL visit a corn field or bushes if I need to do so - am less likely to do that with regular shorts.

The 2011 PI drop-tail bib shorts have been redesigned and they are much easier to use/pull down than the 2010 version.
    Yes, mine are the 2011 drop tails...but I don't have a pair of the 2010 version so I have nothing to compare them to. They still seem like they would be easy to rip...at least during my own personal "simulation" tests where I put them on and then pretended to pull them down. I can't seem to pull the shorts down far enough to comfortably "sit", which makes me think that if I pulled them any further they might rip.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Yes, mine are the 2011 drop tails...but I don't have a pair of the 2010 version so I have nothing to compare them to. They still seem like they would be easy to rip...at least during my own personal "simulation" tests where I put them on and then pretended to pull them down. I can't seem to pull the shorts down far enough to comfortably "sit", which makes me think that if I pulled them any further they might rip.
    They do take a little practice, but have had no problem using them at home or at a porta-potty. At least that has been my experience...the corn isn't growing yet so haven't yet tried them in a corn field or in the bushes just yet.

June Update

Well, I went with purchasing a higher-end short - LG Neo Power shorts, after reading all your excellent replies and the reviews of the product. Awesome shorts, and cheaper than bibs. Did the 62.5 miles (plus a 12 mile "peloton" for top fundraisers) with those shorts and Mad Alchemy La Femme chamois creme, and I was a happy camper! As I peeled off the shorts at the 50 mile pit stop, I thought, "Sure am glad I'm not wearing bibs!"

Quote Originally Posted by dinbuffalo View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm semi-new to road cycling (in my 2nd season), and will be doing a 62.5 miler in June. Suddenly, I have the desire for comfort! Mainly in the form of compression and heavenly clouds of chamois. Are bibs any better?
    I don't know about compression or chamois quality (most chamois feel comfortable to me) - but in my opinion bibs in general are more comfortable because they have no waist elastic band.
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

I love my drop-tail PI bibs! Not only is there no waistband, but the drop-tail makes it easier for me to answer calls of nature. I seem to be more resistant to taking care of business with regular shorts.

I've also found that while I do like Terry chamois, for rides longer than 1.5 hours I really need PI 3D chamois.

After I got my first pair of bibs I was a convert! Yes on long rides it does take a little longer to potty but I don't have to deal with the annoyance of shorts the roll or bind due to the elastic waist. Plus you just develop the technique of getting them off. When my friend got hers as part of her team kit she knew why I had been telling her for so long she had to try them. Another convert.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I have the 2010 PI drop bibs and like them a lot but may have to try the 2011 because I would not mind if they were just a tad easier to "pull away." I have not had any fears of ripping them.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Norsegoddess View Post
    I have the 2010 PI drop bibs and like them a lot but may have to try the 2011 because I would not mind if they were just a tad easier to "pull away." I have not had any fears of ripping them.
    The 2011 version appear to be cut just a tad smaller than the 2010 in case that matters. At least the small size appears to be.

After using bibs on races regular shorts just didn't feel good. I prefer to take more time answering the calls of nature, than loosing the bibs awesome fit.

I really like the Twin Six women's bibs I got from fatcyclist.com (the ones Fatty sells as xmas gifts). I think they cost around $80....worth every penny! I can hardly stand to wear shorts any more when the bibs are dirty.