Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike To Work Festivities?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone got anything special going on for Bike To Work Day? Ours is tomorrow, and there will be free coffee/giveaways, the chance to ride with the mayor to city hall, and a big block party in the afternoon. It's supposed to be beautiful here tomorrow, so I'm really looking forward to partaking in the fun.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm leading a bike commuter convoy to downtown where the Mayor will speak, the media will be there, and then the Mayor will get on his bike and ride to city all with all of us in tow.

I don't know when it is here, but I haven't ridden to work this week. This cold rain is atrocious. I can take one or the other, but I've had it...drove all week

So on that note, I hope ours is a) not tomorrow and b) has something cool planned that I find out about ahead of time.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Portland, OR's is tomorrow. There is a big info gathering from 9-1 with speakers, information booths and the like.

Specific to our work, we are having a waffle and fruit breakfast for the bike commuters coming that day, hopefully adding a few new riders. To help the curious, we had a bike commuting brown bag on monday to answer questions.

Weather-wise, we are suppose to have another awesome, dry spring day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

I've been talking up Bike to Work Day at my office and promised food for anyone who rides in - fruit, muffins, juice, granola bars. We're doing it tomorrow. But wouldn't you know it, despite living in a very dry part of the world, it's been cold and rainy all week. I mean really rainy. Tomorrow is only a 50% chance of more rain but morning temps will be in the 40s. I know at least 3 of us will ride, but quite possibly no one else. Oh well, granola bars keep.

What's wrong with this picture? The Portland & Seattle women are posting about beautiful spring days while those of us in Colorado & Utah are suffering through cold & rain. Portland & Seattle women, won't you please take your weather back.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I'll be (wo)manning one of the booths with my teamies - our title sponsor is also bike to work months title sponsor, so we *need* to be there

And no Denver - you keep it we don't want it no no no no no no no its been way to long since we've seen the sun for more than one day in a row and if it starts to rain again I'm going to throw a great big tantrum......
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    if it starts to rain again I'm going to throw a great big tantrum......
    Don't look at the weekend weather forecast.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

The other day we had more rainfall than in the entire month's average for May. So I'd say we're long overdue for some nice weather!!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

After a bit of very specific googling, I determined that Colorado's bike to work day is June 22 (June is officially bike month in CO? Apparently? News to me!).

And the sun is out right now but I woke up too late based on the weather forecast so I have to drive today anyway.

On the flip side, there's so much snow in the mountains that Aspen is re-opening the slopes for Memorial Day weekend.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

This is the first Bike to Work Day that I've missed in several years (well, I'm not missing work--just the biking part). DH took a job with bad hours and a bad commute, so my day now revolves around transporting my son: going in to work late so I can get him on hs bus in the morning, picking him up in the afternoon to get him to his afterschool program, then rushing home to get there before he gets home from that program. So cycling to work is no longer possible. I'm looking forward to the summer when my sister will be our babysitter and I can go back to commuting by bike again, at least once in a while.

I missed the usual festivities at the mall near work today--good food, lots of freebies, and the chance to check out other people's commuter bikes. Sigh. Maybe next year.

We've been getting a lot of rain this week, but this morning would have been good for commuting--overcast and neither hot nor cold, and so far the rain is holding off. Not sure that'll be the case at the end of the day--I've left work every day this week in a heavy downpour.

We did our Bike to Work day in April. I've been encouraging people to bike to work today also! I biked to work today, of course.

I LIKE the nice spring weather, after the frost advisory immediately followed by a heat advisory earlier this month. Yes, it's supposed to rain for the next few days, but it won't be cold. I can handle that!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I biked to work today for the first time. I've biked to my office before, but never on a work day. I met up at a pit stop with 5 other people from my center and we biked to the office together. We got a nice tshirt and water bottle, but more imporantly, I BIKED TO WORK. I'd love to try and do this every Tuesday and Friday. I have to keep thinking how much better shape I will be in if I do that. It was about 12.8 miles today, but that was with the pit stop. Without that, it is about 10+ miles home to work.

My bike is sitting in my office with me and it makes me smile. I'm getting teased for not leaving it on the bike rack outside but I tell people that I would miss it if it was outside.

LA's was yesterday. My office had 7 people ride, which out of 40 or so people, isn't half bad. We had a raffle with a timbuk2 bag filled with goodies like a water bottle, cliff bars and a $25 gift certificate to the LBS. I'm proud to say I organized this.

Editing because...

The ride was great! We had rain and strong winds earlier in the week, but yesterday was beautiful!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Ours is today. They had a big to-do in the park with coffee and bagels, SWAG, Mayor spoke, etc. It's wet and nasty here, and I got pretty cruddy coming in!
    I can do five more miles.